Lost Dutchman Marathon
70?F / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 43m 12s
Overall Rank = 59/159
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 9/17
Pre-race routine:

Woke up on early to make the 30 minute drive with the roomate. Listened to some tunes on the way out and discussed how we were going to run. Ate a bannana power bar and gatorade.
Event warmup:

Streched, jogged a quick 1/4 to 1/2 mile and stretched again. Tired to keep warm thru the wind and overcast morning.
Run
  • 43m 12s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

For my first event I thought it went pretty well. The I-pod helped out greatly. The wind was a beast, and I constanly battled cotton mouth.
What would you do differently?:

Lets see... Get there earlier so we could get a parking spot instead of taking the shuttle. Position myself better for the bottle neck and keep aout of the traffic. Next time when I miss the trash bin at the aid station, I wont stop running, go back and pick it up.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked, ate some oranges and bannanas, drank water and cheered my some friends on who were doing the 10K. Topped it off with bloody marys and an omelete at Saltys.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Myself. I had trained, but this was the first race off the couch.

Event comments:

The 8k was organized, but the Marathon group got led off course. Some DQ's and some were asked to DQ themselves. It was a good time, I thought the 8K would be eaiser than the 10K, but the soft trail with little footing was tuff.

Last updated: 2007-06-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:43:12 | 04.97 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/17
Overall: 59/159
Performance: Good
Course: The race started at the same point as the 10K, 1/2 and full marathon runners. Ran thru a parking lot then over a grassy field where the trail bottle necked down to about a 15' area. From there the course was mostly soft sandy-dirt with softball size rocks and washes. Most of the trail was narrow and you had to be paticent and find the right spot to pass. Lots of cactus / bushes / rocks and runners to contend with. The course was an out and back so twords the end middle of the race there was traffic from both directions. There was one aid station.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes