Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania
United States
CGI Racing
Total Time = 6h 25m 17s
Overall Rank = 129/252
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 21/37
Pre-race routine:

Drove over from hotel and set up transition. Had a cinnamon raisin bagel about 30 min prior to start.
Event warmup:

Walked around a bit- no real warmup.
Swim
  • 33m 56s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was great- wave start with about 100/wave. I was able to catch a draft pretty early and follow it most of the way around the course. I may have been working a little harder than I should have but came out feeling OK.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 05m 40s
Comments:

Pretty long uphill run to the transition area. The transition went pretty orderly and smoothly.. no particular problems. Just slow.

Should have had a bottle of water to wash my feet and take a big drink.
Bike
  • 3h 39m 41s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.29 mile/hr
Comments:

I may be training too much in the flats, but this course seemed pretty extraordinarily hilly to me. There were some screaming downhills, which were fun, but also a number of out-of-the-seat climbs. The first 7-8 miles and an out-and-back to a turnaround point were particularly difficult.

Course was on 2-lane roads open to traffic, but the volunteers did a terrific job with traffic control..

I got a late start on nutrition, but it seemed to work out OK. A few Clif Blocks to start out, and then I moved to the Powergels every 30 min. I experimented with the Endurolytes but had a little trouble getting them out of the container. I ended up taking 3-4 during the bike (and a couple during the run) with no GI issues.

I took a stupid tumble at about mile 18 after the bottle hand-off, turning on gravel while trying to work with the bottle. I ended up being off the bike for about 10-15 min while the medics came over to clean my road rash and the bike mechanics came to check the bike. A couple of abrasions to my elbow and knee, but fortunately I was able to continue and finish. Obviously impacted my overall time, though.

I also had some funky issue with my right aerobar- didn't happen until about mile 49, but it kept sagging.

I really need to do some more hill training before IMLP.. this was not a confidence builder. Though I did catch an LP veteran on the run who made me feel better by saying this course is tougher than LP.

Without the fall, pace was almost right on 16 mph. Slow.

Get on the nutrition plan right away.. hydrate more, as well.
Transition 2
  • 03m 17s
Comments:

Another decent transition. I could probably move a bit faster, but it went just fine. Stopped in the port-a-john on the way out.
Run
  • 2h 02m 43s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a reasonably tough run, especially after the tough bike. The main features were a long downhill (and then uphill) out-and-back next to the Beltzville Dam, and then an out-and-back over the dam itself.

The course was dirt and grass paths and gravel, with some larger rocks in places. It wasn't the smoothest course, but it was visually interesting.

I ended up walking the aid stations and drinking a lot to make up for some hydration issues during the bike. I didn't have my easiest, most comfortable run ever, but felt good that I was doing a lot more passing than getting passed (caught some of those folks whizzing by me on the bike).

The finish was right after running through a covered bridge- pretty neat.

I went out a little too fast..
Post race
Warm down:

Stopped by the med tent to get the road rash cleaned and bandaged.. wasn't really hungry so I hopped in the car and drove home. Missed my recovery drink window but eventually found a Dunkin Donuts so it was all good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hill traning on the bike, mainly.. maybe some nutrition/hydration, as well.

Event comments:

Overall the race was very well run, especially considering this is the first year for it.. great volunteers, convenient parking, good aid stations, and- most importantly- plenty of bathrooms! Nice people and a quality event.

I feel reasonably happy with the effort on this B-race, but again, not a huge confidence-builder for IMLP.

Last updated: 2007-06-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:56 | 2112 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/37
Overall: 76/252
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Rectangular
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:40
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:39:41 | 56 miles | 15.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 34/37
Overall: 181/252
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: Very hilly.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:02:43 | 13.1 miles | 09m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/37
Overall: 90/252
Performance: Average
Course: 2-loop course with a couple of out-and-backs.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-04 6:29 PM

User image

Regular
MD
Subject: Black Bear Triathlon

2007-06-04 11:27 PM
in reply to: #829504

User image

Expert
Columbia, MD
Subject: RE: Black Bear Triathlon
I seriously applaud anyone who did the half race on that course, so big congrats to you!  I totally forgot about the covered bridge on the run - I was feeling like I might have pulled a little something in the achilles area at that point (didn't as it turns out) so was distracted and forgot how cool that was.  I hope you have a great race at LP later this year!
2007-06-05 5:21 AM
in reply to: #829830

User image

Veteran
Havertown, PA

MelissaE - 2007-06-05 12:27 AM  I totally forgot about the covered bridge on the run

Me, too!  When I read the race report I was thinking, "Man, I wish we got to go over a covered bridge in the sprint..." then I read your comment and it jogged my memory...we did run over the bridge.  Jeez... I must have been running on fumes at that point.

Fenway - unbelievable effort.  Congrats.  I admire you and your performance.  way to kick it after your crash.  Must've sucked to run 13 with cuts on the knee!

2007-06-06 11:23 AM
in reply to: #829504

User image

Veteran
I also had some funky issue with my right aerobar- didn't happen until about mile 49, but it kept sagging.

I remember seeing you!!! You were descending, and I noticed you were playing with your aero bars and the right one (I think) was so far down. I felt so bad that was happening. I'm glad to see it didn't affect you finishing, though. Nice race.

Also, here is a tip for the endurolyte tabs: buy one of those little plastic change purses that banks, etc, used to give out. They are perfect, because all you have to do is squeeze on the sides and put it up to your mouth. You can easily use your tongue to grab one or two pills and that way you can keep one hand on your bike.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Black Bear Triathlon Rss Feed