General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mooseman Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bristol, New Hampshire
United States
Endorfun Sports
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 00m 57s
Overall Rank = 133/526
Age Group = Clydes
Age Group Rank = 3/28
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30am. Ate two McDonalds breakfast sandwiches, hash brown and coffee (breakfast of clydesdale champions). Carpooled over to the race site with MikeJ. Got everything set up, Used the porto potty, chatted a little with Rob (Huskyboy) and Mike (MikeJ) and made my way to the swim start.
Event warmup:

Jumped into the lake a little bit before the swim start and toook a nice swim to the start. The water was perfect!!
Swim
  • 36m 39s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

My realistic goal was to break 40 min. The swim started fine and I was just tring to hold my own and keep it in a straight line. I got caught with a really good elbow in the eye so I had to re-adjust my goggles. I sighted a guy to my left to about 3/4 out to the first buoy and them I lost him and just about everyone else. I realigned myself with the first turn and hit is pretty well. The swim to the second buoy was bouncy and I felt like I wanted to hurl my McDonalds. My stomach didn't settle down until the start of the 2nd bike loop. Around the second bouy I caught a great draft and stuck with him until he slowed and then caught a yellow cap from the wave behind and rode that almost the rest of the way in. All in all, I very happy with the swim even though it is my worst event, it was by far my fastest swim in any tri.
What would you do differently?:

Not gorge in McDonalds before the race. But other than that, I can't do any better given my skill level in swimming.
Transition 1
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

183 out of 526. The strippers had a tough time getting my suit off and as they tried to get it off my leg cramped a little. But all is good and I appreciated their efforts. Put my shades on but they fogged up so I left them in transition. It was a fairly average and comfortable T1

learn to put my shoe on while on the bike. I probably could save some time taping gels to my bike and what not. But whatever.
Bike
  • 2h 39m 10s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.11 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a great bike for me. I think the course sets up perfectly for my biking strengths which is gradual downhill and sharp uphills that I can power up without burning the legs too much.

Around mile 4 there was a guy with an aero helmet looking at his bike in disgust. I asked if he need help and he did. I stopped and gave him my park tool. I lost about a minute or so helping him but no big deal. I found the tool returned to my transition area when I retrieved my bike.

I rarely got passed and I passed more people than I could count on all sections of the course. This is a big improvement from last year as I was terrible on hills.

My stomach was still rather quezzy during the first loop and I actually felt stronger the second loop. My HR mostly stayed in the 140's with some drops into the 130's. The top of Devils Hill on the second loop I topped out at 156 on the HR monitor.

I was having an absolute blast and felt I raced a very consistent and smart bike leg.

My splits were almost identical. 1:19:04 first loop 1:19:23 second loop

Not much....not help a biker in distress? But if I did that it would just be bad Karma.
Transition 2
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

207 out of 526. put shoes and hat on, ate a banana on the way out

nothing, but there sure is room for improvement
Run
  • 1h 40m 50s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Great run for me. I never ran a half marathon before other that a couple of training runs so I had no clue what to expect. My hamstrings were tweaking a little the whole way so I really couldn't run as hard as I thought I could. I was eating e-caps like halloween candy to try to hold off the muscle cramps and it seemed to work for the most part. I also screwed up my lap timer on my watch so I had no clue what my pace was on the course.

It was great to see Rob (huskyboy) and Mike (MikeJ) on the run. We exhanged words of encouragement each time we passed each other. When I saw Rob the last time he yelled to me that he wanted me to break 5 hours. Also seeing them chasing me down was a great motivator to go faster!!! Man those guys are fast runners!

I also saw OntheRun on the course. He looked great out there.

Well, I negative split the run which I'm completely pumped about and I gave everything that I had. Down the finsihing shoot I heard my kids yelling and I had a real hard time holding in my emotions. The feeling of crossing the finish line was wonderful!

Run Split:

leg 1: 7:57 (pee break)
Leg 2: 7:47
Leg 3: 7:48
Leg 4: 7:28 (I tried to break 5hrs!!!)

Not take a leak at the second aid station? But it felt oh so good!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Cheer Rob and Mike in. Also saw chatted with the BT group and cheered in OntheRun. grabbed a burger, hung out with my kids and collected my maple syrup award for finishing 3rd.

Event comments:

Top notch race!! Great course and great experience.

Going into the race my goal was to break 6 hours. I thought if I could break 5:45 that would be fantastic. I never would have thought that I could run my first 1/2 in 5 hours. Even 24 hours after the race, I am still on cloud nine and just in awe that I could do something like that.

I want to thank Rob and Mike for all those inspires during that mid-winter training to keep me focused and motivated.

I also want to thank my family for supporting me in this crazy hobby that I obsess over way to much.

Last updated: 2007-01-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:39 | 2112 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 19/28
Overall: 325/526
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Upside down horseshoe
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:20
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:39:10 | 56 miles | 21.11 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/28
Overall: 87/526
Wind: None
Course: 2 loops of country roads. Short uphills and granny gear stuff mixed with some great long declines. One long gradual uphill around mile 20 that is just a killer.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:59
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:40:50 | 13.1 miles | 07m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/28
Overall: 155/526
Course: two loops out and back. A couple of memorable hills. Some dirt road and beach areas.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-06-04 2:44 PM

User image

Master
Portland, ME
Subject: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance

2007-06-04 2:49 PM
in reply to: #829106

User image

Expert
Portland
Subject: RE: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance

Hey!  You even beat me @ posting the RR!!  Your posted @ 3:44 and I did mine @ 3:45!!

My hat is off to you man!  You had a great race!  5h is insane, and you really went sub-5 if you account for that stop to help the other guy!  Sub 5 goals for all three of us at Timberman!!

You have made huge improvements over the winter!!  You are going to be tough to beat this year, but now that you have thrown down the gauntlet, I have to try to rise to the challenge!!!

Edited by MikeJ 2007-06-04 2:55 PM
2007-06-04 3:03 PM

User image

Pro
MA
Congrats on the 3rd place, and nice meeting you yesterday.  You are fast!
2007-06-04 6:51 PM

User image

Master
Maine

Just unbelievable Jeff - you should be so proud of what you've accomplished in such a short amount of time.

Like I said yesterday, you are the Normann Stadler of Maine - I guess that would make Mike or me Macca trying to run you down.

Sweet that you got the maple syrup too! 

2007-06-05 2:50 PM

User image

Expert
Welcome to Super Mario World
Awesome job!
2007-06-05 2:59 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Wow great race and awesome splits!

I know I saw you out on the bike course as we were directing you biker to go left at Frosty's but didn't know which one was you.

The front folks were amazing in their technique and how they rode.

Very cool that the bike course fit your strengths I don't think many can say that about the Moose course.

Amazing run time and very cool you beat your goal for swim and drafted smart.

Good karma and helping others go a long ways!

Congrats! 

2007-06-06 8:37 AM

User image

Expert
Rocky Hill, Connecticut

Incredible job, you are Da' Man!!!!!

Adios

Dave 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed