General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon des Iles New Balance, Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Triathlon des Iles New Balance, Sprint - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Montreal, Quebec
Canada
Festival Plein Air
24C / 75F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 58s
Overall Rank = 213/259
Age Group = Female, 40-49
Age Group Rank = 12/14
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30, showered and had breakfast (1 muesli breakfast pita, 1 tbsp peanut butter, 1 small banana, 1 cup coffee). I then double checked my gear, put the bike in the car and left at 5:45.

I got to the race site at 6:15, I was the first in line for my race packet pickup and body marking but the area quickly filled up after I left.

I moved to the transition area, clipped my tri shoes in my pedals, racked my bike and layed the rest of my gear accordingly. I then went for a walk throughout the transition area.

I was a little disappointed with the transition area because the racks were not marked by age group; it was first come, first served. I think the length of the transition area was about 400 yards with the racks lined up on each side of the lane, half of it was on asphalt and the other on dirt. I chose to be on the asphalted side.

I had one packet of Jelly Belly Sports Beans 30 mins before the race started, greeted my parents in the supporters' area, did a few warm up laps in the pool and stretched a little.
Event warmup:

8x50m in the pool with light stretches.
Swim
  • 15m 30s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was surprisingly calm and focused before the swim start and throughout the whole segment.

I was in the 2nd wave, there were 8 lanes with 8 participants in each, caps were colored and each participant left at a 5 sec interval. My cap was white meaning that I had to start first.

I wanted to have a strong and steady swim, saving harder effort in case I had to pass other swimmers in my lane; I ended up passing two of them. I was the first out of the pool in my wave.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, my swim was better than I expected!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Transition times did not count in this race. However, I feel I did pretty well except for the fact that I struggled a little getting on the bike and inserting my foot in my left shoe.

I would have pedaled more to have a good coasting speed in order to put my shoes on without struggling too much. I will put elastics on the next race to keep the shoes horizontal.
Bike
  • 37m 20s
  • 20 kms
  • 32.14 km/hr
Comments:

There were some little debris on the track after the Senna turn and the track was shared with other cyclists and rollerbladers (a big no no in a race like this in my opinion).

Had a bottle of HEED throughout the bike segment and another packet of Sport Beans at the beginning of the last lap.

I could definitely have been a little more aggressive on the corners/turns and could have used higher gears when pedaling with a 95 - 100 cadence. I could have also gotten out of the "ease into the bike" mode a lot sooner.

Being too cautious made me take a more conservative approach as far as the bike portion goes.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

It was a lot easier to get the feet out of the shoes and jump off the bike! Overall a pretty good T2, speed laces were VERY useful. Good thing I grabbed my belt with my bottle of water, there was only Gatorade available at the drink station.

Nothing.
Run
  • 30m 9s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 02s  min/km
Comments:

I did not expect the run to be done on trails; I never did trail running before therefore I was being very careful of where my two feet were landing. There were also short but sharp hills, something I did not train for at all but I am overall pleased with my run time.

Spend more running training time doing strides/sprint drills and hill repeats.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk on the island with my mom... she's a fast walker!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of preparation for trail running, not enough hill repeats and sprints/strides during training, and being too conservative on the bike.

Event comments:

My post race activity was a picnic with my mom and dad on the island after the race chatting about training and how the race went.

If I would have known that the transition times did not count, I would have taken my sweet time. On the other hand, rushing in and out served its purpose, it was a great opportunity to practice.

Negatives:

1) No water at the drink station, only Gatorade; 2) not enough volunteers in the transition area; 3) bike course should not have been shared with other cyclists and rollerbladers; 4) an increased police presence would have been welcomed at the Cosmos Bridge crossing.

Positives:

1) Great location for a race; 2) met with Chipit Muffin, she's an awesome, uplifting and cool tri mom! Salut Isa, ça m'a fait plaisir de t'avoir rencontré et j'espère qu'on se reprendra plus tard!

I will be back in Montreal September 15 to race the Esprit Olympic Triathlon.

Last updated: 2006-11-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:30 | 750 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/14
Overall: 139/259
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri suit
Course: 15x50 meters laps in heated pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 22C / 72F Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:37:20 | 20 kms | 32.14 km/hr
Age Group: 12/14
Overall: 219/259
Performance: Good
Average HR: 162 bpm Maximum HR: 171 bpm
Wind: Little
Course: 4 laps on the Gilles Villeneuve Formula 1 race track, flat with a few turns.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:09 | 05 kms | 06m 02s  min/km
Age Group: 13/14
Overall: 233/259
Performance: Below average
Average HR: 164 bpm Maximum HR: 176 bpm
Course: Sainte-Helene Island trails network, 2 x 2.5 km loops with a 1.2 km total climb.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-28 5:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond Hill, Ontario
Subject: Triathlon des Iles New Balance, Sprint

2007-05-28 9:11 PM
in reply to: #819532

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Subject: RE: Triathlon des Iles New Balance, Sprint

Great job Nats! Your times were great- a reflection of the training you do!

Glad you had a great race and a fun weekend!

2007-05-29 3:56 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Awesome race!!! You did a great job!! Congrats!
2007-05-29 5:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
quebec's belly button

You did an awsome race!

LaughingKinda gets you in a nice mood and pace for the rest of the season.

Sachant que tu reviendras en septembre, je vais prendre des arrangements (location d'un wet ou au minimum m'entraîner à crier fort des encouragements pour que tu rentre ça en moins de temps que samedi passé!

You are a great triathlete (brag card in the mail for you to flaunt it!)

2007-05-29 10:28 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

Great job on the race, sounds like you handled it the way you wanted to.

2007-05-30 7:15 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario
Good job, and nice speed on the bike !!  Sounds like an interesting course.

2007-06-13 4:10 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Bien Jouer Nathalie , C'est un beau circuit , dommage pour les touristes sur le circuit F1 .

J'ai fait qu'un triathlon avec nage en piscine , et ce fut interessant de voir la pluspart des gens ralentir apres 200m.
On ne voit pas ca en ocean puisque on ne repasses pas les gens a chaque longeur de piscine.

Well Done , Its great to have the feedback of a race for your training . Good luck with the next one .
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon des Iles New Balance, Sprint Rss Feed