HFP Racing
69F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 34m 6s
Overall Rank = 113/172
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 17/20
Pre-race routine:

Alarm went off at 5:30 AM, I turned it off and laid back down for a few minutes. Got up and got dressed, went in and woke up the 2 older kids. They were coming with me to jock-strap. Trigirl10 (who I thought might give me a problem) got up without a problem, Speedyboy9 (who I figured would NOT give me a problem) was whining and crying about getting up and going. If I had NOT already woke up Trigirl10, I might have let him sleep and stay.

I had packed everything the night before, so there was nothing else to pack. Grabbed the water bottles, and filled my bike tires loaded the bike on the car, and loaded the 2 kids.

Drove through a really pretty light show, and wondered IF the race was going to be on or off. (Translation there was lightning flashing as I was driving down to the race site.)

Got to the race site, jumped out of the car and headed to the packet pickup area. Trigirl10 said she felt like she wanted to puke, and she was looking a little pale. I was going to leave her in the car, but SHE insisted that she come with me. We walked over got the bag of goodies, race numbers and etc.... picked up the timing chip and headed over to wait in the port-a-pot line.

When I got to the car, Speedyboy9 was basically asleep. I got my gear, and bike and headed back to the transition area. Got set up and thought about heading out for a quick bike.... then I heard them call the pre-race prayer. I didn't get there this time, I started getting my wetsuit on and by the time I finished that it was basically start time for the duathlon.

Headed to the lake and jumped in.
Event warmup:

I did a quick out and back from the shore, then up and down... maybe 200-300 yards total. The water felt pretty good, but I was still happy to have the wetsuit.
Swim
  • 17m 50s
  • 821 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

I think I made a mistake in the start. There was NO ONE in the front, so I went up to the front. That put me right in the middle of the pack, wave start had 30-40 I think. I started out pretty well, but within a 20-30 second time frame I was swimming into and up to others. I kept hitting someone then I would have to figure out how to get around them.

The course seemed a LOT longer than what it said it was. I have been swimming sub 2:00/100s and it sure seemed longer. But some of that was swimming with folks in the way, and likely my not following a straight line.

I was feeling a little tired partly because of my workout Saturday, so that may have impacted my performance as well.
What would you do differently?:

Not start in the front, figure out how to get around people better.
Transition 1
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

I got out of the water, headed up the hill and into the transition area. Prior to hitting the transition area, I had the suit around my waist and the Garmin on my arm. I did not try to put the shoes on the bike, I did that last fall and it didn't work very well.

Hung the wetsuit up and grabbed my helmet and glasses, shoes. Headed out to the line, hit the line and had to deal with 2-3 people STOPPED right in front of the transition area. Grrrrr, got around them jumped on the bike, and started pedaling.

I was tied for 10th in T1 speed - If I had cut 15 second that would have moved me up 4 places.

Watch for a better line to take out of the area.
Bike
  • 42m 54s
  • 12.9 miles
  • 18.04 mile/hr
Comments:

I passed a couple people right off, but then just fell into a good pace. I felt tired still from the ride Saturday. I had not pushed that hard, but I can tell I have been slacking on the bike. Averaging only 18 MPH is pretty pityful at this point. I should have done better.

The front of the course was fine, the last 3 miles there are 2 hills that I knew were coming, but still hurt like heck to get up.

I really did feel off on the bike today, I am not 100% sure why.

When I was pulling into the transition area, I pulled both feet out of the shoes and pedaled on top of the shoes.

Like Bear says.... RIDE MORE
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

I really can't complain about the transition. I think it went great this time. I didn't forget anything.

I was 11th or 12th in T2 speed, so I am not really getting hurt there either. If I could run without socks it would be faster, I may try that for another race. Put some body glide on the insole of my shoes and see it that will allow me to run without blisters.

Nothing
Run
  • 30m 17s
  • 3.02 miles
  • 10m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Ok this is where it hurts. I need to figure out how to run faster off the bike. I think most of this is mental, since I already tired and just trying to get through the last of it.

I can run a 25 minute 5K free standing, but then put it as part of a tri and I add 5 minutes... not a good thing.

I felt ok the first mile, but I just was struggling the rest of the race. I walked at the water station, at mile 1.25 then walked a little during the 3rd mile. I just didn't push like I should have there. I think I just need to start doing more bricks.

I gave up a LOT of places here. Based on my other areas, I need to work on the run. 139 verses 72 verses 107. So I am needing to work on this.

Run LOTS more bricks.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a water, saw my daughter and hugged her. Walked down to the beach to see if I could find my son, found he was not there. He came running up as we were walking back toward the transition area. He CLAIMS he heard my daughters whistle, except she was not blowing it. So he was pretty close by just not where my daughter had last seen him. Walked around and finished my water.

After 15-30 minutes I grabbed some food, then ate it while talking with a man named Tom. He wanted to know about my Tri-club.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not running and biking enough.

Event comments:

Food was not put out until late, selection was pretty sparce. 2 kinds of pasta, banana halves, cookies, and watermelon.

Last updated: 2007-03-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:50 | 821 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/20
Overall: 73/172
Performance: Average
Per my garmin that was .58 of a mile. Avg HR 118, peaked out at 138 during the jog to the transition area. That took about a minute.
Suit: Ironman - Instinct
Course: Big retangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:40
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:42:54 | 12.9 miles | 18.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/20
Overall: 107/172
Performance: Average
Avg HR 126
Wind: Some
Course: A big loop, I have no clue what roads it covered.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 84
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:30:17 | 03.02 miles | 10m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/20
Overall: 139/172
Performance: Below average
Mile 1 - 9:44 Avg HR 126 Max 130 Mile 2 - 10:07 Avg Hr 124 Max 128 Mile 3 - 10:19 Avg HR 123 Max 130 Lsst - .07
Course: Out and back along the park entrance for some of it and along the top of the dam for a little, then along a side road.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-06-04 9:59 AM

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: Deer Creek Triathlon - Sprint

2007-06-04 10:09 AM
in reply to: #828387

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: RE: Deer Creek Triathlon - Sprint
Congrats on the race! Did your kids enjoy their experience?
2007-06-04 10:15 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Nice job!  I hear ya on the run.  That's where I give up most of my positions too. 
2007-06-04 12:07 PM

User image

Expert
South eastern Ohio

Good race and did you ever find your son??? I figured that you did. Sounds like you had a good time even with the traffic jam getting out of T-1. Do you still have to run up that longish grass hill from the lake to the Trans. area??

Again Congrats.

2007-06-04 3:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

I was wondering about finding the son too? 

Nice job on your race!  You had a pretty decent workout the day before and during the week before.  You had to be a little bit tired from that?????  I hear you on the "ride more" bit because I am there too. 

You put together a nice solid race.  Your swim ranking improves all the time.  Cool!

2007-06-04 3:15 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Ok, I'll admit it.  I was wondering where you found you son too - Asleep in the back seat still???

Way to work your way through the traffic on the course and light shows on the way there.  Maybe you need more time on the bike to improve your Tri Run - come off the bike stronger so your run is more normal  -  just a thought from someone who would rather ride  

2007-06-04 3:16 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

To answer the questions.  My son showed up when he THOUGHT he hear his sister blowing her whistle.  He was fine nothing was going on.  I am not sure what he was doing, playing at the beach then.....?  Lord only knows.

He is fine.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Triathlon - Sprint Rss Feed