General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bristol, New Hampshire
United States
Endorfun Sports
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 12m 8s
Overall Rank = 414/650
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 31/
Pre-race routine:

Drove up Friday with Maddie and Mike. Stopped by site and pick-up packet. Number 379. Nice shirt. pjostack was hanging at the BT booth. She gave me some advice on the course and took me to the lake and around. Got situated in the "bunk house". Poor choice but whatever. Had dinner with Ron, Mike and the rest of the gang at the pub. Returned to bunk. Got things situated for the morning. Up at 5:30. Had a banana and boost and water. Rested some more. 6:15 left for race. Set up transition, got all my porta pottie stops taken care of. They bagged piped us to the start. I hate bagpipes.
Event warmup:

Swam to start about 500yds or so.
Swim
  • 22m 54s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

All of sudden I found myself up front and dead center. Thought oh great right in the thick of things. Headed out well. Guy over on my left and right. Sprinted hard so as not to be run over. No sweat. My swimming was good. Soon had someone drafting off me for the entire first leg. A tap on the toes every third stroke or so. No big deal. Just means I'm faster then him. Passed lot of the wave ahead. Caught up with some of the first wave before turn. Felt bad for some of those struggling to move in the water. The bottom came up fast at the finished. THEY HAD STRIPPERS. No wetsuit strippers. Made sure to hold onto my shorts. The kids did a good job. Didn't wear my jersey. No chaffing, NICE.
What would you do differently?:

Not much!
Transition 1
  • 03m 50s
Comments:

Well me and the bike were having some words to say the least. For some reason whether it be trail up in the rain or dropped on the ground "Torrie" and I were not in sync. I let her sleep inside near me, what gives?
Wet suit off with shorts still on-CHECK
Correct ilse-CHECK
Towel dry quickly-CHECK
Jersy on-arm stuck
Socks on-had to wipe the pine debris off feet.
Glasses and helmet on-CHECK
Gloves-CHECK
Unrack bike-CHECK
Run to exit-OH NO! Check to the left full of guys. TO the right free running. Hit the astro truff and out go the feet. Down goes the bike, Down goes Dexter. Nice twist of the ankle and a few gear gouges. Volunteer helps me up, I give the towel that is still over shoulder, you know like when you do the dishes. Ankle still functioning I comment I should slow down a little to get my feet under me. She agrees. Hit the mount line and can I clip in NOOOOO!!!!!!!!! What a dummy. Finally clip and get in bike. Feel sorrfor anyone behind me as I was weaving all over the road. Sorry people.

Get co-ordinated. I tell people I'm a triathlete because there is only a few movements repeated thousands of times. Guess I have to start practicing transitions more right after training.
Bike
  • 1h 35m 8s
  • 27.34 miles
  • 17.24 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out with a poor clip in but got better for a while. I can't manage Sport beans on the bike. I bet the skunks will enjoy them. More on the road then the mouth. I gave up. Being fast on the swim gets you set up to be passed non-stopped. I understand it and it doesn't really bother me until, I have to pass someone. Pass BT aide station and get a big cheer!! Every race should have one. You guys were great!!

THE BIG FAT DUM BA$TARD. I got to Devil's Hill waved to the nice lady dressed in RED head to foot waving some big dinner fork and sporting a nice tail. OK it's steep but not long. Being slower then the rest of the people around I stick to the right. Half way up the hill I'm behind a guy walking his bike. OK I can pass him. As I turn to look if I can get around safely he decides to stop and try to get on his bike in the middle of the HILL!! CRASH!! All of sudden I'm looking to hit the ground as soft as possible without hurting him to bad. THE STUPID IDIOT!!!!!!!!!! As I lie ther trying to undo my clip that is under the bike. He takes off. Nice A$$HO(E. Just then I hear oops as some guy misses me as I sit up just in time. Decide after one attempt to walk to the crest and get on. If I could have caught the guy I would have wrung his neck, or at least kick him sideways.

The rest of the bike was good. Except I can't get into my bike gear in the back and stay there. Ugh! Nice rolling hilss and good amount of volunteers. Grab water at the aide station. Nice to have a bottle to grab on the fly. Fuel and water well. Some nasty ruts and potholes. miss most. Need to have the little flask of gel easier for me to handle. Nice to see the finish and dismount well and half jog in. Need ne pedals soon.

Not crash!! Stupid %&#@($%(*@&$ *#(@%&

Transition 2
  • 04m 39s
Comments:

Took my time. I really wasn't looking to be first. Decided to sit on someones bucket and put new socks on and rest a moment. May have been a bad move as looking back my legs kinda tighten up hard.

Move a little faster though to keep the blood flowing
Run
  • 1h 05m 40s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Ahhh I liked it kinda. My legs would not loosen up. Maybe to long in transition standing around. You come out onto the beach. Boy that sand is hard to run in on stiff legs. FOr the fist time in a race I walked. It really felt OK. Walked ran a little here and there. Then I heard the Cowbells of the BT aide station. I began to run again. As I was passing by I Mike say hey he's a BTer and the cheer went up. Got all the water and Gatorade I wanted. Gave some inspiration for a while. Then a little walk. At the top of the hill just before the turn around was another cheering squad. It's great people come out to cheer you on. Turn around I go. Back to the BT station which I run to again and get a welcome kick in the pants. At 2 miles left I picked up the pace and think of Dan and how told I have to run today. I bring it home and feel good.

Have my family at the finish line. Little disappointing not to see Yoshi and Will. Not run a race two night before.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around wrap a cold towel around neck. Banana and water. Head back to the booth and try to decide how long it will be before I have to pee. Drink more. Get my bike and something to eat. Hang out till 3:00 after calling Yoshi and Will. Stand in the cold legs to soothe my aches. Headed back to stay one more night. Got pizza and a beer. Aches and pains were little. The ankle hurts a little.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stiff legs on the run and the CRASH!

Event comments:

Nothing was better then being there with Mike and Madie. Ron and Carol too! If Y and Will were here even better. I enjoyed meeting people I have chatted with for so long. Pat was like the first person to inspire me even if it was to yell at me for telling her to get some sleep. I must of met a dozen or more BTer's, all great people. It was the best aide station ever!
The race is put togather well and the volunteers and staff are great. Wish there was a little more room at the finish line as it is crowded in the woods. The lake is beautiful and scenery on the courses are awesome. The "bunk house" left a little to be desired and isn't what it is cracked up to be. We had fun at the pub.

Last updated: 2006-11-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:54 | 1640 yards | 01m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/
Overall: 31/650
Performance: Good
Suit: X-terra NEW wetsuit
Course: Triangle. Two legs. CCW.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:50
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:35:08 | 27.34 miles | 17.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 468/650
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Clock around lake. Rolling hills. Nothing to long but devil's hill is called the wall for a reason.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: ?
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:39
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:05:40 | 06.21 miles | 10m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 532/650
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back part of the bike course. Rolling hills with one or two longer grades.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %some
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-06-04 9:38 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance

2007-06-04 9:57 PM
in reply to: #829747

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance

Now we are the 2 BT bike-crashers of Mooseman. 

Nice job, and great speed on the bike despite having difficulties at the start and fell on Devil.  Super swim pace, too.

2007-06-05 5:32 AM

User image

Master
Maine

Good job out there - too bad about the dumba$$ on the hill.

Edited by huskyboy 2007-06-05 5:32 AM
2007-06-05 7:41 AM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

Talk about overcoming obsticles!! Nice job Dudley! I hope the ankle's okay. Looks like the training has been going well. Very nice bike avg despite the on the hill!

Great report! Congrats!!

2007-06-05 8:18 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

An excellent weekend Dud. Good job on the swim, and you looked strong on the run when I saw you.

We'll work on the bike handling skills over the summer. Cool

2007-06-05 9:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Nice race dex!  Too bad about the a$$ on the hill, but otherwise sounds like a great time! 

2007-06-05 12:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA

You did so great!! Look at that swim time!...no suprise though as you're always really fast. 

I think it's the people who are unclipping and walking devil hill that make it dangerous.

You looked strong on the run when I saw you...I was jealous because you were almost done!

It was fun meeting you and the rest of the NY/Ohio BT people. I hope we can do it again sometime.  I never got to have a beer with you on Saturday.

2007-06-05 1:19 PM
in reply to: #830658

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Great job! It sounds like you actually enjoyed it despite the crashes!
2007-06-05 4:09 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Dudley, fantastic job overcoming adversity! You have much to be proud of!
2007-06-05 6:30 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Wow, you certainly had an interesting race!  Great swim as usual and despite the challenges you still had a great bike and run!  Sounds like you had a great time!
2007-06-05 10:01 PM

User image

Champion
MA

It was great to meet you this weekend....and great race!

Bummer about the bike spill on the Devil Hill.

You are so fast in the water...I need some help there...you were almost 2x as fast as me.

All the cheering was so motivating.

Congrats and hope to see you again soon at another tri~ 

2007-06-07 7:08 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
AAARRRRGGGHHH what was that guy THINKING?? Sorry you crashed-way to take it in stride tho. Yoshi & Will I am sure wrer thinkng of you- glad the BTers were out in force to support you.Wish I made it up this time -would have loved to meet you- You ran a good race..Congrats!
2007-06-14 7:40 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
sorry to hear about the crash. Looks like you had a great race anyway. BTW, how is it that I  do not remember all the road problems that you and Max saw? I must realy be used to the crappy roads from my house to work
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance Rss Feed