General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newton Running Shoe's Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2007-06-04 7:01 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: Newton Running Shoe's
I had read a number of articles regarding Newton shoes in the weeks prior to IMAZ. At the race expo, Newton had set up a demonstartion area where you could take a pair for a run around. I gave them a spin and found them...very interesting. For more info on their history, design, and claimed benefits, visit there web site:
http://newtonrunning.com/

I read a number of different reviews and opinions of some of the very early adopters, ranging from they feel great to those who couldn't run a mile without pain. A local triathlete friend also bought a pair at IMAZ and has been running in them for over a month. He likes them, and ran what for him was an impressive 10K for him at a race we did 2 weeks ago. My concern looking at his shoe's was that they seemed very worn already.

So I decided to hold off buying these as the jury was clearly out, but I made the error of mentioning them to my mom, who promptly bought herself and me a pair. I purchsed the men's Gravity Trainer:
http://www.newtonrunning.com/shoe.php?s=001

So, what do you get for $175 beans! They arrived with a nice carry bag, orange and white laces, a pair of Newton socks, and a nice headsweat cap! I will be going for an hour run tomorrow, so saty tuned!

Edited by bryancd 2007-06-04 7:02 PM

(Set.jpg)

(Shoe.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Set.jpg (56KB - 35 downloads)
Shoe.jpg (55KB - 33 downloads)

2007-06-04 7:26 PM
in reply to: #829543

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Subject: RE: Newton Running Shoe's
Interesting site. Let us know how they work out for you!
2007-06-04 7:40 PM

User image

Regular
Wylie, TX
You need to ask if you can get sponsored by NEWTON.  good luck training for Kona!  Fathers day is very close (if you know what I mean).  PLease let me know what you think?
2007-06-04 9:41 PM

User image

Regular
Eugene, OR
I'm definitely interested in what you think. I've been in contact with them since IMAZ. Unfortunately my size (14) won't be available until next month.
2007-06-05 7:34 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Presentation from someone at the local tri club last night who is very happy with his from an injury prevention standpoint.  He was not able to convince most of us heel strikers that the shoe would help unless we modified our stride to a midfoot impact.
2007-06-05 7:52 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Bryan, I kow you had to have read the umptine million posts on ST about them.  My question is, did you buy them to test the hype or because you feel you have a foot-strike issue?

I've thought about them as well even though I have a nice foot-strike.  But for the cost of 3 pairs of my regular training shoe I just can't see the cost to benefit ratio working out especially since I tend not to have foot/leg issues.  And I go through at least 4 or 5 pairs of shoes in a year with my typical mileage.  That's some big cash out if I was running Newtons!

2007-06-05 8:27 AM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
I haven't tried them yet myself but a couple things to consider  1) they claim to have a much longer life compared to traditional running shoes  2) the 2 primary benefits are supposed to be that they help develop a proper foot strike (mid-foot or fore-foot) and they return 15-25% more energy compared to traditional running shoes.  That additional energy return is what has me very interested.  I've already got a fairly efficient foot strike and short quick stride but I wouldn't complain if I could get a bit more "return" out of the shoe with every step.  The only reason I haven't tried a pair of these yet is because I can't try a set on locally for proper sizing.  I'll probably order a size 10.5 and take a chance.
2007-06-05 8:32 AM
in reply to: #830097

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

TH3_FRB - 2007-06-05 8:27 AM I haven't tried them yet myself but a couple things to consider  1) they claim to have a much longer life compared to traditional running shoes 

I haven't seen this claim, as a matter of fact the page linked in the OP has this statement:

Replace your Newton's every 300 to 400 miles for maximum protection and performance.

I get 300-500 miles out of "traditional running shoes ."

2007-06-05 8:36 AM

User image

Giver
I'm a mid-forefoot striker, so I like the concept of increased cushioning in this area. I'm just waiting for my current shoes to tank before I pull the plug and give them a shot.
2007-06-05 8:42 AM
in reply to: #830097

User image

Master
Colorado

TH3_FRB - 2007-06-05 9:27 AM I haven't tried them yet myself but a couple things to consider  1) they claim to have a much longer life compared to traditional running shoes  2) the 2 primary benefits are supposed to be that they help develop a proper foot strike (mid-foot or fore-foot) and they return 15-25% more energy compared to traditional running shoes.  That additional energy return is what has me very interested.  I've already got a fairly efficient foot strike and short quick stride but I wouldn't complain if I could get a bit more "return" out of the shoe with every step.  The only reason I haven't tried a pair of these yet is because I can't try a set on locally for proper sizing.  I'll probably order a size 10.5 and take a chance.

Joel --

I had a friend size a pair at an expo, receive them, run in them for a month, realized that she needed a bigger pair, and returned them. They sent her the correct size free of charge, after a month of use on the first pair. Just FYI -- you won't be out money if you size it wrong.

2007-06-05 8:50 AM
in reply to: #830018

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Daremo - 2007-06-05 7:52 AM

Bryan, I kow you had to have read the umptine million posts on ST about them.  My question is, did you buy them to test the hype or because you feel you have a foot-strike issue?

I've thought about them as well even though I have a nice foot-strike.  But for the cost of 3 pairs of my regular training shoe I just can't see the cost to benefit ratio working out especially since I tend not to have foot/leg issues.  And I go through at least 4 or 5 pairs of shoes in a year with my typical mileage.  That's some big cash out if I was running Newtons!

You bet I read all the ST stuff, Rick! You and I sound very similar: I naturally strike mid foot and have no leg or foot issues. I run very nuetral. Over the past 6 months, I have been really working on increasing my cadence and perfecting my form. I still feel, especially as I fatigue, I loose some of that and I will be curious to see if the Newton mechanics help keep me in the right position. Also, there claims of active return are interesting, but we'll see.
If I find no difference between these and my Nike Haywards, I will certainly NOT spend the extra $. They are going to need to really impress me to be long trem keepers.
And you know I will give them a very proper workout and vetting! I won't suffer bad equiptment lightly, so they better be ready for some hard, fast mileage.

2007-06-05 8:53 AM
in reply to: #830107

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
the bear - 2007-06-05 8:32 AM

TH3_FRB - 2007-06-05 8:27 AM I haven't tried them yet myself but a couple things to consider  1) they claim to have a much longer life compared to traditional running shoes 

I haven't seen this claim, as a matter of fact the page linked in the OP has this statement:

Replace your Newton's every 300 to 400 miles for maximum protection and performance.

I get 300-500 miles out of "traditional running shoes ."

Yeah, from my anectodale evidence of my buddy's pair, they seem to wear quickly. There's not a lot to them, they are very light.
2007-06-05 9:48 AM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Forgot which interview I read that in but they said that the elastic memberane  holds up much better over time compared to the foam used in traditional running shoes.  That has nothing to do with how the upper and soles wear but the structural properties of the shoe are supposed to be fairly durable.  As for the 300-400 mile thing, I think that's like Jiffy Lube telling you to change your oil every 3000 miles.
2007-06-05 9:54 AM
in reply to: #830129

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA

Did they pay shipping both ways too?  At $155  it would burn me a bit to spend another $10 for extra shipping considering they aren't providing me an opportunity to be fit for size locally.

Chippy - 2007-06-05 9:42 AM

I had a friend size a pair at an expo, receive them, run in them for a month, realized that she needed a bigger pair, and returned them. They sent her the correct size free of charge, after a month of use on the first pair. Just FYI -- you won't be out money if you size it wrong.

2007-06-05 10:09 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Thanks for the info. Bryan!

I am still going to think about them and read some of the reviews and first-hand experiences before I pull the trigger.  I'm pretty sure I'm not going to do it before IMFL, so if I go for it, it will be after the race in my "off" season before ramping it up for IMLP '08.

Are you planning on running these in Kona?  I know they have a race shoe ... not sure if that is what you got?

2007-06-05 10:13 AM
in reply to: #830260

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

TH3_FRB - 2007-06-05 9:48 AM Forgot which interview I read that in but they said that the elastic memberane  holds up much better over time compared to the foam used in traditional running shoes.  That has nothing to do with how the upper and soles wear but the structural properties of the shoe are supposed to be fairly durable.  As for the 300-400 mile thing, I think that's like Jiffy Lube telling you to change your oil every 3000 miles.

I don't think Jiffy Lube makes that recommendation while simultaneously claiming their oil lasts longer than the competition.

Seriously, if you can document that claim I'd like to see it, as the cost combined with realtively short recommended life makes even a trial purchase prohibitive for me.

2007-06-05 10:32 AM
in reply to: #830298

User image

Master
Colorado
Daremo - 2007-06-05 11:09 AM

Thanks for the info. Bryan!

I am still going to think about them and read some of the reviews and first-hand experiences before I pull the trigger.  I'm pretty sure I'm not going to do it before IMFL, so if I go for it, it will be after the race in my "off" season before ramping it up for IMLP '08.

That is a smart idea -- the anecdotal stories I have heard all involve extremely painful calves that need recovery time -- not something I'd want to deal with while in the thick of the season.

2007-06-05 10:40 AM
in reply to: #830309

User image

Elite
San Diego

FWIW, I bought a pair at IMAZ. I am a classic heel striker as well. I also bought the "Evolution Running" DVD at around the same time. I watched the DVD and tried running more mid foot/ ball of the foot with my new shoes. At first, I had a strain to my calf, but I think that had more to do with my inflexibility than the new shoes.

After running in them for 2 months now, the jury is still out. On one hand, They don't feel any different than my old Brooks. On the other hand, I haven't had one single issue with my knees, which is always an issue towards the end of the life of my shoes. I don't know if my lack of pain is a direct result of the new running style or shoes. When I am done with these shoes, I will go back to my Brooks. I should have enough time to figure out if my lack of pain is due to the shoes or the style, before my next race in October.

That was kind of a long winded way to say "I don't know if they are worth it"

2007-06-05 10:49 AM
in reply to: #830377

User image

Master
Colorado
madcow - 2007-06-05 11:40 AM

FWIW, I bought a pair at IMAZ. I am a classic heel striker as well. I also bought the "Evolution Running" DVD at around the same time. I watched the DVD and tried running more mid foot/ ball of the foot with my new shoes. At first, I had a strain to my calf, but I think that had more to do with my inflexibility than the new shoes.

After running in them for 2 months now, the jury is still out. On one hand, They don't feel any different than my old Brooks. On the other hand, I haven't had one single issue with my knees, which is always an issue towards the end of the life of my shoes. I don't know if my lack of pain is a direct result of the new running style or shoes. When I am done with these shoes, I will go back to my Brooks. I should have enough time to figure out if my lack of pain is due to the shoes or the style, before my next race in October.

That was kind of a long winded way to say "I don't know if they are worth it"

But you LOOK cool, and everyone knows that's the most important part

2007-06-05 10:57 AM

User image

Elite
Reston VA

I have a pair of the shoes and definately think that they help me run with better form. I did have a problem with "hot spots" on the bottom of my feet.  I emailed Newton and got a call from Danny Abshire (the owner I believe) and we talked for over 40 minutes about how to get rid of the hot spots and my running technique in general.

I don't wear the shoes with every run - only my shorter runs because even with the advice I still have the hotspots where the bottom of my feet feel like they are on fire after 6 miles or so. I occasionally wear them for the first 2-3 miles of my long runs and I notice an improved form and my running feels better (with a faster cadence) for the rest of the run in my Sauconys.

The customer service is pretty much the best out there. I really can't see the owner of Saucony or Nike calling you personally to fix your specific problems. But then again, Newton needs repeat customers to stay viable as a company.

I think I would have done better getting them at an expo because Danny says I ordered the wrong pair and perhaps the wrong size. Part of the problem with only online ordering.

Edited by shelly123 2007-06-05 11:02 AM
2007-06-05 11:04 AM

User image

Elite
Reston VA
Oh yeah - the headsweats hat that I got is the brightest yellow you will ever see. Not real pretty but great for keeping you safe from cars!

2007-06-05 11:25 AM

Veteran
I dont have these shoes, however when i changed my running technique(from heel to mid/fore foot strike) my calves hurt, were tight and strained for a bit. So that may have someting to do with the shoes if you were previously a heel-striker. but it didnt take too long for my calves to be accustomed to the new technique.

Travis
2007-06-05 11:59 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
INITIAL RUN REVIEW

"Preceptions vs. Realities"

Run Data- 1:00:00, 8.38 miles, 7:08 pace, 148HR
My run this morning in the Newtons was on a rec path along a canal her near my office. It is very flat, with a few short, steep up and downs into pedestrian tunnels to cross under a few roads. My heart rate is at the high end of my aerobic training zone, so from an effort standpoint, this is my normal exertion for a 60min run.

The first 2 miles in the Newtons felt very different, but not as I had expected. They felt much less cushioned than my Nike Haywards and somewhat stiff and flat. I did not feel any sense of forward assist from the lug system in the forefoot, although I'm not sure why I thought I would. I concentrated on maintaining a high 80-90 cadence and ran without my iPod so I could listen to my feet. When I run, I always try and land lightly and immediately scrap my foot back propelling me forward. If I can hear that slight scraping sound, I know I am imparting momentun forward and not wasting it by bouncing up. As I am not a heel striker by nature, so the running on my toe's concept is something I always try and do, so again the shoe's positioning wasn't noticeabley different. My initial perception was that I wasn't running as fast as I thought.

As the run progressed and I warmed up and lossened up, things began to change. First was when I came to the first pedestrian underpass. These shoes feel great running down hill. Suddenly the shoe geometry really kicked in for me and keeping my stride short, your turnover increases and you can really fly down a hill with less pounding caused by making the mistake of overstriding the downhills. Then when it came time to climb back up to the path.....OH MY GOD! These shoe's are a revolution in hill climbing! It has never felt so effortless climbing. Suddenly I was really up on my toes and I absolutley flew up the hill. Now, I run hills all the time and consider myself a strong hill climber but this felt profoundly different in a very good way.

As I came into the last 2 miles, I began to be able to put it all together. What I preceived as flat and less cushioned was actually me completely eliminating any bounce in my stride. Sometimes I think I can fool myself into thinking I'm moving quickly when I start to get a little bouncey when in reality, I'm wasting time and energy moving up and down and not forward. The shoes were forcing me to push myself forward with every step. They felt very efficient in providing me with the correct mechanics to maintain good form and running economy. Whereas my initial perception was that I didn't feel that much different, the reality was that I was running very differently. Whereas before I porbably only held perfect form when I though about it, now it seemed I was doing it without the same mental effort and not slipping into old, bad habits.

Post run, my legs didn't feel as fatigued from the normal pounding of a good hard run. Again, I attribute this to the shoes preventing me from engaging in the poor form of bouncing too much. My quads and calves feel a little more tired as they have been engaged in a different way, but nothing very noticeable. I will be very curious to get out and run a more varied elevation run.

So my first impression is very favorable. $175 worth of favorable? More testing will tell. I will continue to update this thread, so keep an eye on it!
2007-06-05 2:44 PM
in reply to: #830309

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA

Okay, found the article.  So they didn't actually claim that the shoes last longer, but they do say that they maintain their energy return properties "throughout their lifespan".  I guess I'm interpreting that to mean that these shoes should last longer compared to shoes that use the traditional foam for support and structure.  Here's the quote from Inside Triathlon...

IT: When you say "energy return" just what are we talking about?

DA: Most standard foam running shoes have an energy return on the average of 42%. We have proven our shoes to return 58%. Also, foam will break down over time, thus causing the shoe to lose its liveliness throughout its life; the Newton shoes will retain their energy return throughout their lifespan.

A good example is one of our athletes, Natascha Badmann. Natascha has seen close to a three minute improvement over runs of 30 minute time intervals. We have also seen our test runners covering close to 3% more distance in our shoe at an equivalent heart rate to that done in a standard shoe.

http://www.insidetri.com/portal/news/news.asp?item=108087

the bear - 2007-06-05 11:13 AM

I don't think Jiffy Lube makes that recommendation while simultaneously claiming their oil lasts longer than the competition.

Seriously, if you can document that claim I'd like to see it, as the cost combined with realtively short recommended life makes even a trial purchase prohibitive for me.

2007-06-05 3:01 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
If people want a cheap solution to improve their running stride and economy they should just run MORE to improve cadence, aerobic base and ultimately speed.

That or you can join the madness of hundreds of Tri-geeks, spend $175.00 and exhibit your same stride to look at least pretty with flashy expensive shoes

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newton Running Shoe's Rss Feed  

of 4