General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Plan Advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-05 8:50 AM

Expert
Miller Place, Long Island
Subject: Training Plan Advice
Hello everyone.

I have a few questions regarding my training for the summer. My schedule is a little wacky but here it is:

I am doing an Olympic race (my second of this distance and my first race this season) this Saturday. I will follow that race by taking a week to relax a bit as I will be moving that week.

I have a sprint race in mid July (15th) and then I have nothing really planned for quite some time... But herein lies my problem: I will be doing my first ever HIM on September 30th (MightyMan Montauk) and then I am doing my first marathon the first week in November (NYC).

How the heck am I going to plan out my training for this? I am going to have to kind of train for a marathon at the same time as my HIM...

Keep in mind that I am not planning on dedicating too much time to heavy training leading up to my sprint race in mid july because I will be spending a lot of time getting settled into our new house. I will do some real heavy-duty training from mid July through August and September up to the HIM. Oh and the HIM is vert important to me so that is my "A" race and the marathon is important but just a step below the HIM sort of like my "Aa" race... Am I making any sense?????

Any help/advice will help a great deal. What should my normal weeks look like in the ten weeks or so between the sprint and the HIM? and the month between the HIM and the marathon?

Edited by mscotthall 2007-06-05 8:52 AM

2007-06-05 10:22 AM
in reply to: #830139

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Training Plan Advice

It's going to be very tough to train for those both as "A"-type races.  You have only a month of training left after the HIM and should get your last 20-mile run done 2 weeks afterwards--already time to start tapering for the marathon.  To get to that point, you're going to need several long runs prior to your HIM but you'll want to limit them in the 2 weeks prior as you taper for that race.

My suggestion is to begin building your running up SOON.  After this weekend, start running at a level you are comfortable with and begin building.  I'd suggest checking out a begginner marathon plan (like these) and start at a week that looks doable given your current training (e.g., if you're currently running @20mi/wk and a long run @10, you could start at week 5).  Fit swimming & biking in when you can prior to mid-July (but don't slack on these too much because you're going to want to be ready to start preping for your HIM at that point).

In mid-July, pick up with the last 10-weeks of a HIM plan.  But you're going to want to extend the long run (use the marathon plans as a guide) and may want to maintain 4 runs during most weeks so you'll have to be flexible.  Remember you're probably going to have to cut back running in the 2 weeks prior and one week after the HIM (taper/recovery).

You don't have as much time as you think, so you may have to reconsider your goals if you find it tough to get in the necessary training.

Good luck.

2007-06-05 10:31 AM
in reply to: #830139

Expert
Miller Place, Long Island
As a side note to my original message... I spent a great deal of time this late winter/early spring building base. I actually have a 22 mile run under my belt which I ran at the end of April. Does that base help me at all???
2007-06-05 10:37 AM
in reply to: #830347

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

mscotthall - 2007-06-05 10:31 AM As a side note to my original message... I spent a great deal of time this late winter/early spring building base. I actually have a 22 mile run under my belt which I ran at the end of April. Does that base help me at all???

Sure.  If you've been maintaining some decent weekly mileage, it means you can start deeper into the marathon plan and get more running on your legs before the HIM training begins to interfere.  You're still going to want to get some of the 20 and near-20 mile runs during the last couple months, so still some juggling to do on your part.  It would be easier if you had more like 2 months bewteen the HIM and marathon, but it is what it is.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Plan Advice Rss Feed