General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Macon, Georgia
United States
Georgia Multisports Productions, Inc.
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 19m 38s
Overall Rank = 351/420
Age Group = Male
Age Group Rank = 274/319
Pre-race routine:

Spent the night in Macon with my pop, wishing for the rain to stop. Hit the Olive Garden, which wasn't an original idea, but wasn't too long a wait.
Event warmup:

Up at 4:30, McD's coffee, unpack and triple-check transition area. Wait for wetsuit announcement (legal!), fight with wetsuit, take a quick dip, and try to calm back down. The rain stops just as we're setting up, and I breathe a huge sigh of relief after obsessing about lightning cancellation all night.
Swim
  • 44m 1s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

A great swim for me - It's hard to believe that I managed to be in the top 75%. I appear to have a left hook in my 'straight swim', but it worked for me here. It pushed me way outside the line, which meant I was by myself almost the whole way. Also, this was my first OWS with ear plugs, and I'm ready to buy the company. No dizziness at all. I'm not fast, but I was consistent here, just pausing once about halfway through to get my bearings.
What would you do differently?:

I'm really happy with my swim progress, and feel like I'm getting there. I definitely need more time in open water, to work on swimming straight, but I can't complain about a time like that (for me). The time was actually a little faster, because the mat was after a decent uphill run to T1
Transition 1
  • 04m 42s
Comments:

This was fine, although I couldn't find my sunscreen (some Fergie-head took it). No sunscreen folks either, so I'm fried today. I took in a little fluid, and felt good about the whole thing.

I don't see much need to try to get another minute here, but I think I'll get better at not having to double and triple check everything before leaving.
Bike
  • 3h 33m 36s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.73 mile/hr
Comments:

Despite doing pretty well, I just wasn't feeling it. I couldn't find a spot on the seat that worked. In addition, swimming in the first wave and having a good swim meant that I ended up getting passed the whole day. It's funny, because my time was good (by my standards), but getting passed constantly made me feel like it was worse than it turned out to be. I'm a full mph and a half above IM cutoff pace, so I'm still super pleased. I can't wait to switch to the new bike.

I just need more time in the saddle, more strength for the hills, more flexibility, and better nutrition strategy. Other than that, I'm ready for anything.
Transition 2
  • 03m 27s
Comments:

Again, I don't feel a need to crank this up. The extra thirty seconds was changing into clean and dry socks (glad I did), and some time finishing my last gatorade bottle. I did assume they'd have at least sunscreen spreaders here (was spoiled by NA Sports), so that was dumb of me.

Seemed fine to me. Scratch that - backup sunscreen hiding somewhere (he says, with back on fire).
Run
  • 2h 53m 54s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

The people were very nice. It was hot, though, and no shade at all. I got some bad blisters on my feet from pouring water on my head (dumb - how do I always forget that happens?).

I had major stomach issues on the run, especially in the start. I couldn't raise my pulse without burping and retching (sorry, ladies), and my trisuit was about to pop because my belly was so distended. I didn't know if it was too much or not enough water/salt/food/etc., so just lived with it, walking most of the first 6 miles or so. In a race like this, I'm not devastated by that, because I know these things happen, and I'm glad that even during that time I was walking at a better-than-Kona-cutoff pace. I just need to do some work on my end of bike and beginning of run nutrition strategy.

Finally, around mile 9, I found a great walk/run partner. We alternated cones and mailboxes in, and she saved me from a long, long walk.

I've got to come up with a better nutrition plan that doesn't leave me pregnant and sick on the beginning of the run. I also need to remember that cooling myself doesn't need to mean soaking my shoes and socks and having to limp in on nasty blisters.

This sounds negative, but I would describe the run as 'hard' for me, rather than 'bad' for me. I had a tough day, but I sucked it up, and actually ran right at my overall rank (better looking at just men - proof that women are smarter?)
Post race
Warm down:

I'm normally a huge post-race eater, but, even though there was free beer, my stomach just wasn't having any. So, I packed up pretty quickly, and drove home to kiss Jen before she went back to work. Ordered in a ridiculously big pile of sushi and put my feet up.

I have some blisters, which aren't that bad today. My sunburn is really, really ugly looking on my back and shoulders (second time in two friggin years). It's by far the most painful thing I have going on today. I'm really considering wearing short sleeves in Kona just to avoid this problem.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was a pretty balanced effort for me. I need more 'race day' practice, especially with nutrition and 3-sport pacing. I'm working hard to get it, and to improve my base.

Oh yeah, I improved by more than half an hour from a MUCH easier HIM last year in Florida. I'll take that as an unqualified win.

Event comments:

There was a start delay of about fifteen minutes because the swim course wasn't set up. That surprised me, because the event was really well run other than that.

Also, for a geek like me, it was a shame they weren't selling any logo gear (no new HIM hat for me). They did have Henry Forrest there selling T-shirts. He came in 7th in the (first ever) 1978 Ironman. He had an original 78 t-shirt there with him, too. It was screen printed on the back of an old marine corps t-shirt of his. Everyone had to bring their own shirts to be printed. He was really, really nice, and we had a nice long chat about the spirit of the ironman. He even let me fondle the first ever ironman trophy (John made his first because he had to leave a few days after the race). It really put me in the mood of appreciating the opportunity to move my body, and participate in these fun events.

This is not an easy race, and it is open to traffic. If neither of those scare you off, and you like a smaller event (450), then this is a nice and inexpensive trip to make.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-04-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:01 | 2112 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/319
Overall: 258/420
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot Zenith
Course: Clockwise, almost equilateral triangle.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 04:42
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:33:36 | 56 miles | 15.73 mile/hr
Overall: 362/420
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: I'll attach the elevation below... There just wasn't a lot of 'rest' on this one, and the highway was just as scary as when I did it on my own a few weeks ago. On the plus side, there was only one loose dog, and he was all chased out by the time I saw him.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:53:54 | 13.1 miles | 13m 16s  min/mile
Overall: 349/420
Performance: Below average
Course: Hot. No steep hills, but nothing flat either. Lots of out and back, which I loved because I could see both the fast folks and those struggling behind me (or speeding on their way to pass me easily).
Keeping cool Bad Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-04 11:19 AM

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon

(RNRHalfElevation2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
RNRHalfElevation2.jpg (11KB - 35 downloads)

2007-06-04 11:28 AM
in reply to: #828605

User image

Master
Keller Tx
Subject: RE: Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon
Awesome Job Josh!  Glad you enjoyed the day too!  Kona bound!
2007-06-04 12:24 PM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
I've heard this is a hilly course and it's always hot in Macon in June; congrats on finishing!

Edited by autigers_1998 2007-06-04 12:27 PM
2007-06-04 12:31 PM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
Great job, Josh.  Your race report was great to read - you really have the right attitude out there.  So many people always focus on what everyone else out there was doing and not on what they were doing (myself included!).  You have a great perspective on things and I know you are going to have a blast in Kona.
2007-06-04 2:03 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Congratulations!

Good luck at Kona!
2007-06-04 2:46 PM

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Thanks all!

For those interested in Henry's company, I found it on the web.

This'll give you an idea of the kind of guy he is. First class, indeed:
http://try-a-tri.com/store/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&i...

2007-06-05 8:17 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Way to validate your Kona slot!  ... and, more importantly, take stock with the things that you want to improve along your journey to the greatest race in triathlons.

You've got some miles of training ahead of you before you get to Kona, but the journey is going to be awesome!

2007-06-05 9:25 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Great job, Josh!  And love the humor in your RR's...way to keep it light.  Sounds like you had a great race and hope the foot "boo-boos" heal up quick!
2007-06-05 12:55 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Great job!!!
2007-06-05 4:59 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

An itemized list special for you, JBjunior...

1.  Obviously women are smarter.
2.  You rock.
3.  Amazing swim!
4.  For "not feeling it" on the bike, you sure did crank it out in the heat and the hills.
5.  Yay for sticking it out on the run in less than ideal conditions.
6.  There is no number six.
7.  KONA, baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed