General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffalo Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Buffalo Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Buffalo, Minnesota
United States
Buffalo Triathlon
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 28m 31s
Overall Rank = 435/730
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 46/91
Pre-race routine:

I ate some honey nut cheerios, but had trouble eating very much. My stomach was upset, probably nerves. I stopped at a gas station on my way into town, which is a good bit of advice to avoid all the bathroom lines.
Event warmup:

I didn't warm up much. I was in heat #10, so I went into the water, more to get used to chilly temperatures. I was without a wetsuit.
Swim
  • 08m 18s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Boy it was cold. Without a wetsuit, I was pretty chilly, but made it. I spent the first 2 minutes swimming with my head above water. Every few strokes, I would put my face in the water and start to hyperventilate and panic. Not typical of my swim skills. Overall, I guess I was pretty pleased with my time. My goggles also fogged up making the sighting a little difficult.
What would you do differently?:

More OWS and continue to tell myself not to panic in cold water. Try some suggested techniques beside spit to keep goggles fog-free.
Transition 1
  • 03m 11s
Comments:

There was quite a run up the hill into the transition area. I remembered right away where my bike was. Everything went very smoothly. I took an extra puff of my asthma inhaler, which helped with the bike.
Bike
  • 47m 5s
  • 13 miles
  • 16.57 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew it was going to be hilly, and hills are my nemesis. I pushed as hard as I could, especially when I had a downhill right before the uphill. I think 3 hills really killed me, where I was averaging less than 10mph up them. Alternating standing/staying seated seemed to help. I even rocked the granny gear for some of the hills. I was frustrated with some of the riders who didn't move over. I also tried to pass a woman, and she would not fall back and kept speeding up. I told her verbally that she has to fall back and she looked angry, but clearly did not know the drafting rules. Because of the hills, I had a hard time getting my breathing under control. Biking is usually much more muscle fatiguing that cardiovascular for me, except for when there are hills. Yikes!

Practice more hills. Become more comfortable shifting between my different rings in the front of the bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

The volunteers kept yelling at me to slow down, but I continued pretty fast up to them at the mat and passed 3 people very quickly. I unclipped down the hill into the transition and everything went smoothly.
Run
  • 28m
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I was really impressed with my time, since I have not been running a lot and don't seem to break a 10:00minute mile on my own, but with all the excitement (despite cramps in my calves), I drop 40 seconds off my per minute pace. This tells me that I need to start push my running a bit more. My heart rate was above 178 the entire run, so I really put my A game forward.

Run more! Run Hills! Run tempo runs! Run Intervals! Run!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

faked out the volunteer with a dry heaving incident across the finish line. Walked a round, drank and ate some snacks.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Had some trouble getting my breathing under control. I need to look into different ways to manage my asthma.

Event comments:

This was a very well organized event. There were many volunteers and it really had a small town feel. I was hoping that I could finish in under 1 hour 30 minutes, and I met my personal goal. Can't wait to do it next year (hopefully with a wetsuit). Sorry I didn't get to introduce myself to any BT'ers. See you at the Minneman.

Last updated: 2007-06-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:18 | 440 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 51/91
Overall: 406/730
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:11
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:47:05 | 13 miles | 16.57 mile/hr
Age Group: 34/91
Overall: 379/730
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:00 | 03 miles | 09m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 64/91
Overall: 534/730
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back along part of the lake. The bikers were on the road coming in from the bike, which was nice to see and distracted me in a good way.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-03 6:59 PM

User image

Twin Cities, MN
Subject: Buffalo Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2007-06-03 7:46 PM
in reply to: #827491

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Buffalo Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Sorry we didn't meet up.  I was the volunteer at the bottom of the hill between the two transition areas telling people to be carefull on the way dow.  Hopefully we can meet up at Minnean.  Good job with beating your goal time today.
2007-06-03 7:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woodbury,
Nice race! Its great when you meet your goals. Hopefully see you at MinneMan.
2007-06-03 9:53 PM

User image

Master
Minnesota
Nice run!!! It's amazing how adrenaline and the support of people make you run faster!
2007-06-04 7:31 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Wow, no wetsuit !?  You were braver than I was yesterday in that water.  Glad you enjoyed your race!
2007-06-04 7:51 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Nice race! Great job meeting your goal and dealing with cold water! Hope to meet you at Minneman!

2007-06-04 5:31 PM

User image

Twin Cities, MN
Thanks for all the kind words. I feel better about my training and should do just fine at the Minneman (since there are way less hills).
2007-06-04 6:41 PM

Veteran
Minneapolis
Good job! No wetsuit?! You must be more Minnesotan than I, that water was too cold for me to go without!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffalo Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed