Lower Shore Family YMCA
79F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 32s
Overall Rank = 26/307
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 13/69
Pre-race routine:

Regina got grounded due to bad weather on her flight in from NY, so she was not home in time to join me for the race :-( . I got the kiddos up at 3am, and we hit the road by 3:45am for the 3.5 hour trip to the race. Got a perfect rack position, and got transition set up while chatting with Crabsrule. Weather was PERFECT, and the kiddos were poised and ready to cheer ole Dad on. Had coffee and a breakfast bar during the car ride, and a Clif bar at 7:30. Finally did a Hammergel at 8:45 before the swim start.
Event warmup:

None - took a quick dip to get the wetsuit "wet", but that's it.
Swim
  • 11m 32s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

I decided that I was going to attack the swim a bit more, so I tried starting at the front of my wave for the first time. Went out fast, and pretty much tried to keep that pace throughout. I found a swimmer that was close in speed, so I tried a little drafting, though didn't really notice any improvement in speed; I'm sure I was doing it wrong or something. The only thing I am disappointed with was my sighting ability of the finish line. I can sight bouys no problem, but I seem to have a pattern of veering off-course trying to line up on the swim exit. Not too bad - quickly corrected and got it done! I also decided to take my wetsuit off in the water vice the T1 area, and think that the suit did come off quicker while still in the water, so swim time includes W/S removal. Good tactic I think.
What would you do differently?:

Learn to sight the finish line/swim exit better.
Transition 1
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

Nothing too notable - pretty good T1 for me. Didn't have any disorientation problems coming out of the water this time, so I was able to move a little quicker and get out!

Nothing!
Bike
  • 44m 16s
  • 14.3 miles
  • 19.38 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike segment was strong, for me, but I felt as though I could have given more. Regina and I both agree that an aerobar hydration system would really help. I always dread when I have to straighten up and take a drink....maybe I can gain a bit off of staying aero the whole race. ANYWAY, nothing notable - was passed by only 6-10 people, some of whom I caught later in the bike segment.

Perhaps push it a little more. I was trying to ensure that I had a strong run, so I might have been a little conservative. I NEED TO BIKE MORE!
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

Got rammed getting off my bike at T2 - I need to learn to jump off and run for my own safety (and the person behind me's safety!). No fault - I think he was anticipating me doing a running dismount. T2 was not that notable - got in, got out, got it done!

Running dismount off bike.
Run
  • 25m 36s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 07m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt like a strong run - I spent the first mile getting my heartrate and breathing under control, then began picking people off one by one. At the turn (mile 2ish) I've discovered that dumping the water on my head gives me a nice pick-me-up! I had the same feeling on the run as the bike, thinking that I could have given a little more; I was concerned that if I started dropping the hammer too early, I've burn up. I'm still happy with the performance.

Maybe kick it up a little earlier for the finish.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with the kiddos and cheered the other participants in. Said hello to Brenda and Glenn (crabsrule and wyecrabs), and packed up to start the 3 hour journey back home!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing!

Event comments:

Nice race - very fast course - definitely a nice time-trial event if you want to see how fast you can burn up a sprint course. Run a little rough with all the grass running, but nothing impossible, and quite frankly, a somewhat refreshing challenge. Would do this race again.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-01-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:32 | 880 yards | 01m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/69
Overall: 0/307
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Wetsuit, Zoot trisuit underneath
Course: Spring-fed pond - counter-clockwise swim. Pretty straight forward.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:23
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:44:16 | 14.3 miles | 19.38 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: One big loop through fairly flat countryside. VERY fast, when the winds were in your favor.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:47
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:36 | 03.5 miles | 07m 19s  min/mile
Course: Out of transition across grass fields, turn onto paved road for an out-and-back, finally finishing across the beginning fields.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-03 7:07 AM

Veteran
Subject: Pocomoke Triathlon

2007-06-03 4:36 PM
in reply to: #827098

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Pocomoke Triathlon
You had a great race- way to go!!!!  You were a real speed demon.
2007-06-03 6:06 PM

I knew you'd smoke it, Baby! Wish I was there! XO
2007-06-04 7:48 AM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio

Geeze, you're fast.  Nice job - specially without your good luck charm to cheer you on.  Great race!

2007-06-04 7:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Centreville, MD
Well done and with a fast run!!  Congrats.  I think they should give you a 5 minute bonus for the 3+ hour drive the morning of the race!
2007-06-05 9:30 AM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Nice race, Joe. Looks like you were strong in all three legs. That was a fast age group you picked. Good to see you.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pocomoke Triathlon Rss Feed