General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Macon, Georgia
United States
Georgia Multisports Productions, Inc.
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 42m 58s
Overall Rank = 96/416
Age Group = m35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Note: Results were not broken up by age group so I did not fill in AG specific information.

Race Day:
Woke up early.. actually, my 4 year old got me up at 3:57. Perfect. I wanted to say good night to her the night before, but she fell asleep too fast as I was getting ready.. So, we hugged, and I got a kiss and she said.. good luck daddy.. and well, the day can't start much better than that. Anyway, I ate a bowl of oatmeal, then left and picked up Amy who was racing the sprint, then headed down to the site in Macon.. about 90 miles away. Got there at 6:00 and the rain from Tropical Storm Berry which began about 20 hours earlier, was just coming to an end. Got all set up and headed down to the beach for my warmup.
Event warmup:

This was a wetsuit legal race, but I did not bring mine. I wanted to do this without one. Figured it would serve me better in the long run. I got in the water and swam out and back a few times. Got out of the water and waited to start.. and waited, and waited some more. They were late in setting up the swim pylons. Race started about 30 minutes late.
Swim
  • 41m 3s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Eh.. my time is not so good. The swim included a long beach exit and a nice run uphill, but that is no excuse. I could and should have done better by a couple of minutes. I passed a lot of people and was passed by a lot of people. The waves started really close together, so there was a lot of overlapping of cap colors. I saw white, dark blue, yellow, and light blue out there. It was not too crowded, but there was two occasions that I had to pull up and almost stop due to the wild legs of others. I didn't want a kick to the face. I did get hit in the goggles, and they dislodged, but nothing too severe. After that it was a couple leg pulls and arm slaps. I did manage a good rhythm. Just need to get faster. The water was really nice. I think they snuck in the whole wetsuit legal thing though. It was 82 just the day before.. not sure a steady rain can drop a big lake by over 4 degrees, but whatever.
What would you do differently?:

Just get faster.
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Good T1 time. No wetsuit so no issues. Went well. Not sure why I always feel like I am forgetting something.

Nothing
Bike
  • 2h 55m 1s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.20 mile/hr
Comments:

Much more difficult than I expected, and I expected difficult. The hills were killer. There was one or two ascents that had to be a mile or more long. Not super steep, just long grinders. These were quad killers. The first half of the course was more difficult than the second half, but don't let that fool you. The whole course was hard. It got hot and windy during the ride as well. I drank all my fluids and flubbed a gatorade bottle handoff. Girl just held it out there and I was going too fast. Roads were mostly dry, but you could tell it had rained. No puddles to avoid, but the spider cracks in the asphalt were still wet.. you know what I'm talking about.

umm.. this is not a course for an 11/23 cassette. I'd move to a 12/25. I can't tell you how often I was passed on hills only to take them back on flats or downhills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

went well. was deliberate here. Finding that in half events, it's better to take just a few seconds longer to compose yourself after the long ride and to get ready for the run ahead. Not too much time.. just a few seconds.

Nothing.
Run
  • 2h 04m 4s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm feeling hot hot hot.. is pretty much the way I would sum this up lyrically. I felt ok strength wise, but the heat was just too much to output any more than I did. I need to acclimate better than I did if I am to do any better in races with heat like that. This was a slow half for me.. how slow? Well, I ran a 1/2 mary with bigger hills in March and did a 1:35. So, yes.. this was slow. Something to improve, so I am ok with that. Pit stops were excellent. Had ice rags, pretzels, endurolites, gatorade, coke at one, great volunteers too.

Acclimate. I was not prepared for that heat like I believed I was. Other than that, train better for the run following the long bike. Longer bricks so to speak.
Post race
Warm down:

Finish line Went right through the med tent, so I decided to stay and recover a bit, and had a very nice lady drape me in ice rags. Sat there for about 10 minutes and regained my composure. After that, ate, and soaked up the atmosphere.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Acclimate, train specifically for this race. I pretty much trained through it, didn't taper the way one should, and did not know enough about the bike course. Would have ridden it a few times in training.

Event comments:

I'm torn. Gamultisports does really good races, but this location on this date is just a little too hot for my likeing, and maybe even my ability. Heat takes me out of the game faster than anything else. Move it to the end of september or even october. I might do it again, but not sure. I highly recommend it though. It's a tough course and will really tell you where you are as an athlete. Overall, this is a good race, maybe one that lives in my head a little too much though.

Last updated: 2007-04-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:03 | 2112 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/416
Performance: Average
Suit: tri suit
Course: Large Triangle. Swam left to right.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:30
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:55:01 | 56 miles | 19.20 mile/hr
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Difficult. Hilly Course. Nice scenery though. I liked it overall.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:04:04 | 13.1 miles | 09m 28s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: rolling hills through hot steam beds.. ok, no steam beds, but you get the picture. Out to mile 4, back to mile (2)5, turn right to mile 7.5 back to mile 8, turn right, out to mile 9, back to mile (8) 9.8... turn right to mile 10.. turn right at 11, go home. Med tent.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-04 4:30 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon

2007-06-04 7:55 PM
in reply to: #829367

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: RE: Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon

It was a tough course ... not only the grinders on the bike course, but also the wind.  Add on top of that a run course with more than one false flat - which ends on an uphill grade - and it can make the last 3 or so miles seem like forever.

Good job on a tough course.

2007-06-04 10:18 PM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Nice job on far less than ideal conditions.  No taper, hot, missed fluid handoff, wind...  Sounds like you had a good race considering all that!
2007-06-05 6:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
I just read the race report and it looks to me like you did great. You don't even mention that this was your second half in 3 weeks! Give yourself some credit! I must admit that my favorite part was the beginning and the good luck wishes from your daughter! Nothing like those half asleep, middle of the night kisses.
2007-06-05 7:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
London
Sounds like you put in a very good effort for a difficult race, mate. Not to mention no taper and your third HIM in how many weeks?! Be proud of your achievement, mate.

So, these volunteers ..... any hotties? what? I'm single ok?! lol
2007-06-05 7:08 AM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Great job at the race in some less than ideal conditions! It's always hot in Macon in June, if they put this race in October I think there would be a lot of happy athletes. Congrats on your finish and good luck with the rest of your season.

2007-06-05 7:22 AM

User image

Lawrenceville, GA
Congratulations on your race. It was a tough course on a hot day - definitely one to be proud of.
2007-06-05 8:02 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Great RR and great job!!
2007-06-05 8:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Great race Ron. Maybe the best ones are the ones that live on in your head..like the best first drink of a cold beer after a long hard hot race Either way you did great, especially keeping that pace on the bike on that course knowing what still was ahead. You continue to show your strength and your spirit through races like this. Keep on keeping on and who knows where you'll be in September.
2007-06-05 8:48 AM

User image

Expert
Looks like you put down a good, solid race.  Averaging a little over 19 mph for a hilly 56 miles and then holding a 9:28 pace for a 13 mile run - great work!!
2007-06-05 9:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Smyrna

Congratulations RT!  2 HIMs in 3 weeks is no small feat and you did great taking both of them on.

You racers were in my thoughts on Sunday as I was taking my 1.5 hour nap.    Seriously - awesome job!  Keep up the terrific work.

2007-06-05 12:31 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Great job - I have always heard this race in brutal, which I guess is part of the mystique. The heat and humidity of the course sounds miserable, you did a great job in not-so-great conditions. As others have said, 2 HIM in 3 weeks is a tough feat in itself - congrats!
2007-06-05 1:33 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Way to go Mister! It's great to see how far you've come in the last couple of years, and I'm really excited to see what you can do on the streets of Madison. I think the two HIMs you've had this year are awesome, and the experiences and miles will only benefit you for IM Moo.  I gotta laugh about how much talk of cassettes is going on around 2063... maybe we should just break down and buy a couple!
2007-06-05 1:46 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Way to go on a tough course! The GCT/Macon double is no small feat, plus ING Georgia and whatever other races you've done! Good luck with the rest of the season.

c
2007-06-05 7:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Forget about the cassette. It's all done with ball bearings nowadays.

Good to see you last weekend. This is a race not to be laughed at and now you are a card carrying member. Let the others relegate to the flatlands. See you in Wisconsin!

Great job.

H.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed