General Discussion Race Reports! » Susan G. Komen National Race for the Cure Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Susan G. Komen National Race for the Cure - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
The National Mall , Washington, D.C.
United States
Susan G. Komen For the Cure
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 35m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Yogurt with banana, coffee.
Event warmup:

We walked all around the mall seeing the different exhibits and hoarding goodies, like Energizer Bunny ears, Breast Cancer scarves, etc. Stretched just before horn went off.
Run
  • 35m
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Lots of strollers when there weren't supposed to be strollers in the run segment. Lots of walkers as well and people with ipods that never walked straight, so it was hard to dodge them all and keep running. At certain turns and the water stations, had to walk to get through the crowds because we were completely bottlenecked. It took about 6 minutes to actually cross the finish line because there were so many people in the chutes getting their bib numbers recorded and handing their bottom portion of the bib to the volunteers.
What would you do differently?:

Find a 5K race with many fewer people. Register earlier -- my t-shirt and bib number did not come in the mail prior to the race like it should have. I had to wait in 3 lines to get a shirt that was too small and a new bib number.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretch, banana, water, juice, yogurt

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The huge crowd.

Event comments:

I did this 5K with three other ladies from my boot camp (our boot camp instructor is a breast cancer survivor). One lady ran with me, and the other two walked. If you really want to race and test yourself, find something with fewer entrants. Considering there were thousands of entrants, it was too hard to navigate around all the people on the course to do any real running. This was more social in nature than competitive, but it still was a good experience and we had a lot of fun!

Last updated: 2007-04-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:35:00 | 03.1 miles | 11m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Relatively flat, but too many people to really run like we wanted to. It took us 5 minutes from when the horn went off to when we actually crossed the starting line.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-06-02 10:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD
Subject: Susan G. Komen National Race for the Cure

2007-06-03 8:17 PM
in reply to: #826664

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Susan G. Komen National Race for the Cure
Way to go!!!  Your pace was pretty darn good even with all the bottle necking.  You would have rocked if all those people would have gotten out of your wayCool
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Susan G. Komen National Race for the Cure Rss Feed