General Discussion Race Reports! » Hammonton Recreation Department Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hammonton Recreation Department Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hammonton, New Jersey
United States
Hammonton Recreational Department
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 13s
Overall Rank = 110/226
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 11/19
Pre-race routine:

No real routine, first tri.
Just making sure I don't forget my bike or wetsuit.
Egg sandwich for breakfast, one cup coffee. One cup of water and some cytomax prior to race.
Event warmup:

Quick swim in the lake. The warm-up was my first offical OW swim.
I really had a hard time breathing at first, somewhat of a panic attack.
After a few minutes, I'm feeling better.
Swim
  • 07m 26s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Let me premise this by saying that I enjoyed the experience but overall, I don't like swimming in a lake.
I've was told by an experienced triathlete prior to the race to start out in the back and on the right. I've heard this numerous times so I figure I should head to this advice. I do, at first, but I'm growing impatient. Four strokes and have to stop b/c I'm running into people. So I move over to the inside where all the faster people are, same thing.
Maybe this was my first mistake b/c I started weaving through people so I could go at a reasonable pace and not have to breast stroke b/c I'm running into people. About 125 yards into it I'm ready to turn around. Somehow 400 yards seemed short until I'm actually in the lake swimming.
It kinda sucked but oddly, I've loving the experience.
As we are approaching the turn around buoy, I'm looking up out of the water to sight and I see what looks like racers walking on water. I ignore it, I'm sure there is a good explanation. As I get closer, the water at the turn around bouy is like 3 feet. Not only that but there are foreign objects in the water. I have no idea what it was, felt like steel rebar. Not your average lake bottom and frankly I'm surprised they have a swim in there with that stuff. It was kinda a good thing though b/c I could walk fastly through the water, catch, my breathe a bit and didn't have to swim around the bouy. So after the turnaround, its thinning out a bit and I get into a good a rhythm under the circumstances. I was relieved to reach the shore. I really enjoyed coming out of the water and hearing my wife yelling for me. I've always envied the racers in the tri pics coming out of the water running, taking their wetsuits off, and now I was finally one of them. Totally cool.

What would you do differently?:

More OW practice swims...
Transition 1
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

OK transition for my first time, would like to decrease the time.
Took my time somewhat getting over to the bike b/c I was a bit winded frm the swim.

Get faster...
Bike
  • 38m 19s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.79 mile/hr
Comments:

I was so looking forward to the bike. I really enjoyed it and thought everything went to plan for the most part. My mph was lower than what I was expecting but I guess my slow start and decrease speed due to uphills factored more than I thought. I passed few people so that should have been an indicator that I wasn't putting out Lance type speed.

Train harder so I'm faster.
Transition 2
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

I was toasted after the bike.

More Bricks with high intensity biking prior to....
Run
  • 30m 12s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was torture. I totally suck and knew as soon as I got off the bike I was in trouble. It took all I had to not walk. I though for sure my pace would be more like 11mpm but I was somewhat happy at the 10 minute pace. I passed no one. Seriously, not one person. I should have expected this b/c I really am not a good runner. My English isn't that great either.

Lose weight and run more.
Post race
Warm down:

walking around with the wife.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my 30 extra pounds...

Event comments:

Overall, the race was great even after that disaster of a run. I got my frist tri under my belt and didn't get injured. I'm really looking forward to the next one with the hopes that I'll be better prepared for the run.
My only complaint besides the foreign objects at the turnaround bouy of the swim was the guy collecting the tags of the the racers bibs.
Long story short, he was a tool. Much more than a tool but I'm trying to be nice...

Last updated: 2007-03-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:26 | 400 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 45/226
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless suit
Course: Lake, 200 yards out and then back.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:45
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:19 | 12 miles | 18.79 mile/hr
Overall: 87/226
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Relatively flat, some rolling hills. Tail wind out and head wind back. Going out felt longer than coming back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:17
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:12 | 03 miles | 10m 04s  min/mile
Overall: 161/226
Performance: Bad
Course: Relatively flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-05-30 8:48 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Hammonton Recreation Department Sprint Triathlon

2007-05-31 7:35 PM
in reply to: #823321

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami, FL
Subject: RE: Hammonton Recreation Department Sprint Triathlon
Congrats on a great race!  You got one done and you are now a triathlete.  So what if the run wasn't your best.  You are a triathlete.  Ain't nobody taking that away from you.  I'm finally... after being on BT forever... doing my first sprint on June24th.  I can't wait... reading your RR is really psyching me for it.  Thanks and again... awesome race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hammonton Recreation Department Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed