General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffalo Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Buffalo Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Buffalo, Minnesota
United States
Buffalo Triathlon
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 16m 55s
Overall Rank = 722/732
Age Group = 50-59
Age Group Rank = 13/13
Pre-race routine:

Had my regular breakfast of cereal, fruit, and yogurt. Stayed with a friend who lives a half hr. away, arrived fairly early, this was my first race so wanted to allow myself plenty of time to prepare.
Event warmup:

Swim
  • 14h 22m
  • 440 yards
  • 3h 15m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

I held back when our wave entered the water, giving myself plenty of room between swimmers. My only goal was to complete the course with a slow, steady, relaxed stroke. I started out with no problems but the water temp. soon got the best of me and I struggled with breathing. It felt like my lungs were paralyzed. When I rounded the bouy I had to call the lifeguard over and hung onto the surfboard for a couple of minutes to rest and gather my composure. I continued on and by the time I had become acclimated to the water it was time to head for the bike. I was in the last wave so fortunately didn't have to deal with faster swimmers coming up behind me.
What would you do differently?:

Although I have been a lap swimmer for many years this was my first OWS, I should have worn a wetsuit and practiced outdoors before the event. I was confident that the swim would be my strongest event, boy was I ever shocked when my face hit that cold water.
Transition 1
  • 05m 44s
Comments:

Was a little dizzy when I came out of the water, just tried to concentrate on remembering everything I needed to do and not to fall over when I jumped on my bike. Was still a little preoccupied with my dissapointing swim, found it hard to focus right away, tried to remember my affirmations and switch to a positive mindset.

Jog to the transition area.
Bike
  • 1h 07m 13s
  • 13 miles
  • 11.60 mile/hr
Comments:

I had flown in for this event and rented a bike from a local bikeshop. I've been training on an old Huffy mountain bike, my rental bike was a beautiful carbon road bike. I felt like Cinderella going to the ball. I loved the bike but wasn't familiar enough with changing the gears to use it to it's full potential. I did the best I could with the quick briefing the guys gave me in the shop. Ended up walking up a couple of the steeper hills. By the time I hit the bike course everyone was well ahead of me and I had almost the whole road to myself. Towards the end of my ride some of the Olympic riders started to pass and urge me on, was very encouraging.

Invest in a better bike, train more, and tackle more hills.
Transition 2
  • 04m 35s
Comments:

By the time I racked up my bike the transition area was completely packed with competitors who had already finished the race and were walking around with barbeque sandwiches. I started to panic as I couldn't even locate the start of the run. The path was completely blocked. I yelled to a volunteer who sent me totally in the wrong direction. I dashed down towards the water only to find I had to run back up the hill and around again to find the starting line.

Learn the exact layout of the course before I started.
Run
  • 45h 03m
  • 3 miles
  • 15h 01m  min/mile
Comments:

I was happy with my time as my goal was to walk/run a 15 min. mile.

Train more, increase my running distance.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a banana and guzzled some iced cold water. Passed on the barbeque as I didn't have much of an appetite. Packed up and walked back to the car in the pouring rain.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of conditioning.

Event comments:

This was my first triathlon, my goal was to complete the course and gain some experience, from that perspective I was very happy. The race was well organised and the volunteers were terrific. I didn't drown, fall, or crash my bike, so even though I was 10th from the bottom I consider that a great accomplishment. Can't wait to sign up next year!

Last updated: 2007-06-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
14:22:00 | 440 yards | 3h 15m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 0/732
Performance: Below average
Suit: no wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:44
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:07:13 | 13 miles | 11.60 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Hilly
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Bad
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:35
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
45:03:00 | 03 miles | 15h 01m  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-06-04 6:50 PM

Subject: Buffalo Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2007-06-04 7:28 PM
in reply to: #829534

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woodbury,
Subject: RE: Buffalo Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Welcome to our crazy little world! So glad you picked a MN race to start you out. I think I speak for all the locals in saying we wish you would have told us you were going to be here so we could meet you. Congratulations on your first race, triathlete!
2007-06-05 5:55 AM
in reply to: #829570

Thanks Johnny Bee! Hope to meet you all next year!
2007-06-05 7:41 AM
in reply to: #829534

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Great job finishing, and I am sure you loved the Road bike!  I'll admit, the T-Area was pretty crowded at times as well.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffalo Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed