Lake Mills Triathlon
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 7s
Overall Rank = 110/663
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 19/62
Pre-race routine:

Got up about 3:50 and loaded myself and a friend's bike on the car. Was gonna have everything pre-loaded, but scattered shat was in the forecast, and didn't want to have everything soaked overnight. The moon was out, so it appeared weather was gonna cooperate. Picked up my friend and headed to the race. About halfway there it downpoured on us, but stopped before we got to the race. Felt good about that. I drank a gatorate, ate 2-banannas, and a granola bar. Also had a bottle of water.
Event warmup:

Set up in transition, and started stretching and such. Then, another random downpour decided to show up, so spent that entire time setting out my garbage bag and generally trying to keep my shat dry. Met pseudoyams and tripletmom for the first time. Both of them look ripped and race-ready. Shat. I think BT is becoming more like PRO-T, at least the group I'm hanging around. Also saw jszat and PeterAK, both looking ready for battle as well. The friend I came with is from tcfkam, and I was using him as my competition. I thought through the swim and bike we should be fairly close. After putting on the wetsuit I lost everybody so I went and swam to warm up. Compared to early kelly lake action, this water was a bath.
Swim
  • 08m 54s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim ROCKED for me. Started off and was comfortable for a change. Not panicing or trying to gather myself or anything. Got to just GO and concentrate on my stroke right away. BIG PROPS to jszat, triDDS, and firstnet911 for utilizing peer pressure and getting me out to OWS. That made a tremendous difference. My sighting was good, I had plenty o' juice, and stayed with the pack the entire time. Made for some interesting "grabs" and other shat which I haven't experienced before. Nothing like a random arm flailing down your back and dragging your feet down. All freestyle, head down, work!
What would you do differently?:

I guess, more training to be faster, but I wanted a minute off my swim time, and I got it here. So, exiting the water I was feeling happy with myself, but a bit more spent than normal.
Transition 1
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

Feeling good but typical HR spike outta the water. Run run run to my bike. I've never had a problem getting out of my wetsuit, but in the OWS at Kelly lake it's been tough to get out of. This had me psyched out. Told pseudoyams about that pre-race, and he mentioned getting one leg out and standing on the suit, and yanking the focker off. GREAT TIP! I used that to perfection and zipped right outta that suit.

Transition disorganized due to rain, wetness, plastic bags keeping shat dry, etc.

I saw my "competition" was not at his bike yet, but he arrived very shortly after me. Focking race is on.

Do a final check of the transition area and make sure my stuff is laid out nice. Sounds like a no-brainer, but with all the rain, etc., it was hard to keep organized. Oh, and when hopping on my bike in a mad frezny, don't slam my junk into the bike seat at maximum force. OUUUCH. Hurt for about half the ride.
Bike
  • 40m 31s
  • 15 miles
  • 22.21 mile/hr
Comments:

Start off on the bike ahead of my friend Mike. I'm am focking jamming, HR through the freakin' roof as I exit the transition and head up an initial hill. My bike computer has been having issues...whenever I transport the bike anywhere, it's down for a period of time. Then, it pops on later, and will work as long as I only ride. I know, wtf? Anyway, it's showing zeros now so I don't know how fast I'm going, but I'm rocking. Passing peeps like crazy. Really working hard. Probably too hard. Computer comes alive after a couple of miles and i'm going 23 at that point. I really wanted to break 40 minutes on this ride. About 6-miles in my friend passes me. The only person to pass. WHAAAT? So, I really turn on the juice and smoke past him on a downhill. We jockey for a bit...every time I hear him or see his shadow coming up I just pounded the pedals. ;) Around the turnaround we're still together until about 12, where he passed me for good, unfortunately. I ran myself outta juice. I had him on a tether, but not close. He ended up about 15-seconds ahead of me time-wise on the bike.

Well, I needed the 40:xx bike split at a minimum to break my PR, so not much. All the jamming and concentration had me hydrate like an azz, through. I looked at my water bottle at home, and I literally had perhaps drank 1/4 of it. DUH. That is a big problem for me...when I'm really concentrating on riding fast, I simply don't take the time to drink. I think I need an aerodrink or something.
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

This was the race, right here. Last year I was 1:00 flat, and wanted to be faster this year. I see Mike still in transition, so we're close at this point. I turn it on overdrive. Get my shat together, and make an "aggressive move" to put on my running shoe. Is there an aggressive move..apparently, because when I pointed my left foot to get into my shoe, my calf freakin locked up...HARD! I was literally stuck in a state of pain, hyperventalation, and shock with my foot half in/half out of the shoe. I grab the calf to try to rub it, and it is like a softball is underneath my skin. I've never felt anything like it before. Grab my water bottle and start slugging, not sure why I thought that would help. Slowly try to move my foot to stretch, and it starts to slowly respond again. I'm scared the race is over at this point. As it begins to respond I stretch it out, and it loosens up to about 50%. Get my shoes on and figure, wtf, might as well see what happens.

I don't know, try to put my shoe on with less aggression? ;) The extra minute here killed my race.
Run
  • 23m 4s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Exiting transition I'm even more lathered up than I was coming off the bike. The whole calf issue had me sofa king worked up it wasn't even funny. Basically hyperventalating. Funny how seconds of trouble feel like hours in a sprint. Get out to the trail and there's a small incline to launch up onto the trail. This incline puts me over the top. I wish I'd have worn my HRM, it would've been through the roof. Anyway, contemplate walking, that's how bad it was, but persist. Start to settle in, at least to a point. Calf is talking to me but I'm ignoring that. The trail is narrow, and passing was difficult. At one point, this group is running side-by-side, I go to pass, and coming the other way like a freight train is pseudoyams. Decide I'd better back off and wait to pass after he goes by. Soon after, jszat, later peter ak went by, both giving me a momentary pick-me-up. I could go into detail but suffice it to say I felt like azz from the moment the run started, and it didn't get any better. Disappointed with this run split, but gave it everything I had. Somebody yelled BT near the end of the run but I have no idea who that was, and didn't have the energy to turn around and look. Sorry about that. Was able to give it a finishing kick to look respectable (hopefully) to my already finished younger donkey brethren.

Not sure, the calf, nutrition, and fitness mistakes were already made by the time I got to the run, so there I just had to survive, and I did.
Post race
Warm down:

Breathing and sweating. Eventually hung with my friend Mike and our families, and the donkeys. Met scoobysdad, and glad he was happy with his race. Sorry to hear I was the anvil on the average time of the other donkeys. pseudoyams, peterAK, and jszat smoked the freakin' course. GREAT JOB GUYS!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Respect. I honestly have been training longer and didn't mentally respect this race. I didn't worry about nutrition or hydration because an hour of effort is nothing for me. It's a sprint, I've been telling myself, just blast off and have fun. Well, I did that, but even a sprint can bite you if you're not ready for the red-line effort. I BARELY PR'd this (1:16:07 vs. 1:16:23) and given the trouble I am happy. Could have "possibly" broken 1:15 without calf lock-up. Not playing that game, and I got what I got, but it tells me I have progressed and that's the goal.

Event comments:

Lake Mills is an outstanding course, great venue, and well organized. I'd recommend it to anyone, especially a beginner.

BTW, me vs. Mike.
Swim, Me (8:54), Mike (8:57)
Bike 40:31 vs. 40:03
Run 23:04 vs. 23:14

Overall 1:16:07 vs. 1:15:22. He got me by 45-seconds. Amazingly close.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-04-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:54 | 440 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/62
Overall: 0/663
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:39
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:40:31 | 15 miles | 22.21 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:23:04 | 03.11 miles | 07m 25s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-04 8:29 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Subject: Lake Mills Triathlon

2007-06-04 8:49 AM
in reply to: #828160

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Subject: RE: Lake Mills Triathlon
Sweet job.  We were wondering where you were on the run and sounds like a sufferfest with the calf.  As dumb as it sounds, I am finding hydration it key to keeping the cramps away.  Cripes, even took a fuel belt bottle with me on the 5k for sippin.  Way to tough out the cramps and solid race overall Donkus!
2007-06-04 8:54 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
I wouldn't complain at all about a PR and missing a goal by 7 seconds (4567 versus 4560 seconds, BTW). 
2007-06-04 9:07 AM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton

I suggest you focus on one thing:  YOUR NEW PR!!!!!

Congrats on the big swim improvement!

Hope your junk feels better today.

Hope your calf feels better today.

A couple thoughts: 

Go, right now, to Wheel in Hales Corners and buy an Aero Drink (I know they have them in stock as we picked one up for Lori yesterday).  You will not regret it.  I also suggest buying the plastic mounting bracket which is designed to be velcroed to your stem, but should be attached with zip ties, and is sold separately.  Then, go to a drug store and buy a shower poofie to replace the craptastic yellow mesh thingy. 

Race morning: Skip the bananas.  My coach steered me away from them because the glycogen from one banana gets burned in about 20 minutes.  Oatmeal is also bad race morning but I don't remember the logic.  You want a bagel with peanut butter.

EEEEAAAAWWWWWW!!!

2007-06-04 9:32 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Funny you mentioned that about the aerodrink.  My weekend rides on SP reminded me that I need to get my podiumquest mounted on my new bike.  I highly recommend it over the aerodrink.  I've never had much trouble with bouncing or splashing.  When it's full, sure, some will splash out.  But I just keep water in the front and sports drink in the regular bottles and who doesn' mind an occasional splash of cool water?  It really helps to not have to come out of aero to drink.

Anyhoo, CONGRATS ON THE PR!!  Add in the cramping and the weather and you did fantastic.  Stop beating yourself up.  And you and I can be the anchor half of our respective training circles. 

2007-06-04 10:03 AM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Great race, brother, and way to tough out those cramps. I know what those are like all too well. Hopefully, we can get a chance to talk more at the next race! Way to smoke it!

2007-06-04 10:13 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Great race.  And I think your run was pretty awesome, even w/ the cramps.  FWIW, I have the freakin' aerobottle and forgot to drink.  I do the same thing in the fast races for some reason.  Forget all about hydration/nutrition.   Sure we do 75' training all the time, but not at that pace.  Someday we will learn.
2007-06-04 11:04 AM

User image

Expert
Nice job Dan!  Tough break on with the calf, but it sounds like you had a damn solid race with that notwithstanding!  A PR is a PR no matter how close it is to the previous time....CONGRATS!!!  Good meeting ya and keep kicking some !
2007-06-04 3:57 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Great Race Dan! Way to go with hitting the PR. Looks like Team Turbo Donkey is certainly living up to the Turbo title.
2007-06-04 5:35 PM

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI

PR - nuff said!  That's the donkey way!

Really - great job fightin' through it - you rocked that thing by hammering that swim, really hammering the bike and last but not least, donkeys don't let calves get them down!

2007-06-04 6:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
MN

Gotta go with the crowd, run (or hobble with your calf) down and get an aero drink.  Mine holds almost a liter and is really easy to drink since the straw is inches from my face.  I put some duct tape (love that stuff) over the top to keep my drink in the holder and not on me.  In longer races I pull up the extra bottle and squirt it into the aero bottle.  For HIMs etc toss the extra bottle, get one handed to you and repeat.

Kinda sounds like you got out of your game on the bike too.  Was the extra time you made up there lost on the run?  Only you can tell. 

I personally think your training ihas you better suited for an oly distance. 

2007-06-05 11:31 AM

Well done, running through the pain is gnar...

I am the yeller! I have to talk to everyone when I run or I get so BORED! And you may have passed me singing bike karioke as well...

"If yr biking and you know it peddle fast..." to the tune of "If you're happy and you know it..."

If you ever train with me you'll get diva ballads though...childrens songs are only for race days.
2007-06-06 7:32 AM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Congrats on the PR!

Awesome job! You look good in Donkai Blue!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Mills Triathlon Rss Feed