Bike Doctor
23C / 73F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 05m 16s
Overall Rank = 51/71
Age Group = Female 30 to 39
Age Group Rank = 11/16
Pre-race routine:

Had a bowl of yogurt, Kashi Go Lean and a banana at 645 along with a couple cups of coffee before leaving for the race. Set up transition, biked, then waited in the pool area watching the heats before me.
Event warmup:

Rode the bike for 10 minutes and swam a couple of laps before my heat.

23°C, N 8km/h, Hum 61%, Mostly Sunny
Swim
  • 11m 27s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 17s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim was 5 people per lane starting 5 seconds apart. It was crowded but expected for a pool swim. I delivered some good hard punches accidentally in the crowd (sorry!).

I ended up getting lapped by everyone in my lane. I said my swim would be 10 minutes...it was 11.5. My bad. Got a little flustered but then just swam my race. I wasn't the last out of the pool in my heat, thank goodness.

Official Swim Time 17:27
(including T1?)
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster?
Transition 1
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Socks went on fine but had the mountain bike cleats that laced up and had a big velcro strap which took some doing. Otherwise, I was out in a hurry.

Change right into my running shoes and have regular old pedals on my bike maybe?
Bike
  • 24m 9s
  • 10 kms
  • 24.84 km/hr
Comments:

The bike course was a fun little loop that we had to do five times. The only problem was that my bike has the super knobby tires so I couldn't go faster even though I only got passed twice.

Drank about half a bottle of Gatorade on the flat straightaway portion of the course on the road.

2.0) 4:38
4.0) 4:44
6.0) 4:42
8.0) 4:57
10.0) 5:08

Official Bike Time 20:18

Slicks on the bike will be a must for next time.
Transition 2
  • 00m 27s
Comments:

Racking the big old and heavy bike is more of an endeavour than the super light tri bike. Came in and switched shoes with no problem and was off.

Nothing.
Run
  • 27m 34s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 31s  min/km
Comments:

Legs felt a little bricky but was able to shake it off quickly. Kept the legs turning and turning. The sun was warm so the dad and kid with the super soaker water guns at the start of the course were a fun addition. The out portion had more slight uphills which kept me determined to enjoy the downhills on the way back. I just chugged along.

Every time I got passed by a certain speedy Bruce's Cycle Works girl, she greeted me by name. I have to admit that it was a good distraction to ponder where I might have known her from - high school, university, hockey or whatever other random connection there could be. Turns out it was Andrea (amg) from BT! Yay for BTers.

As well, Erin (stbrrn) was my 'rabbit' for the last leg of the course. Couldn't catch her at the finish though.

1.25) 7:04
2.50) 6:45
3.75) 7:00
5.00) 6:45

Official Run Time 27:31

Nothing. It was a good hard effort on the run with all that I had.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and got my smoothie.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The extra 20lbs of me - it's slowly disappearing though.

Event comments:

Very well run race.

Timing was off but I guess without ankle chips, it's hard to keep track of all the racers.

Last updated: 2007-03-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:27 | 500 meters | 02m 17s / 100meters
Age Group: 16/16
Overall: 0/71
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 20m pool. 5 people per lane. Two lanes were together with swimmers going out on the outside and then returning on the inside of each lane without lane divider in between.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:37
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:24:09 | 10 kms | 24.84 km/hr
Age Group: 1/16
Wind: Little
Course: 5 x 2km loop. Two thirds on Lakewood Pedestrian Path (hard packed gravel with some loose gravel in spots) and the remaining on the Heritage Crescent roadway back into the transition area.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:34 | 05 kms | 05m 31s  min/km
Age Group: 11/16
Performance: Good
Course: 2 x 2.5km out and back. Heritage Crescent to gravel pathway, crossing Heritage going east onto sidewalk to Boychuk Drive and north on asphalt sidewalk to the turnaround.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-03 3:25 PM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan
Subject: Moe's Triathlon

2007-06-03 6:06 PM
in reply to: #827311

User image

Veteran
Sask.
Subject: RE: Moe's Triathlon
Wow, this race report was up in record time.  I never tought I would be a 'rabbit' in someone elses race report, thanks.  You did great, see you at Spin.
2007-06-03 7:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Good job! Sounds like you had a great race.
2007-06-04 7:27 AM

User image

Master
La Crosse
Just one question: Who's Moe?

2007-06-06 9:40 AM

User image

Congrats on a good race!

Some of the "official" splits are definitely off - your swim/bike times seem wrong (the swim time should be to when you walked out the building; the bike should include both T1 and T2) - I'm guessing they missed you when you left the pool, and only got your time down when they realized "oh, every one is done this heat..."

You don't necessarily need slicks for the mountain bike, but you could switch to a skinnier tire. I was using the 26x1.5 tires that I use for cyclocross in the fall - still get good traction on the loose stuff, but cuts down the rolling resistance.

Next up... Spin! The lake was nice last night, so I hope it stays that way for race day! See you then.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Moe's Triathlon Rss Feed