General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Seriously? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-05-29 6:28 PM

User image

Regular
Boise ID
Subject: Seriously?
The following is a quote from a recent thread, "every triathlete usually has one discipline that they donĀ“t like too much."

I find that hard to believe. Why would one waste their time, voluntarily, doing something they don't like? That makes no sense to me. Isn't the point of a hobby to do something you enjoy in your spare time?

I am litterally still shaking my head about this one. I know it is usually discussed by people who have problems in the swim and people give the advice - become a duathlete - which I totally agree with.

My question is this - how many people are actually competing in triathlons that do not like one of the disciplines? I would hope the percentage is very low. And to those people I ask with all sincerity - WHY? Why not find something else that you actually enjoy?

If, however, you are one of the hopefully vast majority that enjoy all three (which is why we become triathletes) please stand up and be counted.

2007-05-29 6:34 PM
in reply to: #821334

User image

Subject: RE: Seriously?

I enjoy all three. 

I think it's more accurate to say that most triathletes have one discipline that is more difficult.  I can understand how someone who isn't that good at running may not enjoy it all the time (ummm.  me?)  If running (or swimming, whatever) is painful or difficult, it isn't a leap to not enjoying it. 

But I think that triathletes, as a whole, are driven people, and they strive to overcome the difficulties to a point where they might even find that they enjoy the discipline.

I hated running when I started becuase I sucked so badly at it.  Plus, I suffered through shin splints.  Easy not to like.  But I stuck with it.  why?  I wanted to do a triathlon.  I wanted to enjoy running.  I still suck at running, just not as badly, and more often than not I really love a good run.  

2007-05-29 6:55 PM

User image

Master
New York
I agree with Chris. Running tends to be my limiter, and if you were to catch me on a particularly bad day I'm not sure I'd say I necessarily "enjoy" it. But I like that it's tough for me, and that I have to push myself to get better.

If triathlon were easy, I don't know that too many of us would do it.
2007-05-29 7:13 PM

User image

Veteran

The only one I truly love is bike riding.  I love swimming for fun, but attempting to learn to freestyle properly has been frustrating to the point where I want to cry sometimes.  Scratch that- I have cried.  Running, I can take or leave.  I kinda like it when I'm doing good and not cramping, but when I get a cramp I sorta hate it (at least momentarily).

As for the why- I like the challenge.  I want to prove to myself that I can do this, and eventually do it well.  I like to be fit and active, and this is something I got my husband to do with me, so we can be fit and active together.  I hope one day (hopefully soon) to be strong enough and comfortable enough with the running and swimming to be able to say I love them as much as I do the biking.

2007-05-29 7:30 PM

User image

Expert
Dallas, TX
Yeah, that strikes me as odd too, and is why I said something to that poster. I have no idea why you would want to do something you don't like for a hobby. Unless you just like bragging about how you're a triathlete. More and more it seems like triathlon and marathon are just another thing to cross off someone's to do list. It's like they don't care if they crawl through the whole thing, as long as they finish, they get the feather in their cap.
2007-05-29 7:36 PM

Extreme Veteran
Austin Texas
The other day, I was running with a rock in my shoe. It was bothering me. I was not enjoying the run that much, but I was on pace for a new PR. Once I ended my run, and removed the rock and ran another mile, and enjoyed it.

I think that comment is really silly.

2007-05-29 7:42 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
I love cycling and swimming, but I've never taken to running as an adult for any period of time because my knees and running don't get along very well.  Maybe I'd like running if it didn't hurt my knees.  I ran cross country for a couple years as a kid and enjoyed it, but my knees didn't hurt back then.  Right now I'm nursing a very sore knee, trying to survive one or two more short training runs so that I can finally do a triathlon and see how the event goes.  I can cycle and swim all I want without feeling a thing in my knees, unless maybe I tackle a steep 5k+ foot climb without adequate preparation.  If I like the triathlon, then I plan to lay off the running for a while, and try back later with an extremely gradual buildup (like working my way to 5 miles on a run over the course of a year).  If that doesn't work, then yes, I'll start looking for aquabike events.
2007-05-29 8:03 PM

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX
I enjoy being a triathlete because most people say, "I could never do that." I enjoy getting in better physical shape. I enjoy racing. I enjoy not getting bored with one sport. I enjoy the people I've met doing triathlons. I enjoy getting faster at sports I don't do particularly well (um, all of them). I, however, do not enjoy running just for the sake of running. It's part of the sport, so I do it and like the improvements from it. But the days are rare when I look forward to it, though I'm usually glad once I am running.

So to me, it's perfectly logical to not enjoy an aspect of the sport, yet still enjoy the sport.

FWIW
Greg
2007-05-29 8:07 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
I do hate one of the "tri" sports. The thing is, it's a different one at any point in time.

I used to have a motto: "I run only when chased." Now I think running is the sport I consistently look forward to most (mostly because it's the easiest sport time-wise.)

I used to dread the boredom of swimming. Now it's the sport I perform best in, according to AG rankings (I still can't believe that!). So now, I actually take pride in it (even though I still kind of dread it.)

And biking? I have a love/hate affair with it. I probably intrinsically enjoy it the most, but I hate that it sucks up so much time and I seem to have plateaued a bit in my improvement. So currently it may be my least favorite.

So basically, I hate and love them all equally. Just depends when you ask me.
2007-05-29 8:18 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

Some times I love all of the sports, other times I struggle with one, two or all. I don't dislike any given sport, but each present certain challenges to me and depending on my strength, coordination, fitness, and mood on a given day can alter my experience.

What I love about any sport and even those outside of triathlon, is that free as a bird feeling, that giddy kid feeling I get when I'm soaring along without a worry about my form, speed or time. The trick is to channel that feeling into races after lots of training.

2007-05-29 8:50 PM

User image

Champion
Butler
I would not say that I "hate" any of the sports.  They all have their moments either way.  With swimming, it is what scares me the most because I was never a fish but I enjoy it because I have learned to do it fairly well (at least in my mind).  With cycling, I really don't enjoy riding on roads as I am not the best bike handler, plus cars etc but I feel for the cheap bike I have I am fairly good at it and I like the speed.  I was a runner first, but it hurts, but is easiest to do time wise.  I can run out my front door.

2007-05-29 8:51 PM

Extreme Veteran
I love to swim, I love to bike.

Run is a four letter word.

Maybe thats why I am still fat and Lazy.

Now I have done 1 tri and loved it, Of course the run was more a walk, and all I thought about was the finish line, the bike and swim I thought about how cool and fun this was.

Why tri? cause there are not any aquabike races around me, and running is what will really get me fit.

2007-05-29 8:55 PM

User image

Champion
MA

When I started I didn't like running or swimming.

Now I love cycling really can't get enough of it. I love running but not quite as much as cycling. I like swimming. I just don't like swimming slow like I am. If I didn't race swimming in tris I wouldn't be as frustrated with the swim thing.

I have thought back and wondered why I do tris as I wasn't a swimmer, biker or runner before I started, didn't enjoy my first tri, but kept at it and last year really started enjoying running. I think the way my body feels and the challenge of it kept me at it..now really it is just part of who I am.

I get in a special place while riding and a different special place while running..... 

2007-05-29 9:01 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

I go through phases with this....when I first started many years ago, I came from a running background so naturally I loved running the most and I enjoyed swimming because I was seeing such a large improvement in a short amount of time. Cycling on the other hand was a struggle, I had never ridden except the obligatory bike that every kid has and so it was completely new to me. I struggled at it and was regularly smoked at every race that I did by just about everyone in my AG. Needless to say I was frustrated!

Fast forward to now and I can hang with just about anyone on the bike, my running has suffered as a result so I don't enjoy it quite as much. And now the sport that I don't "love" as much is swimming. That is more of a logistical issue than an actual not enjoying the act. Cycling for 4-5-6hrs at a time can get rather boring also when you are alone.

2007-05-29 9:06 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I actually enjoy all three disciplines.  I'm a mediocre in swimmer and biker and a very slow runner, but I like them all the same. 

I'm a realist, knowing that I'm never going to be competing for any podiums, but I still enjoy the challenge of pushing myself to improve.

Mark   

2007-05-29 9:14 PM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
If I didnt have the goal to do an Ironman and start the journey to get there, I likely would have never bothered to learn how to functionally swim.  I have had many phases with swimming and rarely ever am giddy about a swim.  It is coming around but I wouldnt say I am close to liking it as much as the other two.  Perhaps some day and I will keep plugging away and trying to improve.  So why do it?  Why not?  Just because something takes some work to get accustomed to, its a step at self improvement, learning a skill.  I can definitely tell you I enjoy it more now than two years ago

2007-05-29 9:15 PM

Duubuque, Iowa
I have to agree with RedCorvette as far as I dont see myself in first ( or second or third for that matter) but I enjoy getting back in shape and having fun meeting new friends and getting better while I train.
2007-05-29 9:25 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
When I started, I didn't like running, but I did like cycling and swimming.  I had never been a runner and I wanted to learn and to have the challenge of being a triathlete.  After a couple of years of doing this, I've started to like running (most of the time).  There are days I don't like any one of the disciplines, but I do like them all overall.
2007-05-29 9:29 PM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

I think most of us have at least one discipline that we enjoy having done more than we enjoy actually doing...

Mine would still be swimming.

2007-05-29 9:52 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Well, I'm not too keen on running.

Maybe it's because I suck at it so badly. Sure, I run when I need to, and I put in the miles... but I'm never totally "in love" with getting to run.

I love to bike... enjoy swimming (one day a week)... but running is always a challenge.

2007-05-29 10:00 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

what's so hard to believe? sometimes we do things cuz they are challenging even though at first we don't really enjoy it. When I began Tri-ing I hated swimming, but it was so tough and challenging it appeal to me to try over and over, now I like it. Running more than 20 minutes was so booooring I had a hard time heading out of the door, now I love it. as the training season progresses I go through up and downs will all 3 sports.

So believe it or not, it does happen. We all have different reasons and goals for tri-ing and as long as we are doing it, that's all that should matter no?

Edited by amiine 2007-05-29 10:13 PM

2007-05-29 10:07 PM

User image

Regular
That is strange. I love all three sports. Except for running, of course. I can't stand running.
2007-05-29 10:25 PM
in reply to: #821543

User image

Elite
San Diego

I enjoy all three of the sports, but the bigger question is:

Why do you race if you aren't going to win?
Glad to see you are still around

2007-05-29 10:27 PM

User image

Poconos
I think it is pretty silly thing to say. I've just started training for triathlons 3 weeks ago. Before that, prior to that I've been a fairly consistent runner. When I decided to trade in my car for a bike, I decided to get into the sport since I already grew an appreciation for two of the three. So coming into my training I was well behind on my swimming. I've never done distance swimming before or any real swimming that wasn't just for recreational fun. My first time in the pool was intimidating and the end result was a testament to how week at the sport I am. But I couldn't say I walked away from it "hating" it. I just knew that at this time I'm weak at it and that I would have to put in the time improving upon it. Now with two weeks in the book I've seen big gains in respects to my swims.

I don't know. I just go into each training day with a mindset that it's a process to gain proficientcy in the each sport, and while I may not be the best, I enjoy the feeling my body gives me as I get better at each one.
2007-05-29 11:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis, Minnesota
As someone new to triathlons, and not very experienced in any of the three, I think that I enjoy all three because there are three. I wouldn't be nearly as motivated to train just for a running even, or just for a biking event, etc. I like the fact that I get to mix it up and see myself improve in all three. If I find myself absolutely hating one, I imagine that wouldn't do triathlons. Life's too short to force yourself to do things you hate.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Seriously? Rss Feed  

of 3