Tri and Du It Race Events
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 31m 28s
Overall Rank = 67/78
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

Ate breakfast and picked up my father. He calls me night before and says he wants to go...Yea I have a Jockstrapper!!
Event warmup:

Light jog. Never did Duathlon before, so I wasn't sure what to expect.
Run
  • 20m 42s
  • 2 miles
  • 10m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

I wanted to pace myself because I knew I had to do this run again sandwiched around 12 mile bike. I knew I was DFL on first loop when cops started cheering for me telling me I give hope to beer drinkers everywhere. Thanks boys, but I don't drink, but didn't think this was the right time to have that discussion.
What would you do differently?:

Keep working on reducing engine weight.
Transition 1
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

Pretty quick for me.

Nada
Bike
  • 45m 52s
  • 12 miles
  • 15.70 mile/hr
Comments:

Hills were killer to climb, but fun going down. I stayed aero most of the time, excpet when climbing. Hit max speed of 34.8. A lot of people were struggling on climb. Was first ride with new fitting and coaching from Frank..saw small improvements, but will continue to work on pedaling more efficiently.

Same as run concerns, work on reducing engine weight.
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Got a little turned around on the bike rack. Yanked my Yankz and pulled them right out of thingie on bottom of laces. Race the whole 2 miles with loose left shoe.

Not break my Yankz.
Run
  • 23m 7s
  • 2 miles
  • 11m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Actually thought I ran faster 2nd loop, but guess not. As we were approaching biggest/longest climb I get passed by a woman who cheers me on and I say "Look at that View"! (meaning the climb ahead) She thought I meant her ass and called me some dirty names! I just chuckled. I had to stop a couple of times, but limited my 3 walks to 10 seconds each. I was really struggling to bring it home and an anonymous angel #14 ran with me the last 1/2 mile and was shouting encouraging words. Thanks Rosemary (got her name from Results).

Same pattern here...more practice/bricks/run training/weight loss
Post race
Warm down:

As I cross finish line, my father is right there on phone and is talking to my wife who couldn't get into race site because they closed the roads. He goes to hand me the phone literally 5-7 seconds after I cross finish. I guess he read my WTF look and he just said that I'd call her back.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of bricks/engine weight.

Event comments:

I will do this event again. They have same one in Oct, could be good benchmark. Wife and son got blocked behind road closure, which turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Since Lucas was running around and we were in no hurry to leave, we actually were there for race awards. All of a sudden I hear my name called for 3rd place in AG! No Effing Way!!! How cool is that..I got Hardware!! Then we were still hanging around...you know us hardware winners hang around LOL..Anyway, during the raffle my # gets called for a digital camera!! My AG award and raffle award would have gone unclaimed if wife was on time and we left right after race. All these years her tardiness used to drive my insane...now it finally has benefitted me!:) Now I'm the ultimate Oxymoron, a true BoPer with Hardware!

It was very cool to drive to/from event with my Father. He is 79 years old and if it weren't for joint pain he could probably finish a Sprint tri. We somehow got on the subject of how long it has been since Long Island got hit with a Major (Cat 3) Hurricane and he proceeds to tell me about life during/after the Hurricane of 1938, which was before storms were named and the last major storm to hit Long Island. I sometimes forgoet how old my Dad is and just love listening to him tell stories of the old days..he really is a living history lesson. He even remembers milkman making deliveries by horse & buggy...I love My Dad and I love he was at race as well as my wife and son!! I had 3 jockstrappers at this race!!

Last updated: 2007-05-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:42 | 02 miles | 10m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/4
Overall: 78/78
Performance: Average
Course: A 2 mile loop around campus of SUNY-Old Westbury. Course had 2 major (for Long Island) climbs. North Shore of Long island is suprisingly hilly in spots..this was one of those spots.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:58
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
00:45:52 | 12 miles | 15.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 41/78
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: 4 mile loop x 3. Some tough hills where I saw computer hovering around a whopping 5-6 mph
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:07 | 02 miles | 11m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/4
Overall: 75/78
Performance: Below average
Course: Same as first loop.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-04 6:30 AM

User image

Master
Long Island, NY
Subject: Du Long Island

2007-06-04 8:22 AM
in reply to: #827948

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Subject: RE: Du Long Island
Great job Tim... also like the new avatar.  And hey, hardware is hardware, no matter how many people are in the AG.  Congats on your first podium finish.
2007-06-04 10:50 AM

User image

Veteran
MA

Suuuuuuuuuure you weren't talking about her red bike.  Uh huh, we all believe that. 

Amazing race- congratulations!  You give hope to non-drinkers everywhere? 

2007-06-05 8:59 AM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

Way to go Tim!!!! Nice job! Nice avg speed on the bike too. More will get that up even higher. That bike leg got you way out of DFL as well. Gotta like that.

Keep up the great training! It's great to see your motivation to train and get better! The best thing that comes out of motivation to train is a new wardrobe!! Bonus!

I also like the fact that you have more hardware than I do this year!! What's up with that!!

2007-06-06 9:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago
Great report Tim.... and congarts on the hardware - thanks too for sharing your thoughts re your dad - Mine is the same age  - your're lucky he is close.... savor those times together
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Du Long Island Rss Feed