United States
Pelican Fest LLC
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 04m 55s
Overall Rank = 75/288
Age Group = M3034
Age Group Rank = 7/19
Pre-race routine:

woke 5:00am (actually, wife woke me up late at 5:15). breakfast (espresso, two eggs and cheese on english muffin, water). snuck out before the dog got off the couch so I wouldn't have to take him out, threw the bike on the car, loaded jamiroquai in cd player, rolled.

Got to course close to 6:30. Registered. Didn't have an updated USAT card so I got to pay for insurance twice!! Anyone else have this problem before? Anyone else really pissed about it?

Got gear and went to transition. Found spot on the aisle about half-way. Not bad. Very congested lay-out though.
Event warmup:

Ran about 10-12 minutes with 4 30" pickups to race pace. HR seemed high but felt pretty good and fresh.
Biked about 10min. Was able to do just a few pickups.
Grabbed wetsuit, went to pond, took a bit to get into my suit. First time swimming in this (what else are C races for?). Felt tight on the arms and wondered if it would be a problem (wasn't). Did a few 100 yd's out and back.
Swim
  • 11m 49s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 21s / 100 yards
Comments:

really good swim. felt like I was pretty far outside at times and spent a lot of time wondering where I was (didn't know how long the last few legs were, therefore didn't know when the finish was coming). struggled a bit on the long leg and there were few people to sight off of and had trouble spotting the bouy bc of the sun.
What would you do differently?:

know the course better. take more of an aggressive line. in the race, the waves stretched out pretty well, didn't have issues at all with bunching.
Transition 1
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

not a terrible transition, but certainly room for improvement.
wetsuit came off OK, but had to stomp on each side a couple times.
as I was putting my shoes on I bumped my bike enough that my helmet fell of the aerobars, and my sunglasses (that were resting inside the helmet) hit the ground - a lens fell out. took a few seconds to reconcile that.
so because of that started moving too soon trying to save time, didn't get my helmet buckled, ran out of transition without the helmet buckled and stopped just off the mat to the side to buckle before I mounted, needed both hands for just a second and thought I had the bike resting nicely on my hip. well, it fell over. Amatuer!! I finally got going. Much, much better next time!

need to stage shoes on bike
better job with equipment (helmet, glasses)
Bike
  • 29m 46s
  • 10 miles
  • 20.16 mile/hr
Comments:

plan was to keep this 5bpm below lt (lt being 170). was running higher but it didn't feel that way. hopefully this will get resolved this week at next bike tt. probably could have hit it a bit harder but it would have impacted my run for sure - which was difficult enough.

probably nothing. just need to get faster on the bike
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

another challenging transition. put speed laces on the pumas the night before. didn't got on as smoothly as the night before because my bare feet were still wet. this took some effort. had unclipped both shoes before I came to a stop and nearly bought it at the dismount. ....just wasn't thinking

run barefoot and keep shoes clipped to bike. not use speed ties with the pumas
Run
  • 20m 1s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

the hills in the first mile make it difficult to get into a zone. the downhills are challenging too. I was running on the grass when I could to minimize impact.
Did a good job after the hills picking up the pace, but never did get to z5, even in my final kick. was spending a lot of time trying to figure out when to pick up the pace and to what. a lot of turns.

get into z5
know the course and have a detailed run plan
Post race
Warm down:

jog back to transition

What limited your ability to perform faster:

not knowing the course well enough, just not picking up the pace on the run and trusting that I'd be able to sustain it.

Event comments:

challenging course but good first race of the season

Last updated: 2007-05-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:49 | 875 yards | 01m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 70/288
Performance: Good
Suit: nineteen
Course: r/h turns. trapazoidish.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:41
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:29:46 | 10 miles | 20.16 mile/hr
Overall: 91/288
Performance: Average
garmin says this was 9.8mi. 171bpm ave. 185 max. cadene wasn't working
Wind: None
Course: out and back. nasty hill starting .3mi out of t1. pretty flat after that. garmin says the hill was 200ft+ over .7mi.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:20:01 | 03.11 miles | 06m 26s  min/mile
Overall: 63/288
Performance: Below average
172bpm ave, 184bpm max
Course: first hill 100ft over .1mi, second hill ~150ft over .2mi garmin says this was 2.8mi
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-28 11:35 PM

User image

Westminster, CO
Subject: Pelican Fest Triathlon

2007-05-29 10:03 AM
in reply to: #819799

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: Pelican Fest Triathlon
Great job for all the challenges you faced.  As you said, "C" race, good time to try new things and learn.  23 Weeks to go Cool .   Nice kick off to what will be a great season.
2007-05-29 10:07 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
Sounds like things could've gone a little bit better (USAT insurance, T1, etc.) but it doesn't sound like you're overly concerned either. At the end of the day, it looks like a good day of getting back into the swing of things to start race season.
2007-05-29 1:55 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Great race Jason!  Great to finally meet you!  Best of luck in the IM training.
2007-05-29 5:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Aurora, CO
Wow, I just realized that you were right on my butt during the race. Transistions will become second nature pretty quickly although you can't tell by my performance. Nice work out there and it was great to meet you.
2007-05-29 10:49 PM

User image

A very cool place in Colorado :)

Hey, I was standing in line to pick up my packet with a guy who had an expired USAT card. Are you about 5'8 or 9 with really blonde hair and just got back from racing in Hawaii? Anyway...

Sounds like you had a couple funnies coming out of T1 - good thing this was a C race or else you might've been really pissed! Still, it's all about the experience. Smokin' times out there, especially on that run!

2007-05-31 7:48 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Jason,

Great work! Looking forward to the next one

Shane
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pelican Fest Triathlon Rss Feed