DQ Events
76F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 16m 34s
Overall Rank = 77/191
Age Group = 25-29 Male
Age Group Rank = 6/16
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:00am and ate a PB&J sandwich and washed it down with some gatorade am. Everything was already packed up so I just put my bike on the back of the jeep and we were off for Belleplain. I had another PB&J on the way there. It took us about an hour and twenty minutes to get there so we were one of the first ones there. Got my stuff out and headed to the transition area. Saw Lauren coming over so we chatted briefly. I got my stuff all set up and then we found out that one of the vans for the event overturned on the highway and that all the other scanning chips were scattered all over the highway. They told us that the people were ok but we would not be able to get our splits today. It sucks but its no big deal.
Event warmup:

I did a 8 minute run followed by a 12 minute bike. By the time I got to the lake I only had time to do about 100yard swim.
Swim
  • 08m 42s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

There were no splits so no rankings for each sport... The swim was by far my most horrible part of the triathlon. I guess it's because I have never done an open water swim. As soon as it started I went out there way too hard. I was about 150 yards into it and I was already burned out. It went thru my head that I wasnt going to make it and that my first race would be a DNF! I had to doggied paddle for about 50 yards just to catch my breath. I wasn't exhaling while my face was in the water, I wasn't sighting, and I was just having trouble all over. About half way thru I recomposed myself and did ok for the rest of the swim. I still had a lot of trouble with the breathing.
What would you do differently?:

More OWS before an event, focus on stroke, breathe properly.

Put in more time swimming on training. We all know I didnt do as much as I should have.
Transition 1
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Everything went extremely well in both transitions.

Nothing
Bike
  • 43m 30s
  • 15.2 miles
  • 20.97 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike segment went extremely good for me. From the transition I hopped on and was off. I was riding around 20mph for the first couple miles. Around mile three I reached down for my accelerade and as I was pulling it up I bobbled it and lost my grip and it fell on the road. I decided not to stop and get it and I just kept going. I had only put one bottle in my cages so I had no hydration for the entire bike. Around the fifth mile or so my friend Lauren came flying past me. I decided to go harder and I stayed about 100' behind her for a few minutes but she can just fly so I let her go. I kept my hammer down for the entire rest of the ride averaging around 22 to 23 mph for the rest of it. I was extremely happy with the bike as I was hoping to average between 19 and 20mph at the most.

Not much. Maybe ride a bit harder.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Everything was extremely smooth. I saw Cori as I was racking my bike and I took a few seconds to bitch about my bottle falling. I also took a few extra seconds to drink some accelerade in a bottle that was in my transition bag.

Nothing
Run
  • 21m 23s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

I have no clue how I pulled this off but I destroyed what I felt my run time would be. I have been training extra hard in my run and it really paid off in this race. I started off a bit slow but I picked up the pace and started passing people pretty quickly. I got up to one guy and he sped up a bit so he could chat with me for a few minutes. Talked about it was my first tri and he was in his third season. He was saying he was doing a HIM this year as well. Just looking at him it seemed like he was having difficulty with the sprint so how was he going to do the HIM. Oh well maybe he knows something I dont. When I hit mile one at the aid station I grabbed about three cups of water. Dumped one on my head and drank two. I kept going quick and I saw my friend Lauren again a bit of ways ahead of me and looping around the loop. On the way back I finally got into yelling distance to her. I kept cheering for her and made sure her leg and hip were ok. They were so I followed her in all the way to the finish. She has been great to me helping me out along the way (also inspiring to see her bike because she can fly!). As we rounded the corner I saw the time clock and I was just so happy to see I was destroying my goal time. It made me feel great inside that I was over 8 minutes faster than what I thought I would do. For my first triathlon ever I am extremely pleased with my overall race performance and my place in my age group. Better than half of the pack is ok in my book for now. It feels good to finally be a triathlete.

The only thing I could think of is to run a bit harder. After I crossed the finish line my tank wasnt quite empty but I figured better safe than sorry.
Post race
Warm down:

Did some minor stretching and walked around. Besides that I didnt do much more beside rehydrate myself and eat another PB&J when we got in the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swimming! Swimming! Swimming! I need to train more and better at my swimming. I knew I have been avoiding it and now I can see where my weak link is. Besides that I just feel my other fields need to stay consistant with training and eventually start working on speed training with each one.

Event comments:

Like I said, I am happy with my overall results. After it was all over I reflected back to that moment in the water when I was thinking I was going to have to give up but I am not a quiter and I did the right thing, I finished what I started and ended up kicking ass on the other 2/3 of the race. It's not a one event race, there is always room to make up for lost time. I am happy and I felt like it was a great first race for me and at the same time a good stepping stone for Philly.

Last updated: 2007-04-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:42 | 440 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 0/191
Performance: Below average
Suit: BlueSeventy Helix Long John
Course: It was squared out in water start and beach exit and about 100 yard run from the beach to the transition area
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:40
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:43:30 | 15.2 miles | 20.97 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: Road course around the state park
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 96
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:23 | 03.1 miles | 06m 54s  min/mile
Course: Paved trail thru the state forrest with a small loop at 1.5 miles into it and same trail back. Water station at miles 1 & back at 2.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-05 8:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Media, PA
Subject: Belleplain Triathlon

2007-06-06 8:24 AM
in reply to: #831387

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Belleplain Triathlon

Awesome Race there AJ, man your bike time was smoking faster than me for sure. A few OWS before your next race and you are going to kick Ar*e.

Sounds like you enjoyed your race good job.

2007-06-06 9:07 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Congrats on completing your first tri!  Nothing unusual in your reaction to the first OWS.  You'll almost surely handle it better at Philly in a couple weeks.  Great bike & run!
2007-06-06 9:42 AM

User image

Master
Malvern, PA

great job - it's a shame about the accident - that's usually a pretty nice race and they do a great job running it...

the swimming WILL get better... I'm a pretty decent swimmer but I like to let the wave go for about 15-20 seconds before I take off... since I started doing that I don't think I've ever had a bad swim

the 15-20 seconds is made up in the more continuous swim with less stop/start/sighting...

GOOD LUCK in your next few races...

Edited by maxmattmick 2007-06-06 9:42 AM
2007-06-06 10:13 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Great race!  Way to crush your goal on the first TRI!  HEHEEE.  The OW swim will get easier.  It has happened to me on my first one too!
2007-06-06 12:41 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Great job on the race and keeping things in perspective after the race. I'm sure you'd still be pissed today if you quit in the middle of the swim, and then you wouldn't have had that great bike and run.

2007-06-06 2:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

Way to pull through the swim and then kick on the bike and run.  To almost DNF in the water and then get out and smoke the bike and run like that shows some serious mental toughness.  You're a triathlete now! 

You clearly have great potential AJ.  To go out and put up a 20+ mph bike, sub-7 pace run, and top half in AG tells me you can be seriously fast at this game.  Keep it up, you're going to kill it at Philly.

2007-06-06 9:26 PM

Veteran
Philadelphia
YAY!!!!! I'm so happy for you. Lemme tell ya, I did my first OW swim a few weeks ago (just practicing) and even though I'm a strong swimmer, I bugged hard. So yeah, it just sucks all around. Gret job on the bike (20 mph!!!) and the run (6:54...HOLY CRAP!) I mean for real, can you teach me how to run that fast, lol.
2007-06-07 8:29 AM

User image

Expert
Nice race report and nice first TRI. Way to regain your focus during the swim. It says a lot about your determination....

Good job...
2007-06-07 9:01 AM

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ

great race.... way to hang in there for the swim, great bike and run....

i also know Lauren you are right she is way fast on the bike, and i heck of a climber..

2007-06-07 7:36 PM
in reply to: #833834

Champion
South Jersey

Great job, AJ! You had an awesome performance for your first race. No worries about the swim - you hung tough and still did very well. In the future, you might want to try breast stroke (even if you keep your head above water the whole time) instead of doggie paddle...you'll probably cover more ground (water?) and use less energy. But, you did great. Your next OWS will be a heck of a lot easier.

Your bike was great, and that run was SMOKIN'!!! Awesome job !

Thanks for cheering for me on the run...in case you haven't noticed, I'm not much of a talker out there on the course...don't take it personally. Thanks for asking about my hip and leg...you're out there bustin' your butt on your fastest run ever and asking about my well-being . That's also crazy you had a short conversation with someone while posting such a fast run...good stuff!

Oh, and I dropped my water bottle during my first tri too...must be some sort of initiation or something.

Anyway, GREAT JOB! You're going to do awesome in Philly. You should be proud of yourself and feeling really confident about your next race !!

Oh, and who is this Lauren person you speak of?

2007-06-07 8:45 PM
in reply to: #835038

User image

Veteran
Media, PA

................... Just some hot tri chick who can fly on the bikeWinkWinkWink  All kidding aside, you did great out there yourself and your bike is really inspiring to see! Nothing personal taken when you don't talk back. I still know you can hear me out there and as long as I know people are listening I am going to keep chatting it up out there. It kind of takes my mind of things, as long as I am still going fast I will do it!   Thanks again for everything.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Belleplain Triathlon Rss Feed