70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 5s
Overall Rank = 37/588
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/37
Pre-race routine:

apoligies if this is too long.
got down to cedar rapids after doing a bunch of stuff at home. the packet guys were giving me attitude because i was trying to grab my wife's packet too, but i guess it was a long day for them. rach's brother lives in cedar rapids, so went over there, had a big dinner and tried to get some sleep. forcast was for scattered t-storms.
Event warmup:

rach was nice enough to humor me and we arrived before transistion opened. partly cloudy!!! got a great parking spot right by it. after it opened, we took our gear in and got set up (slippery little rubber bands!) rach's friends were there, so she hung out with them as i ran for about 15 minutes to warm up. hit the porta-johns about three different times, and also made a dash to the car as i remembered my wedding ring was still on (a little loose on account that the tris have helped me lose weight, didn't want it to be at the bottom of the lake). hung out at the beach until it was time to put some lipstick on this pig.
Swim
  • 07m 22s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 21s / 100 yards
Comments:

before the start a bunch of guys jumped in front of me. i didn't want to say, "hey guys, i think i'm faster than you in the swim, move." no worries though. got through them without too much trouble. arms felt tired right away. i guess i shouldn't do any more celing sheet rocking two days before ;) i found a pair of feet that said to me, "i'm going about as fast as you, so climb on!" and i said, "thank you mr. feet, i will" i felt like i was holding back a little, worried that i was going to kill myself in the swim. i zipped around mr. feet right at the end, but he was wearing a wetsuit, so i don't feel bad. i figured i would beat my swim time from last year of 7:02, and i forgot to hit the split coming out. good thing as i didn't. may have made me mopy the rest of the race.
What would you do differently?:

rest my arms a little more, and perhaps give it a little more gas.
Transition 1
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

hey, rubber bands worked out okay! t1 was still a bit of a clusterf*$k, but i dropped 2 min from last time. not having to put a shirt on really helped.

not much, i was pretty happy with it.
Bike
  • 41m 58s
  • 15.53 miles
  • 22.20 mile/hr
Comments:

jumped into the shoes with little difficultly. was going to go nice and slow for a while to get into being vertical. i was in heat 8 so there were a ton of people to pass and you couldn't help but draft off of everyone. i had some diluted gatorade energy drink in the water bottle, a hammer gel and some endurolytes taped to the side of the bike. good bike, felt good, not too hard, not too pansy. was trading places with a guy for a while. the 30-35 males were right behind us so it was hard to tell if a guy passing me was in my ag. i felt pretty good on the hills, they weren't too bad, but i was saving a little something for them. drank the bottle, got the endurolytes about mile 10 and half the hammer gel at mile 13.5 (note to self, use less tape and more gel in your mouth and not on your bike). might have got out of the shoes a little early, but hey, what are you going to do?

stay in the shoes longer, not tape up the gel so much. good effort, good ride.
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

another cluster, but extremely happy with time.

not much you can do about too many people.
Run
  • 20m 50s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

heh, 69, oh sorry. ah running, the swimmer's anti-sport. running has long been the bane of my triathlon existance. seeing guys i crush in the swim and bike blow kisses to me as they float by on the run like i'm standing still. okay, so taking the run out slow. nice conservative effot to save a little for the mostly uphill second half. starting cramping in the stomach, didn't know what from. maybe the hammer gel with too little water. pressed on to the turn around and felt i was in pretty good shape. coming back i was looking at the competiion behind me and didn't see anyone my age! oh, this looks good, maybe i can coast into victory without worrying about.....oh wait, that guy about 300 yards back looks my age, and he looks fast. crap, better pick it up some. cramping worsened and started to get tired. got to the last turn and looked behind me, speedy had gained quite a bit of ground. i sucked it up and finished with what i had left, hoping it was enough. speedy did not catch me (although i found out that he was in the wave after me. so techniquely, he kicked my butt).

finish less like a pansy.
Post race
Warm down:

walking around and eating anything i could get my hands on. what a great spread!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

not much, i felt pretty good about this race.

Event comments:

looked at my watch at the finish, 1:13! YEAH BABY! in the "unrealistic time goal" i had about a 1:15. looked at the results, 1:13 confirmed, and oh, what's this? age group award!!!!!!! oh billy! my first tri award!!!!!! very excited, made my wife stay the extra two hours after finish for the award ceromony and raffle (rach did very well also beating out two rivals and dropping four minutes). i looked at my splits and i am very pleased. the swim, what are you going to do? but 22 on the bike and sub-7 on the run. happy day! this little piggy kicked some tail!
oh, and i won a free hotel stay as a door prize (which is all booked up for the HIM in august :(

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-12-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:22 | 547 yards | 01m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/37
Overall: 31/588
Performance: Good
hr strap was fried, no hr data :(, i'll have to replace the battery
Suit: team javelin jersey and shorts
Course: out and back lake swim.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:58
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:58 | 15.53 miles | 22.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/37
Overall: 54/588
again, no hr data. didn't think my hr was 78.
Wind: Little
Course: out of the park and downhill to the little town of palo. turn around and hit one big hill that we had to go up and down twice. the second not as much fun as the first. bumpy road, a bunch of local traffic. lots of bikers.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:50 | 03.11 miles | 06m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/37
Overall: 69/588
none :(
Course: small rolling hills around the lake to a turn around point and back again. two aid stations, one out of transistion and one about mile 1 hitting it twice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-06-03 5:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
Subject: Pigman Triathlon - Sprint

2007-06-03 5:41 PM
in reply to: #827399

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville
Subject: RE: Pigman Triathlon - Sprint
wow, great job 3rd in age group and 37th overall, that is great I had no idea that you were a local top age-grouper. Very impressive splits, great job. Me... i was at work today.
2007-06-03 11:03 PM

User image

Regular
Corona, California

Awesome race!!! You were fast across the board, especially-22+mph on the bike, and a 20 minute run. Dude, your my hero. That was an incredible race.  and next time don't hang rock before your race...  : )

Have a great week!!

2007-06-04 10:04 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Great race!  Nice splits in all 3 legs.

Congrats on the "ceramic"-ware. 

2007-06-05 10:02 AM

Veteran
Ames IA
congrats on the Pig. Hopefully I can get one next year to match yours and my wifes (albeit in a much slower wave)
2007-06-06 10:51 AM

User image

Regular
Middletown, DE
Awesome job man & congrats on your 1st award.  I like the pig.

2007-06-14 6:36 PM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
Seesh!  All I can say is F.A.S.T.  You smoked this tri like you smoked your half mary.  Awesome job...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pigman Triathlon - Sprint Rss Feed