General Discussion Race Reports! » The Accenture Escape From Alcatraz Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The Accenture Escape From Alcatraz Triathlon - TriathlonOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Francisco, California
United States
Tri California Events
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 16m 34s
Overall Rank = 1007/1600
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 170/240
Pre-race routine:

Woke up waaay to early- tried to have coffee but ripped the packet so I had a bottle of Cytomax and a Clif bar for breakfast. Gathered my gear, tried to be warm and rode over to transition. It was really dark in the transition area which made it difficult to think-duh- but I kept it basic and got it done. Headed to the busses to sit, relax and warm up!
Event warmup:

Hard to warmup on the ferry......
Swim
  • 35m 50s
  • 2414 meters
  • 01m 29s / 100 meters
Comments:

They had herded all the 40+ athletes upstairs, so we were all watching the pro's take off. About a minute later, it seemed like mass confusion as everyone started jumping in and going. It dawned on me this wasn't a wait for your wave, it was a go for it ASAP so I headed downstairs, waited to get to the edge and took the plunge! No chance to think about it.......
At this point there was no turning back- the water actually wasnt too cold but it was choppy! It took me about 5 minutes to really feel comfortable, then I had a great swim. Stopped a few times to take in the scenery and San Fran skyline from the water. This was AWESOME!! Loved loved loved the swim
Transition 1
  • 11m 6s
Comments:

After hitting land, there was a quick transition area to pull your wetsuit off and stuff it in a bag, toss on shoes and run about 1 mile to the main transition area. This all went pretty quick, and I had tons of energy after the swim so I felt good
Bike
  • 1h 07m
  • 18 miles
  • 16.12 mile/hr
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Run
  • 1h 20m 12s
  • 8 miles
  • 10m 01s  min/mile
Post race
Warm down:

Hit the finish line, and like Wildflower there was lots of activity and announcing going on. Lots of energy and it made you feeel good as you ran down the chute to the finish line. looked like there was some good food, but I gathered my gear and headed back to the hotel to check out and drive 6 hours home......

Event comments:

I'd highly recommend any event by Tri Events and Alcatraz was not a let down. Organized but mostly just a fantasticcourse on some beautiful coastline- how can you go wrong? Plus the fact you get to swim from Alcatraz!!!

Last updated: 2007-02-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:50 | 2414 meters | 01m 29s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/240
Overall: 0/1600
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca Predatorfull
Course:
Start type: Dive Plus: Shot
Water temp: 55F / 13C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 11:06
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:07:00 | 18 miles | 16.12 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Very cool course with awesome views of the coast. There were some decent climbs but nothing too long or steep. I really cruised on the bike and didn't push as hard as I could've, but I just plain enjoyed the ride instead of hammering and worrying about time. The downhill sections were fun, but sketchy at times due to the terrible roads!!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:20:12 | 08 miles | 10m 01s  min/mile
Course: Long flat section to start, then you head up a minor grade and hit some trails. Trails were not very wide and there was traffic going both ways, so that was a slow section of the course for sure. Fantastic views of the coastline as we ran on the bluffs, then headed down to the beach for about 1/4 mile of deep sand running. After that, it was the sand ladder which is nasty! Walked up that section like everyone else! Overall I enjoyed this run very much and again felt like I just cruised it. My time surprised me because I thought I was much slower.....
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-04 1:55 PM

User image

Expert
lake forest, California
Subject: The Accenture Escape From Alcatraz Triathlon
Another fun race in my prep for IMKY. I really enjoyed this event and will definitely try to get a spot next year as well!

Edited by jbjboc 2007-06-04 1:58 PM

2007-06-04 4:48 PM
in reply to: #828984

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: The Accenture Escape From Alcatraz Triathlon
Sounds like a fun race with an interesting start and an interesting T1! To bad you couldn't hang out and enjoy the after race festivities but that drive home is a beast! Great job!
2007-06-04 6:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bend, OR

Sounds like you a great time and did great!  I heard this was challenging race but the big rumor going around is that I heard most people are afraid to do this race because the amount of shark activity in those waters.  Rumors?? 

2007-06-05 9:40 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Looks like you had a fun race! Congratulations!
2007-06-05 7:26 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Nice race. It was such an amazing experience wasn't it?! I'll be entering the drawing again next year as well!!
2007-06-09 2:52 PM

User image

Expert
Central New York
Solid work for your IM prep. Amazing couurse, eh? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for next year's lottery.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Accenture Escape From Alcatraz Triathlon Rss Feed