General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Greetings from the Mile High City Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-15 1:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: Greetings from the Mile High City
I guess I've lurked long enough and it's time to say hello. I've decided to give triathlons a try after many years of saying "someday I will." I have competed in all three disciplines at different points in my life. I swam as a little kid and through most of high school, I ran cross country and track in middle school and high school, and I raced bikes collegiately. I still race and ride my bike, do centuries, some criteriums, time trials, Ride the Rockies, Triple By-Pass, and other long, organized rides here in Colorado.

I got a bit burned out on the bike this year, so I thought that triathlon might help vary my training and keep things interesting. But putting all three sports together is something entirely different, and frankly, scares me! I've started swimming and running again this past month. I got Gale Bernhardt's "Swim Workouts in a Binder" and haven't had any trouble doing her 2500-3000m workouts in the pool. My biggest weakness is running. I can run forever at about a 10:30 pace, but really need to work on speed. My old motto used to be "I don't run unless someone is chasing me with a sharp instrument." So, somehow I have to turn myself into a runner over the winter. That will be my primary focus. Oh joy. My goal is to participate in several sprint triathlons in the early part of next summer, then an olympic distance in August.

Reading the BT forums has helped me realize that I don't have to quit my job to train for triathlons, and I can easily fit tri training into the hours that I already use for my cycling. Thanks!

2004-09-15 4:06 PM
in reply to: #61995

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: RE: Greetings from the Mile High City
welcome! you already have an excellent base to start from. many of us here (including me), are happy getting close to 10 min miles.
2004-09-15 5:18 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member
welcome...envious of your cycling base...something that i just cant seem to find time to work on...can you bestow some upon me?
2004-09-15 7:16 PM

User image

Regular
Mississippi
welcome to the forum. hopefully you can shed some light at least on the biking part sense you are very experienced.

can i ask you what you thought about the sim workouts in a binder was? my worst part is swimming if you call it that. haha
2004-09-15 10:23 PM

Veteran
Washington
Good luck with your training. What are your goals when it comes to running?? I'm at a 10 min mile and quite happy with that, given that I have previously HATED running. Are your goals just to complete tri's or do you want to place??
2004-09-16 10:30 AM
in reply to: #62234

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
In response to Live2Tri's question about the "Swim Workouts in a Binder" book . . . I really like it. First of all, the book is waterproof, so you can take it with you to the side of the pool (or drop it in the pool) and it won't get ruined. The book is definitely not about swim technique or coaching. It's purely a set of workouts for things like endurance, form, speed, etc. It tells you what to do for a warmup, the main workout sets, and the cool down, the speed at which to do the workouts, how much of a rest interval between sets, drills, etc. The nice thing is that you always know what you're going to do in the pool and aren't just swimming laps aimlessly. I got it on Amazon.com, and you can view an excerpt from the book to see the format of the workouts if you're interested.

And in response to Sherolyn's question about my goals for tri - my first season will probably just be about learning and training my body to get used to the new stresses. I don't want to do too much or set too high of goals and end up injured (that happened to a friend of mine). Of course, I have a very competitive spirit, so I'm sure I'll go out in every race to do the best I possibly. But for my first season, I just want to focus on learning, finishing, and having FUN!

Stacie

2004-09-16 4:15 PM

Veteran
Colorado
Hi Stacie! Sounds like triathlons are a *great* fit for you with your background...Welcome to the site. I am sure you will find all kinds of info and support here. There are many wonderful CO races (I live in N CO). Are you think of any races in particular?
Happy training!
2004-09-16 6:09 PM

User image

Okinawa, Japan
Welcome, I am envious. I just moved for Aurora, CO and I sure do miss it. There are so many great bike trails to ride on or run and stay safe. CO is a Triathletes friend.
2004-09-16 6:17 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO

Greetings back to you!  What part of Denver to you live in?  There are a number of us here, and if you'd be willing to share some riding tips, I'd be glad to help you with your running.

Joe

2004-09-16 6:23 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-09-16 6:58 PM

Master
Frisco, Texas

Welcome.  Sounds like you should have a great base to work from.  I too would like to hear any riding tips; especially for the hills. 

That is a great picture of you on the bike!

TJ

2004-09-17 12:23 AM

Central Louisiana
Welcome to the T-Spot!  Great to have you here!
2004-09-17 9:18 AM
in reply to: #62712

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Well, I definitely want to do the Boulder Peak triathlon because I've heard good things about it. Not sure yet about the sprint tris. Possibly the Race the Rockies series and the Rattlesnake series. Does anyone have any good suggestions for other triathlons here in CO or ones to avoid? What's a good one for my very first race?

One comment about Colorado athletes - people here are INSANE. I've never seen so many people in such great shape. Quite intimidating! And Boulder athletes are in a league of their own. Don't know what it is about that town. Must be something in the water.

By the way, I live in Highlands Ranch (can we say extreme suburbia?).
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Greetings from the Mile High City Rss Feed