General Discussion Triathlon Talk » List your Tips/Tricks it took you a while to figure out... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-06-01 2:40 PM
in reply to: #826068

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: List your Tips/Tricks it took you a while to figure out...
Chippy - 2007-06-01 3:27 PM

Keep gu's in your sports bra. Easy to get to, don't move around too much, and eliminates the need for pockets on longer runs. And, if you're me, actually gives your sports bra something to do!

:sleezeball voice: Can I grab one of your Gu's Chippy? :sleezeball voice: Innocent

2007-06-01 3:05 PM
in reply to: #825847

User image

Master
Seattle, California

Hudnick - 2007-06-01 10:58 AM You cant win a race during the swim, but you can lose one.

I think that Norman Stadler would disagree with you here.  We all know that he dominated the bike (and was expected to), but while everyone had slower then normal swim times Norman was much faster then usual.  He definitely won it on the swim last year. 

2007-06-01 3:16 PM
in reply to: #826151

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Global - 2007-06-01 4:05 PM

but while everyone had slower then normal swim times

So then ..... by your logic everyone didn't lose the race on the swim then???

And the reality is that Stadler set the fastest bike split in Hawaii ...... ever ....... and then was able to have a slightly better run than he usually does.  The swim is important in that if you make mistakes or are under-trained for it, you WILL ruin the rest of your race in it.

2007-06-01 3:40 PM
in reply to: #826033

Memphis
JohnnyKay - 2007-06-01 3:03 PM
Monker - 2007-06-01 1:36 PM

Z-dog - 2007-06-01 12:56 PM My running coach taught us proper hill form last week, two days before I raced and got to put it into practice. Uphill, is a short,steady cadence, and downhill is a posture where you are slightly bent forward at the wast, with chest and shoulders spread open. Arms hang wide open to the sides. Let gravity take you. This form is amazing! In my sprint, I slowly ran up two steep hills, passing scores of walkers, then let myself "fall" down the steep descent and again passed scores of people who were braking on the way down. I thanked my TNT coach heartily yesterday at our track workout, as the training could not have been more to the point.

I'd say be careful with this approach. It's fine for short downhills and short duration races, such as a 5K and even a 10K if you're a runner with several years experience. But if you try this on a long downhill on a long distance course (especially one with lots of hills), you'll shred your quads and wish you hadn't "fallen" down the hill. I've seen this happen in many marathons - especially Boston.

What do you suggest? Hit the brakes down the hill to control your speed? That's a surefire way to "shred" your quads.

I don't think "bent forward at the waist" is accurate in the description above, but letting gravity take you down the hill and maintaining a quick turnover should help save your quads by reducing impact, right?

Certainly don't mean to hit the breaks.  My original interpretation of "falling" indicates that you're taking the downhill a little too fast.  And as you point out, the "bent forward at the waist" didn't sound right.   

2007-06-01 3:40 PM
in reply to: #826068

User image

Elite
the desert
Chippy - 2007-06-01 12:27 PM

Keep gu's in your sports bra. Easy to get to, don't move around too much, and eliminates the need for pockets on longer runs. And, if you're me, actually gives your sports bra something to do!

Maybe I should start wearing one of those things.....

2007-06-01 4:09 PM
in reply to: #824939

Veteran
San Jose, CA

Ditto Max about the high-fives! I had so much encouragement from people going the opposite way my first race where I finished DFL. I always pay it forward now!

And as for the sports bra - I can keep all kinds of things in there even though I fill it up. You just kinda squish 'em out of the way. Actually it's usually where my MP3 player hangs out since I broke my armband. But keeping the GU in there is a great idea - I hadn't thought where I was gonna stash it.

Okay I suppose I have to give my own tip now - relax to start the swim. Don't blow it all in your starting gun excitement. 

2007-06-01 5:02 PM
in reply to: #826033

User image

Extreme Veteran
MN
JohnnyKay - 2007-06-01 2:03 PM

Z-dog - 2007-06-01 12:56 PM My running coach taught us proper hill form last week, two days before I raced and got to put it into practice. Uphill, is a short,steady cadence, and downhill is a posture where you are slightly bent forward at the wast, with chest and shoulders spread open. Arms hang wide open to the sides. Let gravity take you. This form is amazing! In my sprint, I slowly ran up two steep hills, passing scores of walkers, then let myself "fall" down the steep descent and again passed scores of people who were braking on the way down. I thanked my TNT coach heartily yesterday at our track workout, as the training could not have been more to the point.

I'd say be careful with this approach.  It's fine for short downhills and short duration races, such as a 5K and even a 10K if you're a runner with several years experience.  But if you try this on a long downhill on a long distance course (especially one with lots of hills), you'll shred your quads and wish you hadn't "fallen" down the hill.  I've seen this happen in many marathons - especially Boston.

What do you suggest?  Hit the brakes down the hill to control your speed?  That's a surefire way to "shred" your quads. 

I don't think "bent forward at the waist" is accurate in the description above, but letting gravity take you down the hill and maintaining a quick turnover should help save your quads by reducing impact, right?

I didn't describe what I do very well.  I actually change the angle of my stride.  Normally when you run you jump in a slight arc mostly straight forward.  When going down a hill if you do that the hill makes the "down" part much more, which makes for a kind of a crash.  For me it was hurting my knees every time i was going down hill.  So I read up on a way to run parallel with the down hill and not an out and down.  What I do is keep my feet very close to the ground and turn up my cadence.  I'm not describing it very well but it really works for me.  I pass a lot of people going down hill (ones that I was even with running) and get to the bottom refreshed.  I guess I sort of put my hips out in front moreso than leaning back.  This is hard to explain.  I just know it is working.

2007-06-01 6:35 PM

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Another one:

If you are a beginning runner, using an HR monitor, and trying to guess about your zones, chances are you are UNDER training. At least I was. Do a zone test. It sounds painful, and it is kind of but you will have many more high quality sessions than in the past.

In my case, what I thought was high Z2 or low Z3 turned out to be mid-Z1. That is a big deal
2007-06-01 10:22 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

Yeah, I forgot about that tip. 

When you start your swim, start SLOW.  I have read too MANY race reports talking about having a horrible swim.  They all go something like this.  "Swam 100-200 yards doing great then I couldn't breath.  I tried the breast stroke, side stroke, back stroke, doggie paddle, it didn't matter I could not catch my breath.  So I was in full panic mode, yeah I finished the swim but I don't know how."

In nearly every case, it was race excitement, pumped with adrenaline, and starting way too fast.  Back off, take it easy, once you have your stroke and are feeling good THEN you can take off.

2007-06-02 3:58 AM
in reply to: #826308

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
bikingbruise - 2007-06-01 3:02 PM

JohnnyKay - 2007-06-01 2:03 PM

I'd say be careful with this approach. It's fine for short downhills and short duration races, such as a 5K and even a 10K if you're a runner with several years experience. But if you try this on a long downhill on a long distance course (especially one with lots of hills), you'll shred your quads and wish you hadn't "fallen" down the hill. I've seen this happen in many marathons - especially Boston.

What do you suggest? Hit the brakes down the hill to control your speed? That's a surefire way to "shred" your quads.

I don't think "bent forward at the waist" is accurate in the description above, but letting gravity take you down the hill and maintaining a quick turnover should help save your quads by reducing impact, right?

I didn't describe what I do very well. I actually change the angle of my stride. Normally when you run you jump in a slight arc mostly straight forward. When going down a hill if you do that the hill makes the "down" part much more, which makes for a kind of a crash. For me it was hurting my knees every time i was going down hill. So I read up on a way to run parallel with the down hill and not an out and down. What I do is keep my feet very close to the ground and turn up my cadence. I'm not describing it very well but it really works for me. I pass a lot of people going down hill (ones that I was even with running) and get to the bottom refreshed. I guess I sort of put my hips out in front moreso than leaning back. This is hard to explain. I just know it is working.

That's it. I'm settling this ridiculousness. Bikingbruise, I don't understand what the heck you're talking about, but you can run any way you want to. As far as leaning goes, yes, leaning forward will make you descend faster. It's just a fact. Go get a physics book. But, also, it will be harder on your legs and harder to control. You just have to decide what's more important to you. If you have a tendency bust your IT bands every year, you might want to take it easy on downhills. If you're trying to PR and you're confident in your stride, lean all you want.
2007-06-02 4:02 AM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Oh yeah. Here's my trick:

On the bike, I eat Clif Blocks in the winter, and GU gels in the summer. That way the solid food stays solid, and the fluid food stays fluid, making it all easier to eat while riding.

2007-06-02 7:44 AM
in reply to: #826481

User image

Master
La Crosse
wsm9363 - 2007-06-01 11:22 PM

When you start your swim, start SLOW.  I have read too MANY race reports talking about having a horrible swim.  They all go something like this.  "Swam 100-200 yards doing great then I couldn't breath.  I tried the breast stroke, side stroke, back stroke, doggie paddle, it didn't matter I could not catch my breath.  So I was in full panic mode, yeah I finished the swim but I don't know how."

I see that you've read my race reports.
2007-06-02 8:02 AM

User image

Elite
West Chicago, IL
When setting up transition, open whatever nutrition you're leaving there ... GU's, Clif Shot Bloks, Sportbeans, etc. are OH SO easy to open during training and IMPOSSIBLE to open during transition.

Also ... x2 on taking extras of items like goggles and sun glasses.

And sunscreen ... never underestimate the value of sunscreen.
2007-06-02 8:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX

Something I've found that's worked really well for me is starting the run with a much faster and shorter stride than I would casually run with - almost a glorified shuffle.  It seems to take less muscle effort, allowing my legs to recover from the bike.  Then when they are recovered, you magically get power behind a quick stride, and bingo.  I figured it out based on something my swim coach always used to say - it's a lot harder to speed up your turnover when you're tired and have already settled into a slow pace, but if you maintain a quick turnover from the beginning, power will just be icing on the cake.

Also, my favorite training sets include active recovery.  What could be better than teaching your body how to recover while working!?  Genius! Smile

2007-06-02 10:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
quebec's belly button

sunscreen! it protects your skin so you don't burn and prevents from getting stuck with funny pale skin numbers on you where your skin didn't burn. It also makes the marker disapear like a snap with rubbing alcohol (and very little rubbing) !

2007-06-02 1:15 PM
in reply to: #826650

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
chipit muffin - 2007-06-02 8:09 AM

sunscreen! it protects your skin so you don't burn and prevents from getting stuck with funny pale skin numbers on you where your skin didn't burn. It also makes the marker disapear like a snap with rubbing alcohol (and very little rubbing) !

Why would you ever want to get rid of your number? I still have traces of my number from last Sunday on me--but maybe that says more about my hygiene than you want to know...

I also vote for sunscreen. Go nuts with it. And don't forget to put it UNDER your clothes (because your jersey or shorts will move on the bike) and ON TOP OF your hands. I have some really bad looking permanent scars from getting cooked in long races. Most of them are stripes where my clothes moved and exposed some non-sunscreened skin, and now I'll never be pretty again.

2007-06-04 2:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
If you go into a race well hydrated and fueled, you don't need any water during a 5k and you don't need anything but water for most typical length sprint tri's.   Why I've been wasting time trying to drink and/or eat during short races is beyond me.
2007-06-05 11:20 AM

User image

Veteran

If you are doing your first tri, write yourself a note/letter the night before.  Tell yourself that you are have trained properly, you are ready to race, tell yourself that you have put all your fears and doubts away and that you will make the course beg for mercy. Tape it in you helmet and as soon as you have you transition area set up, read it. After you have read it, go get some!!!

2007-06-05 12:36 PM
in reply to: #826481

User image

Veteran
Laval, Quebec
wsm9363 - 2007-06-01 11:22 PM

Yeah, I forgot about that tip. 

In nearly every case, it was race excitement, pumped with adrenaline, and starting way too fast.  Back off, take it easy, once you have your stroke and are feeling good THEN you can take off.

Last Sunday my first Tri:  I had this quote in my head and was not going to fall victim to starting too fast.  Did a little warm-up with the wetsuit that I never worn in the water on my first OWS and thought , WOW this is easy with the extra boyancy!

Race started and read above, that was me 100%.

2007-06-05 1:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Cliff, Texas
My tip along with agreeing with all the others stated thus far is this:

DO NOT GO ON LONG RUNS AFTER EATING JALAPENOS!
2007-06-05 1:07 PM

User image

Getting to a big race healthy is half the battle.....

2008-04-20 7:09 PM

User image

Master
NJ
on training rides, don't put granola bars in the same pocket as your cell. my charging port on my cell now is home to tons of granola bits that i can't get out. a zip lock will fix that, i guess.
2008-04-20 7:34 PM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA
  • Aloe vera gel (the sunburn stuff) also works well as an electrolyte gel for HRMs
  • Cheap plastic shoehorn helps to get shoes on in transition
  • If you're swimming in to a beach, don't waste time trying to figure out if it's shallow enough to stand--just swim until your hand touches bottom, and it will be shallow enough to stand and start running
2008-04-20 7:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglas County

Carry BandAids for after the race....the paramedics won't hate you if you pack your own.

Sunscreen with the spray is very handy for transition.  Takes only a couple seconds to spray on, and you can rub it in as you run.  (makes for funky pictures, though)

And lastly, I now have a full appreciation for the wonders of Body Glide.  Applied liberally, everywhere.

2008-04-20 8:25 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » List your Tips/Tricks it took you a while to figure out... Rss Feed  

of 3