General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mooseman Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bristol, New Hampshire
United States
Endorfun Sports
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 27m 56s
Overall Rank = 262/526
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 41/67
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3am to eat and have my coffee. Had 2 PBJ's on ww and an Ensure, Iced Coffee. Then just chilled on the couch until 4:15a then began to get ready to head up to the park. Got to transition and got body marked and transition set up. Kind of odd having a 1/2IM be my first race of the year, usually I have a sprint to "get my feet wet" but not this year.
Event warmup:

Got wetsuit on and then headed down to the beach to "warm up" my wetsuit and swim down to the start for warmup. Then just hung around chatting w/ others and trying to ignore the usual pre race jitters.

One thing I was noticing from when I got up was how tight my hamstrings felt. I think standing for 4 hours at the aid station took a toll on me w/o me realizing it.
Swim
  • 32m 35s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Great swim, drafted well and felt really comfortable the whole time. Had a few twinges of cramps in my calves and hamstrings on the way back in but nothing I thought to much about.

However, that all changed in T1.
What would you do differently?:

Swim a little slower.
Transition 1
  • 05m 21s
Comments:

Got out of the water and the wetsuit strippers were awesome, had my suit off in about 1 second flat. Actually threw it back at me and almost knocked me over.

I jogged over to my bike and threw the wetsuit on the rack when my R hamstring gave me a nice twinge. Then I looked down the row of bikes in transition and noticed that the transition area was scrolling up (like on an out of adjustment TV) and began to get light headed. Decided maybe it would be best to kneel down for a moment and collect myself. Knelt down and my hip flexors cramped on me (not fun). Got them to let go and then sat down all the way and slowly began getting my shoes on while contemplating a DNF. If the scrolling of the transition area wasn't going to stop I was actually afraid to get out on the bike. Luckily the transition area got "adjusted" and stopped scrolling and I got myself under control and headed out on the bike.

Took a Endurolyte in T1 just to get it into my body ASAP.

Not much except not swim as hard.
Bike
  • 2h 50m 22s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.72 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt good on the bike. Took the first 10 miles or so to get into a groove and just get comfortable. Hit the hill to the "BT aid station" and shifted appropriately and just spun right up it, no worries. Then cruised around to Devil's Hill, which sucked but was short, spun up as much as possible then popped out of the saddled and cranked over the top. I noticed how poorly people use their gears, several were cranking gears and mashing the pedals when they had several other easier gears on the rear they could have used. I would have hated to see them on the second ascent of that hill.

That was kind of my theme for the day, ride moderately hard and use my gears as well as I could. I made sure to spin up hills as much as possible and carry my momentum up them as much as possible. However, about mile 40 I began to get some leg cramps in my R quad and was a little concerned. I had taken Endurolytes on the 30m -ish and drank well. Peed once at mile 30 or so and then was able to wait until T2, so I was hydrating well. Drank 1 +1/4 bottle of my nutrition and 3 aero bottles full of H2O. I did not take in any other nutrition for the bike as I was planning on using gels for the run and didn't want to get burnt out on them.

I think I am going to get a 12-25 on the race wheels for IMLP to allow me to better spin up the hills.

Thought I rode a smart race on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 04m 15s
Comments:

Felt good in this transition, as the transition area wasn't spinning!! :)

Transition was a bit long as I used the Porta-O-Pot (POP) on my way out, had to wait a few seconds then peed for about 4 minutes it seemed like, think Austin Powers. :)

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 55m 24s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Began the run and felt like I was mentally about 3 yards behind my body. Didn't know if it was being on the edge of bonking or just that wonderful runners high that I get sometimes. As I was leaving the beach saw some moose antlers on the ground grabbed them and put them on for the run. Probably the best thing I did, as it seemed to pump up all the spectators, which is great while you are getting though the run.

Legs were not feeling good from the get go, felt like I might cramp at any moment, but tried to keep running and get into a groove. Finally found one and was running way to fast, 8:15mm pace. Slowed it down over the next mile or so and settled into the 8:45 - 9:00mm pace that I wanted. Entered the first aid station and my R hammy locked up, but I was able to walk it off and get going again. Took gels every 30' w/ gatorade / water at every other aid station, also took an endurolyte every 30' or so.

Great course, the first loop I didn't walk unless I chose to, the water stations, and felt strong. Had my R hammy cramp again heading down the steep hill to go back into the transition area for the 2nd loop, took a little longer for that on to work its way out. On the second loop I walked 1/2 of the hill heading to the "BT station" area then again up the hill our of Beachwood Drive, other than that I ran the whole thing.

I am really proud of this run (and I will toot my own horn, dammit), I did not feel good and the legs were on the verge of cramping up most of the run, however, I was able to modify my stride and pace to keep them moving. I looked back at my previous 1/2 IM runs and this is the fastest and I probably felt the worst. Don't tell her, but I was just making sure that I finished w/ a better time than TriGirl069, as I would have never heard the end of it.

It was great being able to see everyone on the course, at one point OnTheRun called me Max, I think or he saw someone else he knew. Saw Max, May, Stacey (of course), Seth, Aaron, HuskyBoy and others out there and was able to get energy from them, hope I was able to give some back!

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some water and a banana. Met our cheering crew and waited to Stacey to finish. She had such a great race a 15 or so minute PB!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramping and working the aid station the day before. 2.5 mile walk and standing handing out Gatorade does make for good race day prep.

Event comments:

Keith puts on a great race and I would do this or any of his races in a heartbeat.

Last updated: 2007-04-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:35 | 2112 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/67
Overall: 176/526
Performance: Good
Suit: QR Full
Course: Rectangle out and back start on one side of the beach and end on the other.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:21
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:50:22 | 56 miles | 19.72 mile/hr
Overall: 213/526
Min HR - 104 Avg HR - 136 Max HR - 168
Wind: Little with gusts
Course: 2 loops on a hilly "technical" course.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 04:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:55:24 | 13.1 miles | 08m 49s  min/mile
Overall: 321/526
Min HR - 121 Avg Hr - 151 Max Hr - 173
Course: 2 loop out and back course with a moderate hill about 2.5 mile mark, then some rollers
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-05 1:10 PM

User image

Expert
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
Subject: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance

2007-06-05 2:20 PM
in reply to: #830729

Pro
Andover
Subject: RE: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance
Dontcha' hate when those transition areas start moving around on ya'?

Well done buddy!
2007-06-05 3:50 PM

Expert

I get that same lightheadedness as well sometimes...usually just takes a few minutes to pass.

Great race overall

2007-06-05 4:02 PM

User image

Master
CT
Nice job out there Dave. Sorry we didnt get to meet. I'm trying to think now if I saw a guy out on the run course with Moose antlers on…??

Pam
2007-06-05 4:14 PM

User image

Expert
Welcome to Super Mario World
I remember the antlers. Nice job with all the fuss your body was putting you through!
2007-06-05 6:41 PM

User image

Master
Maine

Great job gutting it out on a tough course.

Nice to meet you guys this weekend too - hopefully I'll see you at LP.

2007-06-06 4:25 PM

User image

Expert
Oak Ridge,
Great job out there.  You did well responding/reacting to the signals your body was telling you.  I had the similar sensations in T1 (those late Friday night/early Saturday morning bed spinning moments from college) so maybe transition area was in fact moving and it wasn't us.  It was energizing to see so many familiar faces on the run course.  Didn't recognize you initially the first time (with the horns and all) but actually looked forward to seeing you the next time.  Even my wife and kids commented on the guy wearing the moose antlers.   
2007-06-06 4:47 PM

User image

Master
Portland, ME
Nice job out there! I think I recall seeing antlers out on the run, but I also thought I saw Elvis as well.
2007-06-11 3:01 PM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
WOW!! you really rocked that hilly course, dave!! another amazing race for you, keep on blazing man!
2007-06-11 7:57 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Great job, particularly after spending all that time on your feet in the sun the day before.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed