General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bristol, New Hampshire
United States
Endorfun Sports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 45m 32s
Overall Rank = 175/668
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 21/139
Pre-race routine:

Drove up the day before. Got into town about 3:30 and checked into the B&B we were staying at about 15 min. from teh race site. Drove over to Bristol and drove part of the bike course to get a feel for the hills. Noticed some of the back roads were really beat up. Picked up my packet then went back and picked up my wife and kids and headed into Town for some dinner. Had a couple of pieces of pizza, but wasn't really hungry.
Went to bed about 9:30, up at 4:45 for soem breakfast. Had a bowl of cereal and a 1/2 of a clif bar. The owners of the B&B were nice enough to get up early and put some coffee on and put some food out for the racers to eat.
Went and woke the family up at 6:00 and had them drop me off at the course and they went back to shower and get ready.

Event warmup:

Check-in went smoothly, got body marked, racked my bike and laid out my transition area. The weather was kind of overcast and and it was lightly raining on and off. Luckily enough I had the foresight to keep a large garbage bag in my transition pack, so I was able to cover everything up and keep it dry.
About 20 min. from the start, donned the wetsuit and took about a 5 min. swim to get used to the water temps. Was a bit of shock initially @ 62 deg. but felt nice once I got going.
Swim
  • 28m 23s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a really good swim for me. I was pretty shocked when I got out of the water and saw 28 min. on the watch. I was aiming for a 30 min. swim and it felt like I wasn't going that fast. Thank god for the wetsuit. First 100 yards or so was pretty rough with 130 other guys, but after that, I found soem nice space about 10 yds off the bouy line, and never really ran into anyone the entire way. The only people I saw after that was swimmers from the wave behind me when they passed me about 200 yds from the end
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, This was faster than I ever hoped for
Transition 1
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

87/668 Wetsuit strippers were awesome. They should have those at all the races. Top was off by the time I got to the strippers, laid on my back, and it was off in a couple of seconds. Slipped shoes on (no socks) and was out of transitions

Nothing. This was about as fast as it gets
Bike
  • 1h 23m 25s
  • 27.34 miles
  • 19.67 mile/hr
Comments:

Going in, I was looking to average 19mph, so met my goal. Roads were really rough in spots. Ended up not drinking enough, because fluid wasn't sitting well in my stomach with all the bouncing around. Ended up getting in almost 2 full bottles plus 3 clif bloks. Devil's Hill wasn't that bad, just stood and grinded my way up. Tried to be aggressive on soem of the shorter hills and power up them as opposed to sitting and spinning in an easier gear. Saw my family twice along the course and it was a huge lift of my spirits.

Not much really. Think I just need more time in the saddle. Looking at the times of the people that finished around me, most were in the 20mph range
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

306/668. Didn't feel faster than T1. Had to sit to put on socks and shoes, but other than that, I was in and out.

Prbably could have been 20 sec. or so faster without having to put socks on, but I just can't run without socks.
Run
  • 50m 13s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

First and last miles were the fastest, everything else in between was pretty much below my expectations. Thought I would be able to average sub 8:00 m/m pace. But couldn't hold it after Mile 1. Ended up running, 8:00, 8:10, 8:19, 8:34, 8:20, 7:51 and :59 for last .2 miles. Started to really feel the heat and the sun. Tried taking water at every stop, but really wasn't sitting well. Just tried to suck it up and gut it out to the end. Got a huge kick in the a$$ from my 2 training partners; Dave and Stacey who were manning the BT water stop. Without them it would have been miserable.

Not really sure what I would do differently. I ran as hard as I could given how I was feeling. By the time I finished I was completely spent.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood in the lake for 10 min using the 62deg. water as an ice bath. Tried to eat something but wasn't really hungry. Got soem water in me, then back to room to shower and change. Then we took the kids out for some fun since they were such great supporters.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing really.

Event comments:

Very well organized race. Great course, great everything. Would highly recommend to anyone.

Last updated: 2007-06-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:23 | 1640 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/139
Overall: 207/668
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex Full
Course: Counterclockwise inverted V
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:47
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:23:25 | 27.34 miles | 19.67 mile/hr
Overall: 195/668
Wind: Some
Course: Clockwise loop around Newfound Lake
Road: Rough  Cadence: 95+
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:50:13 | 06.21 miles | 08m 05s  min/mile
Overall: 218/668
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back along Lake
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-06-04 7:06 AM

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT
Subject: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance

2007-06-06 5:50 AM
in reply to: #827975

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance

Great race and sweet that you bettered your expected time/paces!

I agree the BT aid station was fantastic and super motivational.

You really rocked the race....hope to see you at Lake T sometime and at Cranberry! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance Rss Feed