United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 47m 4s
Overall Rank = 203/905
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 40/144
Pre-race routine:

Met Simon at the mall to car pool. Drove to site, staged bikes, and headed down the hill about 3/4 mile to the canoe start area. Peed a couple of times and finished off my vitamin water.
Event warmup:

Got canoes and headed to start line. We were pretty short on time so we were not aboe to do much.
Swim
  • 55m 42s
  • 5500 meters
  • 01m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

Canoe went well. We started out pumping pretty hard and the leveled off a bit. Cut 5 minutes off our time from last year so we were pretty happy about that. Took a Gu and chugged some water about 500m before the stopping point. Got to the finish and jumped out of the boat with shoes on and untied so I was able to keep my feet clean.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Time was included in the canoe time. Had to stop and put socks on as well as go to the potty. Whew that felt better. Headed out onto the run. 3 minutes in the transition area was slow, but having to get everything organized helped in the long run
What would you do differently?:

be a little faster
Bike
  • 55m 59s
  • 17.71 miles
  • 18.98 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was actually the finishing segment. Had trouble at the beginning since I just got off the run. Took about 2 miles to get my legs under me. Dropped a water bottle twice on the course and I turned around both times to pick it. It was brand new and the only bottle I had since Simon forgot his and I gave him my other. THe only fluids I had so I needed to keep them and I did not want to lose my brand new bottle. Duh! I really tried to keep my cadence in the 80-85 range. When I started to get over 85 I geared up, and when I went under I geared down. I thought I did pretty well on this. At times the wind was a bitch, but I got passed by no one on the course and passed around 25 people. Very happy about that. The last time I dropped my water bottle a guy in red shorts passed me. When I finally got up and going agian he was 200-250 yards ahead. I HAD to catch him. I told Simon the plan and he said to go for it. He was just hanging on at this point since he had not rid very much this year if at all. So I took off. I had about 2 miles ot get him. With about 300 yards to go I went by him and I heard him say SHIT! I was going about 3 miles an hour faster but he started to mash. Too late. Cruised into the finish, hopped off and jogged through the line. I am glad he was there at the end. He was a good motivator to finish strong. Thanks red short buddy!!

not drop water, train more on the bike. Half Mary training cut into my bike time
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 time was included in run. Put shoes on and helmet on and I was off
Run
  • 55m 14s
  • 6 miles
  • 09m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Started the first mile a smidge slower than I wanted but it did nto seem to hurt us too bad. Somewhere between 1030 and 11 min mile. Picked up the pace as we went along. Walked two aid stations long enought to drink the water and then back at it. Got passed by about 8 people but caught all but 3 of them as the course went along. Passed quite a few other people along the way. THe Killer Hill really kicked my butt. I tried to keep a good steady but fast walking pace but I was breathing really heavy, check that - gasping the whole way. That was a monsterous hill.

Maybe run a bit faster? not sure
I had a little too much fluid and felt slightly bloated. Maybe not drink quite as much, or not eat as much breakfast as some of the bloating feeling was residual
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

dropping water bottles

Event comments:

Went over and had a plate of BBQ and green beans and a cookie after the race. Band was playing while we ate and waited on Tom and Schnee to come across. THey started 12 minutes before us and we finished over 20 minutes ahead so that felt good to beat them. Schnee was one of my old FB coaches from High School so that was really good. heh.

Last updated: 2007-05-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:55:42 | 5500 meters | 01m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/144
Overall: 0/905
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: 5.5 miles down the Litle Miami River
Start type: Dive Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:55:59 | 17.71 miles | 18.98 mile/hr
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: One loop course out and around the state park
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:55:14 | 06 miles | 09m 13s  min/mile
Course: Running back up the river and finishing on the "Killer Hill" Slight uphill grade most of the way with some small rollers and 1 huge hill at the end. the was straight up with steps, roots, and dirt trail
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-04 8:59 AM

User image

Expert
Ross, Ohio
Subject: Morgans Little Miami Triathlon

2007-06-04 3:12 PM
in reply to: #828240

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: RE: Morgans Little Miami Triathlon

Very nice job on your race!!!!  It's fun to race the same course a year apart and see improvement.  Yippeee!!!

This sounds like a very fun race!  BBQ at the end is pretty darn cool too! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Morgans Little Miami Triathlon Rss Feed