Multisports Canada
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 00m 30s
Overall Rank = 97/301
Age Group = 20-29F
Age Group Rank = 13/55
Pre-race routine:

I got out of bed, hopped in the car to make it in time to put my bike and transition gear in transition by 7am. Since I wasn't going to start swimming until 10am, I waited to eat until 8am at the race. I had a banana and a granola bar and a bottle of water.
Event warmup:

No warmup.
Swim
  • 11m 24s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 17s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started a little bit too fast but then slowed down after the first lap and kept my usual pace I did in my training. I came out of the pool feeling surprisingly well.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Having never practiced the transition, I felt I did ok. I had my cap and goggles off right away and wiped off my feet, put on socks, shoes, the helmet. The transition time was included in with the bike so I don't know how long it took.

At the beginning of the bike course we had to mount after a specific line and there was another lady there so there was no jumping on the bike, although I was ready to hop on and start going! I got one shoe clipped in right away and it took me about 10-15 seconds to get the other one in.

My bike shoes slowed me down, now I'm thinking if I really get into tris, to get triathlon shoes to cut down my transition time by about 20 seconds (and I would have broken an hour) :)

For my first time, not too bad.
Bike
  • 36m 16s
  • 16 kms
  • 26.47 km/hr
Comments:

The course was pretty good with minimal amounts of traffic. They had the right most lane marked off for us with volunteers at each corner. One section of the course was under construction so we had to bike on the rough, grind down pavement. On my fourth lap I decided to stay to the right of the lane next to the one we were supposed to use since the rough pave was uncomfortable to ride on and slowed me down alot.

I probably would have pushed it more but I was nervous that I'd have no legs left on the run. Also I need to learn how to drink from my bottle and still keep a decent pace. Also I want to buy a bike bag to put near my handle bars that has easy access to food since I didn't have anything on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I had a little difficulty racking my bike (something else I probably should have practiced):) But the yanks were awesome and probably the beset $10 investment I made towards all this triathlon stuff. T2 was a breeze, well besides the bike racking part.

T2 time was also included in the bike time.

Practice racking my bike
Run
  • 12m 52s
  • 3 kms
  • 04m 17s  min/km
Comments:

There was a water station at the turn around. I only grabbed water on the 2nd lap, with most of it getting dumped on my head.

I'm going to start implementing brick workouts on a (at least) weekly basis. I heard the the run was tough right after the run but I'd never done it before. My legs only started feeling normal around 2k.
Post race
Warm down:

Lots and lots of water, a bit of stretching. Oh and a bunch of cookies (hey .. I deserved them!!) =)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My swim time haha. Gotta get swimming more and practice biking hills.

Event comments:

First tri and I had a lot of fun. I can't wait to do the next one in two weeks!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-04-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:24 | 500 meters | 02m 17s / 100meters
Age Group: 25/55
Overall: 111/301
Performance: Good
I passed two people and got passed by someone that entered the lane after I did.
Suit:
Course: 10 laps in a pool with 4 swimmers per lane.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:36:16 | 16 kms | 26.47 km/hr
Age Group: 16/55
Overall: 119/301
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: 4 x 4km loop
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:12:52 | 03 kms | 04m 17s  min/km
Age Group: 8/55
Overall: 67/301
Performance: Good
Course: 3 x 1km loop My time seems very fast so I don't know how accurate the course was in terms of the distance we ran.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes