Set-Up, Inc.
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 15m 47s
Overall Rank = 182/247
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 24/27
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 4:50. Banana, fig newtons, apple juice at 5:15. Depart for T1 to drop bike at 5:45. Return to T2 by 6:30 or so, setup that transition.
Event warmup:

Light jog down Gold St. with Paul. Try to settle the nerves. About 100m of swim warmup at the race site before swim start.
Swim
  • 44m 36s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started at the back of my wave, intentionally. Lainey said "Yep, you were at the back all right. For a while!" I finally caught a few feet from the wave after about 300m, and actually passed (I think) a few folks in my wave. Approx. 20min to the right turn buoy (not sure if it was placed halfway or not). I actually started getting a terrible headache at about 32 minutes, and started getting nauseous. Not sure if it was goggles too tight, or the swim cap, or what, but I was glad to get out of the water. Goggles were no problem, only a very slight amount of water in them at the end. This was my longest OWS, and no wetsuit as compared to the 750m 19:22 at White Lake
What would you do differently?:

MORE SWIM TRAINING!
Transition 1
  • 03m 54s
Comments:

Not so good T1. I did not hit my time goal. Some time was consumed getting everything in the white bag to go back downtown (15-20 seconds). Tried to consume a little vanilla Gu in a flask, but it wasn't going down...
Third gear was just right for the start.

Stick to Heed throughout the race. It works. Period.
Bike
  • 1h 28m 11s
  • 27.4 miles
  • 18.64 mile/hr
Comments:

Hills right out of the gate once we got on Stoney Point. Took me about 3 miles to get my legs about me (about the end of the first climb). Lots of traffic to navigate (silly BMW that would NOT pass cyclists!) Made some early passes then settled into a rhythym, especially on the 4-lane portion of Shelby Rd. Long climb on Kings Mtn. Blvd is where things started working, and I made up some time. Long uphill at mile 13.5 made me laugh! Wow! Single-digit speeds, granny low. Took a water bottle at the handoff, and got ready for more climbs. Hardest climb was on Pinnacle, and this was after my drivetrain began it's popping protest. Saw the wife and kids on the side of the road with Cat and her girls cheering me and Paul on (Paul finished sub-3 hrs) at the top of the Pinnacle climb, and all I could say was "LISTEN TO THE BIKE, IT'S BROKEN!" Duh.
I think top speed on the bike was around 43 at one point. Lowest speed around 9? :)

FIX THE BIKE! It started going POP POP POP at mile 18.
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

About took myself out when my wheel hit my shoe running off the bike. A fairly decent transition. Everything was where I needed it to be.

Still working on this...
Run
  • 57m 41s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Hit the "ate something too soon to racetime" wall at the end of the bike, and it carried over to the run. DO NOT EAT WITHIN 3 HOURS OF THE RACE!! I had terrible side stitches on the run, left side. Both thighs were cramping. Had to walk a considerable amount. 9:18? Come on, I can crawl faster than that!! I've been training in the 7:40s. Would have been nice if I could've yakked and gotten on with the race.

See above.
Post race
Warm down:

none. found the family. found a cold, wet towel for my head and some water, and a diet coke. found my two transition bags and hit the road for the hotel for a much-needed shower. quarter-pounder with cheese in Belmont was my recovery meal...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

concern over the popping in my bike on the last 9 miles. It made it, but it will go in for service. Absolutely poor nutrition planning made the bike and run suffer.

Event comments:

Hope to do this race again next year, with better planning!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-05-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:36 | 1500 meters | 02m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 27/27
Overall: 241/247
Performance: Below average
This time includes about 1:15 of run up the boat ramp, so actual swim time was about 43:21.
Suit: sugoi tri top and shorts
Course: dogleg right, one turn to the right.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:54
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:28:11 | 27.4 miles | 18.64 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/27
Overall: 113/247
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Hilly. Over 1700 feet of climb. Three major climbs, a lot of slightly smaller climbs, but the toughest race I've done.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85+
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:57:41 | 06.21 miles | 09m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/27
Overall: 174/247
Performance: Bad
Course: Rollers out to the left on Phifer, then a LARGE hill up to the turnaround. Course felt like similar effort to Pinehurst to me, even though it was not as steep. Uphill finish on Gold.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %3
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-06-03 2:09 AM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Subject: Over The Mountain Triathlon

2007-06-03 7:24 AM
in reply to: #827065

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Over The Mountain Triathlon
Congrats and good race.

I wanted to do this but lack of swimming/no OWS kinda ended that.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Over The Mountain Triathlon Rss Feed