United States
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5am and was thrilled to go about my normal daily routine on race morning. Dang I love hometown races. Hopped on to the bus to the start at about 6am and after getting to the race site proceeded to sit around for 45 minutes during which I realized I had forgotten my watch (not that it mattered much since it was a training run).
Event warmup:

No warm-up needed since this was just a training run.
Run
  • 00m
  • 20 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

My longest run of the year before this day was 10 miles (of which I've probably done 5 or 6 times). I knew there was a possibility that I may have to hang it up before 20 miles if my body simply told me to. My best guess is that I ran a little over 8 minutes miles and felt comfy until about mile 16 where I walked for a couple minute and felt awful. I was only about a mile from my vehicle at that point and actually turned around and started walking back. After about 10 steps I turned back around and continued on again (I'm extremely stubborn about things like this). I felt better after a few minutes and started running again. A girl that I passed at about mile 10 caught up to me at this point and we talked for a couple of miles and that really helped me out. I needed something else on my mind other than how my legs felt.
What would you do differently?:

I'd probably run slower the first half by 10-15 seconds per mile. I really didn't plan on putting myself through this much pain, but looking back now knowing I wasn't sore at all 2 days later I don't know if I would change it much. It was good for me mentally even more than physically.
Post race
Warm down:

My warm down for any race simply involves stretching and eating. I'm better at the later.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of long runs.

Event comments:

Even though I don't like the new course as well, this event is well run and I hope when the local YMCA takes it over starting next year they do as good of a job with it.

Last updated: 2007-05-31 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 20 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: New course this year and I have to say that it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The old course was on the city trails which I loved. The new course starts out on country roads until the 13 mile point. It was nice to have more space, but I still miss the old course.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-31 11:52 AM

Subject: MedCity 20 Miler

2007-05-31 12:14 PM
in reply to: #824191

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: MedCity 20 Miler
Way to turn around the finish! I am sure you felt badly only because you knew the car was there.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MedCity 20 Miler Rss Feed