General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why I hate the wetsuit......(LONG) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-17 8:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Norfolk, VA
Subject: Why I hate the wetsuit......(LONG)
I hate wetsuits. I hate wetsuits so much that I won't even compete in a tri if the water is too cold to go without. I will NEVER put on another wetsuit for as long as I live.
Last year, I wanted to get scuba certified...GREAT!! That should be fun! I LOVE the water! So, I drove the 2 1/2 hours to the 'qualifying' lake for my final certification. I had a rented wetsuit... I was kind of excited. (BTW...Those a*holes could have ATLEAST told me that it's customary to wear a bathing suit under your wetsuit!!) So, I watch others while I'm putting mine on. Struggle, Struggle, Struggle...nothing... (try getting into the water)...well, I can't... I have no clothes to wear under it...so it's in this little tiny cubicle or it's nothing. (not that I mind being bare in front of others....but I'm sure others would be offended!) FINALLY, after about an hour...(which by the way..I took too long so they started without me.. I had to wait 3 hours until the instructor came back to take the 2nd group out.... I HATE WETSUITS) I got the wetsuit on. The entire time I was under water, it was uncomforable... I couldn't breathe....I was still cold...and all I could think about was how much I wanted it OFF...(even though I knew it was gonna hurt to take it off....)
Well, I got certified. When I'll EVER use it, who knows...(I'm thinking caribbean... someplace warm and exotic where I don't need a wetsuit). I'm not wearing a wetsuit EVER. Not for Scuba...and not for Triathlon.... Triathlon, I love you...but we're gonna need to settle on a warmer place....because I HATE WETSUITS!

Ok, done. Thanks!

2004-09-17 8:20 AM
in reply to: #62947

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: Why I hate the wetsuit......(LONG)
First, let me congratulate you on getting your OW card! That is excellent. Next, let me tell you that I'm sorry to hear about your terrible experience with the wetsuit. Those 'a$$holes' as you call them certainly didn't do you any favors. I'm surprised that if you needed a wetsuit for your checkout dives, that they didn't do a 'wetsuit night' at the pool during your last confined water session. They should have covered fit, donning, doffing and weighting. Butt monkeys indeed! A properly fitting wetsuit can be a true joy to put on and isn't really a hassle to take off. Though it would totally kill your T1 in a tri, wearing a lube suit (spandex/lycra jumpsuit) under your wetsuit makes a big difference in comfort and ease of donning and doffing for diving. Given everything else, I'm sure that they took the time to properly fit you with a hood and gloves - NOT! There are few things worse than wearing an ill fitting hood. They make it hard to breathe, hard for blood to get to your brain and they can even make your jaw hurt for days afterward.

I was also impressed to see that the instructors had the whole "team" concept down too. WTF would they not offer to help or at least wait for your?? That's totally unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. Tell ya' what. Since your not that far from me, if you ever decide that you want to try the whole wetsuit scuba thing again, let me know. You are more than welcome to dive with Wifey and I. If you are interested in a good scuba board (not quite as friendly as this place, but pretty darned close), www.scubaboard.com is my fav. I post under the same screen name there.

-Frank (PADI DM 187229)
2004-09-17 8:34 AM
in reply to: #62953

User image

Veteran
Norfolk, VA
Thanks so much for your encouragement!! I'm almost willing to try it again b/c I really like saying the word 'lube suit'!!!
It's almost as fun to say as 'fartlek'! hahahahehehehhee.
I'll let you know next time I'm in PA (usually near Allentown or the Pocanos...)
Thanks!
2004-09-17 8:50 AM
in reply to: #62964

User image

Expert
Northern VA
I'll ask before Bear does - are there pictures to help us better understand how to don a wetsuit with nothing on underneath??? 
2004-09-17 8:55 AM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

Now now, boys, settle down!!

Sorry about the wetsuit experience.  Tri wetsuits are way way more comfy than other types, so don't be afraid to try some out at least.  I hate my canoeing wetsuit (rubber underwear esentially) but love my full tri suit...I can put it on!  I can move in it!! I can take it off!! If you find the right one, it makes all of the difference.

Good luck with it!!

Jen

2004-09-17 9:11 AM
in reply to: #62964

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Yellowk8t - 2004-09-17 8:34 AM
I'll let you know next time I'm in PA (usually near Allentown or the Pocanos...)

There's a really nice training quarry close to Allentown that Wifey and I go to with our friends, so let me know!

-Frank

2004-09-17 10:27 AM

User image

Expert
Olney, MD
2004-09-17 2:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greer, South Carolina
If you get a wetsuit that is properly sized, they aren't usually that bad to get off. The only problem with renting a wetsuit is that everyone pees in their wetsuit. It is well worth the investment to have your own wetsuit.

By the way, sometimes when I go to the local lake to do a few dives, I really enjoy watching people struggle to get out of their wetsuits and maintain their modesty. I guess divers have a strange sense of entertainment.
2004-09-17 2:57 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
You need to make peace with the wetsuit.  Let the wetsuit be your friend......
2004-09-18 1:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pinoy city
did you try wearing it with bodyglide?
2004-09-18 11:31 PM
in reply to: #63244

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Great Pacific Northwest

BigBoy - 2004-09-17 11:19 AM If The only problem with renting a wetsuit is that everyone pees in their wetsuit. 

Ewwww...way more than I ever needed to know or consider!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why I hate the wetsuit......(LONG) Rss Feed