City of Ridgeland Special Events
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 44m 33s
Overall Rank = /350+
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/8
Pre-race routine:

Set up transition; got body marked; hung out by the water watching other people swim.
Event warmup:

Eventually, got in the water for a short warm up swim. Reservoir is gross. Can't even see your hand in the water. Everyone with white tops had brown tops by the end of their warmups.
Swim
  • 17m 53s
  • 875 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Nasty, nasty water (but not as gross as the Culpepper reservoir in VA), but very calm and smooth. I had a good start, didn't hang back for a change, and navigated myself through a small mosh pit. Was proud of that. We all kept swimming into each other because we could see nothing in the water it was so murky, so drafting was difficult, but I did get a couple of swimmers in front of me to hang onto.
What would you do differently?:

This was a very good swim for me. Strong start and no anxiety whatever! Next time, though, after I settle from the start, I want to start picking up the pace/effort sooner and see if I can't drop more time.
Transition 1
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

While this is a good transition for me, still slow. I was smoother and I ran from swim exit to bike and then out. I mounted the bike pretty fast (no flying mounts for me).

More practice.
Bike
  • 1h 22m 50s
  • 25.4 miles
  • 18.40 mile/hr
Comments:

Two things wrong with the bike results: (1) course was long--a tad over 25 miles--because they changed it from the map, and (2) I am almost certain that my bike time was 1:21:xx. My average mph on the computer was 18.3...a bit faster than the 17.7 I got credit for. That being said, it's moot because it was the same for everyone, so it is obvious, even though I have improved significantly on the bike, I still need a lot more work to move up to MOP.

Postscript: Bike results were fixed to reflect actual distance. See. Not so whimpy on the bike. I wanted over 18mph and got 18.4.

Not much. I had a good ride. Kept it under control. Hills were hard because I think my legs are STILL recovering from Gulf Coast. Man, it sucks to get older.
Transition 2
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

For me, this is an okay transition time (it felt faster); however, still slow in the grand scheme of things.

Just need to work on this...
Run
  • 59m 43s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Got going okay, but really moving slow through the first half. Took advantage of the downhill on the way back and felt very good for the rest of the race. I was unsure I could get under 10min/mile pace, but did overall, and I bet I was closer to 9:30-9:40 for the second half.

Maybe start pushing the pace sooner. I was worried I would get beat back by the hills if I did, but I think I am strong enough that I would have recovered well on the downhill portion and still finished strong.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing today.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably confidence in myself. I had been still feeling fatigued from Gulf Coast, did a time trial on Tuesday of this week, so was worried about trashing my legs on the bike and run. I just need to push myself harder.

Event comments:

Very good race. Reservoir is gross, but can't do anything about that. Seemed to be a couple of glitches in results and, obviously, bike course was not as measured. These things happen, though.

Last updated: 2007-04-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:53 | 875 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/8
Overall: 0/350+
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri top & shorts. No wetsuit.
Course: Sort of a triangle that started in the water at Hobie Cove, out approximately 300y, across approximately 200y, and then back to the boat ramp for the exit.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:15
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:22:50 | 25.4 miles | 18.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/8
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out Madison Landing, to Post Road, to Rice Road, to Natchez Trace and back. Very gentle rolling hills. Great race course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:54
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:59:43 | 06.21 miles | 09m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/8
Performance: Average
Course: Same way out as on bike. From Rice Road, though, headed onto multi-use path toward Natchez Trace exit. Turnaround and headed back, crossed Rice Road, up to road along reservoir, around transition, finished at entrance to Old Trace Park. Slightly climbing on the way out=nice downhill for the way back. Path is shaded, so nice break from the sun.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes