Lower Shore Family YMCA
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 15m 17s
Overall Rank = 294/307
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 26/28
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30, ate a PB&J and drank some coffee. Out of the house at 5:40 for the 1hr and 45 min. trek to Pocomoke.
Event warmup:

Racked bike and spent some time chatting w/ lcsolutions (Joe). Ran into a couple of TCY Master's swimmers I didn't know where doing the race. That was a nice surprise. After the pre-race meeting got to warm-up a bit in the pond. It was weird to be swimming in open water that wasn't salty.
Swim
  • 16m 36s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim seemed to take forever. I'm really am not sure what happened here. There was minimal contact with other swimmers, the water was a nice temp and there was zero discomfort with the wetsuit. I should have nailed this swim and I didn't. My googles fogged up early which was really frustrating. I had a hard time getting into a rhythmn, I was breathing every other stroke. My HRM had my ave HR for the swim at 152 - I was putting in a lot of effort for poor results. On the way back in I passed a couple of other swimmers - guess things finally clicked.
What would you do differently?:

I have got to get more results for the effort I put into it!!!
Transition 1
  • 03m 6s
Comments:

I am surprised my time was so long on this. I thought I was being pretty efficient.

I've got to work on shortening up my T1 time
Bike
  • 54m 26s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 15.98 mile/hr
Comments:

My actually riding pace is better than it seems - I had to walk with bike for quite a distance after crossing the timing mat because of loose gravel in the parking lot. The bike was the best part of the race for me. I passed lots. The course was windy in several spots. It felt really good to pass people when the going was tough. I have got to figure out how to drink on the bike w/out dropping my speed so much. Because what happens is that I end up not drinking enough. I took two gels on the bike, one early and another close to the end. That worked well.

Drink more, ride faster!!!
Transition 2
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

Was caught off guard coming into T2. A guy standing close to the timing mat says to me "Wow, you're a much faster biker than you are a swimmer." I have no idea who this guys was. My comment back to him was "Yeah, and I bike faster than I run so I gotta go". I didn't think I even slowed down, but my time is longer than I would expect just to slap on a hat and running shoes with yanks in them.

Do it faster!!
Run
  • 59m 1s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 16m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

By the time I started running it was hot. This is a crappy pace - even for me. I really don't think I pushed too hard on the bike because my legs didn't feel bad. I probably should have drank more on the bike, that might have helped. There was water coming out of T2, but the next water station wasn't until the turn around (at 1.7 miles). As hot as it was, it would have been nice if they had more water on the course.

The obvious - run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Glenn and the kids were waiting for me at the finish. Bethany ran across the line with me. That was very cool!!
Got some gatorade and chatted with lcsolutions and other friends.
Saw Lilly come across the finish line. She works at the "Y" where we have Master's practice. This was her first tri. We had talked, bobbing around in the lake before our wave went off - she was really nervous. It was so cool to talk to her - she was so excited about the whole experience. Really made me realize that I needed an additude adjustment - I was being way to bummed about my run.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think a big part of it was the heat on the run. Also, I probably didn't drink enough considering the temps.

Event comments:

This race is super laid back. No body marking, no color coded swim caps for the waves. In fact - you need to bring your own cap. It's a nice course - the one exception would be the chicken houses on the bike and run course (particularlly the run course - it takes much longer to get past it!!!). But it is a great way to start the season.

Last updated: 2007-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:36 | 880 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/28
Overall: 0/307
Performance:
Ave HR 152
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:06
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:54:26 | 14.5 miles | 15.98 mile/hr
Performance:
Ave HR 175
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:10
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:59:01 | 03.5 miles | 16m 52s  min/mile
Performance:
Ave HR 175
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-06-03 7:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Pocomoke Triathlon

2007-06-03 7:42 PM
in reply to: #827515

Veteran
Subject: RE: Pocomoke Triathlon
Great kickoff for the season! I liked the remarks about the chicken coups - I had forgotten about that part! Agree on the need for more water somewhere on the run. Who was the dude offering unsolicited time analysis at T2? Wierd. Anyway, here's to one down, and many more successful tri's to go! ~ Joe
2007-06-03 8:16 PM

User image

Veteran

great way to start the season (i'm jealous yours has started already!)

didn't realize you had a fan (or at least a weirdo following your progress?)

awesome job! 

2007-06-03 9:19 PM

User image

Veteran

Great start to the season! 

Saturday was a hot one.....it will be good practice for Iron girl in August that will surely be hot and humid!

2007-06-04 6:31 AM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Great job getting your first race of the season completed!!  Nice RR, hope that guy didn't think he was being funny?? One down and more to come!!! Looking forward to seeing you at Iron Girl, god willing!?
2007-06-04 7:03 AM

User image

Elite
Reston VA
Great race and great race report! I would have slapped that guy in T2! I am so evil when I am racing

2007-06-04 7:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Centreville, MD

Great job, Brenda!  It was really hot and I know there's not an inch of shade on that course.  You've got another race and some good experience under your belt!

I agree with Shelly - you should have told that guy where to stick his observations.

2007-06-04 8:39 AM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
way to go Brenda! i too, am jealous that you've had a race already! accentuate the positive, you did great on the bike and someone noticed (filter out the other part of the comment - that stuff is nonsense) the heat is definitely a factor - very hard to run in it - and you prolly did need more water... all in all, great effort - congrats!
2007-06-04 8:55 AM

User image

Regular
Great job! I agree with you 100% on the swim. It was my first tri and didn't think I was ever going to get out of the water. I think my friend Paul encountered the same guy you did coming into T2, making some weird comment about his bike.

2007-06-04 12:49 PM

User image

Master
SMIBville
Great job on the race! Nice RR. Fun read, sorry to hear about the guy in T2.
2007-06-05 8:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey Brenda, one race down a summers worth to go, Yea!!!  A great rr and look at you on the bike, nice job!  And for the run?!? I'm with the others, I think heat, humidity and lack of hydration can be killer.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pocomoke Triathlon Rss Feed