United States
YMCA
Sunny
Total Time = 53m 43s
Overall Rank = 14/193
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/7
Pre-race routine:

Ate some oatmeal and a banana while running out the door. Driving there we hit every red light there could be plus a drawbridge went up as we just got to the bridge.
Event warmup:

Went to get my number and said hello to a few locals I knew and found out that there was no swim. That kinda blows, because the swim is usually my best event, but I we don't want anyone drowning.
Run
  • 12m 42s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

I got to the line 1:30 before the start and said hello to a buddy who was there ready to go. By the time I found out we were running 2mi instead of the usualy 1 mi before and 3 miles after, we were off. I started feeling that oatmeal pretty early on, so I took it a little easy the first mile and the second mile I bumped it up a little.
What would you do differently?:

Eat the oatmeal earlier
Transition 1
  • 00m 31s
Comments:

Thats pretty good I guess. Shoes off, helmet on and off we go! Had a little trouble velcrowing the shoes, but I alway do.
Bike
  • 26m 30s
  • 10 miles
  • 22.64 mile/hr
Comments:

This wasn't a very good bike for me. I am going to blame it on the wind comming off the Atlantic, but It might just be I have been slacking off recently. Every once in a while a gust would move me over a foot or two. Either way last year on the same course I averaged about a mile an hour faster, so I thought I would do better than 22.5 even with some wind.

Go faster
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

This took way to long. I passed my rack and then flung the bike back onto it from the wrong direction. Then my sneakers were way to tight from the first run, so I had trouble getting them on.

Loosen up sneakers and not pass my rack.
Run
  • 13m 22s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I got off to an OK start on the run and was just going along, but with about a half mile left a guy passed me with a "27" on his leg and that was the only person after the bike in my age group who passed me. So I figured I better do all I can to stay with this guy. So I picked it up a bit and just stayed right behind him. He was going faster than comfortable for me, but I wasn't out of breath. After a little while he said to me "I kinda thought you would have dropped off back there". And I said to him, "I saw the 27 on your leg and couldn't let you get away". So we started talking and he introduced himself as we kept an uncomfortable pace. He said I think we are going to be 1,2 for our age group, and then we were approaching the line. So I said, "nice to have met you" and I sprinted to the line. We did finish 1 and 2, I got 1st by just 2 seconds. That was one of the most enjoyable finishes I have had and it was nice meeting someone elese while really pushing it.

Had a better bike so it didn't come down to a sprint.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate food and talked with everybody.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I have been really busy in clinic and work, and I haven't had as much time to train.

Event comments:

I had a good time, despite no swim. The awards this year were really cool and its great to have all the support of friends. The only thing I would have changed is that "Accelerate" drink was gross. Water or gatorade or somthing without those flaky things would have been much better.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-02-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:12:42 | 02 miles | 06m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 0/193
Performance: Good
Course: This was a 2mi circle to be done twice starting out on Granada.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:31
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
00:26:30 | 10 miles | 22.64 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/7
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: North on Anderson and back A1A
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:13:22 | 02 miles | 06m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/7
Performance: Good
Course: Same 2mi loop ran the first time out.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-28 1:07 PM

User image

Regular
Long Island
Subject: Y-Tri

2007-06-23 8:51 PM
in reply to: #819352

User image

Expert
searching for the elusive runner's high!
Subject: RE: Y-Tri
Great finishing time - would have loved to see the finish! I missed the race due to travel but hope to be there again next year. GREAT JOB...CONGRATULATIONS!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Y-Tri Rss Feed