General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 6 min run/1 min walk theory Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-08 10:45 AM

Regular
TX
Subject: 6 min run/1 min walk theory
Can anyone enlighten me on this method of running longer distances.  I am really struggling with my run and it seems that if I get out much past 30 minutes or so non-stop, I just can't go anymore.  Today, I ran for 20 minutes, then I began the 1 walk, 6 run method for the rest of my run (39 minutes total).  It seems like I have heard of people doing this even in marathons.  Anyone do this, and is this a way for me to increase my time and mileage and work my way to some longer runs, or do I just need to keep pushing and try to go farther non-stop?   BTW, I am 42 y/o, new to tris (1 under my belt) and am really trying to increase my time and distance in the run as this is the hardest element (by far) for me. 

2007-06-08 10:47 AM
in reply to: #835826

User image

Expert
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: 6 min run/1 min walk theory
Lots of coaches suggest it. Good way to prevent over-use injuries and to increase endurance.
Jeff Galloway is probably the best known of the run/walk camps:
http://jeffgalloway.com/
2007-06-08 11:09 AM
in reply to: #835834

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Just curious, but what do you mean by "can't go any more".  Are you having trouble breathing?  Or is it more a tired body?  If you're out of breath and can't keep up in that way, another option is slowing down overall.  While it seems pointless in the short term (in that you're preparing for a race), you will speed up again over time as your cardio health improves.  I think the walk/run is a perfectly good idea, but that's what worked for me.   Also, if I am running at my new slower pace but still feel out of breath (up a hill or something) I slow down even more.  It helps to imagine keeping up the same number of steps, but shorter strides, until you recover.  Then pick up the pace when you can.  Good luck!
2007-06-08 11:18 AM

User image

Champion
Butler
There are several theories about how often you should walk in distance races but the big thing is to walk before you need to and thus the ratio plans.  If you start out with a 25/5 ratio and work your way to a 5/1 ratio as the race goes on you should feel better at the end of the race.  Just try to walk early and often.  Search around the internet for Ultra distance training and see what some of those nuts do.  Some people use ratio some just run by feel, but they all say walk before you get tired.
2007-06-08 11:54 AM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
I didn't use this specific run/walk breakdown, but I used a 1 mile run, 30 second walk at a recent marathon no matter if it was on mile 3 or mile 25 and it didn't matter if I was tired or not. My usual running pace is about 10:30 minute/mile without the 30 second walk, and by using 1 mile run/30 second, I ended up with a total average of 11:35 minute/mile for the marathon.

So, in the beginning miles, it was probably a 10:30minute/mile run with a 30 second walk through the aid stations.

Toward the end, it would probably be more like a 12 minute/mile run with a 30 second walk through the aid stations.

2007-06-08 1:13 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
yeah I been run/walking well offically all 8 marathons but I found that wearing a hr monitor really does help me more than a min by min. Maybe I am just in better shape but I think the HRM helps alot. It keeps me from over burning my muscle glygoen which is important. Plus I am not so starved after a run which is also very helpful. Basicly I run until my HR gets close to the anarobic zone and then I walk until it comes down into a safe range. It is very useful.

I might be leading a run/walk group and I will look into jeff gallowway if I do get a run/walk group.

I have a few rules I follow. Always walk up hills and never walk down hills. By doing this I will PR on courses most others complain they lose 10 - 15 mins off a half marathon.

2007-06-08 3:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland

I used the run/walk method for all my Half-Marathons and also when I started running again last year after a few month break.

The ratio does not have to be 6-1, it can be anything. I did my first Half with a 9-1, then second with a 8-2 and third with a 9-3 and all worked great.

But it would also good to know what one of the others ask how you feel tried (heartwise or leg wise). Whats your pace right now?

2007-06-08 3:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland

mhmm double post...

Edited by Joblin 2007-06-08 3:04 PM
2007-06-08 3:29 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
I do a 3/1 although I used to 4/1 and found I wanted to slow myself down a little bit. I've run several 1/2 marathons doing this with great success. I'll let you know in 2 weeks how it works at the end of an IM
2007-06-08 3:44 PM
in reply to: #836637

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

One other thought after reading your initial post.  Some of this might just come with practice.  I couldn't run 1 mile without really looking forward to my walk break one year ago.   I would come home from a run and say "I can't believe I ran the whole 2 miles!" This spring I came home saying "I can't believe I ran the whole 6 miles" and just a few weeks ago I was able to report "I ran the WHOLE 10 mileS!".

I am running a half-marathon next weekend and I am pretty sure I could run it straight through.  Although I might treat myself to a potty break if necessary   It will come, you might just be pushing it too soon.

2007-06-08 3:48 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Do not forget Runners world reminaed people its ok to walk and many times your faster by doing so. Remember its time it takes you to get accross the finish line that counts and not if you have to walk.

2007-06-08 4:05 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
I don't ever suggest it. If you can't do the whole run, then question the training. In the beginning, sure, it's ok, but after that it becomes a crutch. If you go to it, go to it with the intention of becoming a full time runner. Just saying is all. I'm a runner.. and completely biased.
2007-06-08 4:39 PM
in reply to: #836701

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland

atl_runner - 2007-06-08 9:05 PM I don't ever suggest it. If you can't do the whole run, then question the training. In the beginning, sure, it's ok, but after that it becomes a crutch. If you go to it, go to it with the intention of becoming a full time runner. Just saying is all. I'm a runner.. and completely biased.

Mhmm I don´t really agree. Being a runner who takes walking breaks does not mean you are NOT a real runner!!

Talking walking breaks does not neccesarily mean that you can´t run the whole distance, it just makes you do it with less effort and most often even faster than if you would run it all because you are not tiring that easily and have enough left at the end. You are also less likely to bonk or hit the wall.

I do it on my long run (longer than 90min) mostly because I don´t want my body to suffer too much due to the fact that I am still 40lsb overweight and I also want to be able to exercise with full power the next day and not be tired for 3 days after!

When you start up it is a good way to use walking breaks and the more you train the longer you can run without them eventually.

Edited by Joblin 2007-06-08 4:40 PM
2007-06-08 4:55 PM
in reply to: #836750

User image

Champion
Butler
Joblin - 2007-06-08 4:39 PM

atl_runner - 2007-06-08 9:05 PM I don't ever suggest it. If you can't do the whole run, then question the training. In the beginning, sure, it's ok, but after that it becomes a crutch. If you go to it, go to it with the intention of becoming a full time runner. Just saying is all. I'm a runner.. and completely biased.

Mhmm I don´t really agree. Being a runner who takes walking breaks does not mean you are NOT a real runner!!

Talking walking breaks does not neccesarily mean that you can´t run the whole distance, it just makes you do it with less effort and most often even faster than if you would run it all because you are not tiring that easily and have enough left at the end. You are also less likely to bonk or hit the wall.

I do it on my long run (longer than 90min) mostly because I don´t want my body to suffer too much due to the fact that I am still 40lsb overweight and I also want to be able to exercise with full power the next day and not be tired for 3 days after!

When you start up it is a good way to use walking breaks and the more you train the longer you can run without them eventually.

I agree. I try not to walk for short races but even for a half-mary I will walk through water stops since I can't get water in while running.  For ultra you almost have to walk.  Most people cannot run that far and those races are more about endurance and not speed.
2007-06-08 5:38 PM
in reply to: #836774

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
when in comes to ultra like 4 or 5 day events some jsut walk the whole way. though running and walking does effects your muscles different and gives you a break.

only time I would not say you ran is if you did not run at all.
2007-06-08 5:51 PM
in reply to: #836824

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA
I think, from my own experience and from what I have read from the experts, that the run-walk method of training is an excellent way to build endurance. If you’re getting in a 40 minute run/walk workout and you’re still new to tri’s you’re doing awesome. As other’s have mentioned you don’t necessarily have to stick with 1 walk/6 run, but that sounds about what I’ve done when building an endurance base.

It’s important to point out that during the walk times your heartrate is still elevated and you can stay in the aerobic zone, so the walk time is not unproductive and you’re still training. Keep it up!

2007-06-08 8:50 PM
in reply to: #836830

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
I'm training for my first IM and once I got up to 3 hours running (running was/is my weakness) we moved deliberately to a 10min run/ 1min walk strategy. It is loosely to coincide with taking in water/ nutrition at aid stations BUT the last one I did during this past week I PRd on distance covered. The 1 min walk really does refresh you.
BTW I also used this strategy when I started running about 18 months ago (and it wasn't 10mins at a time either!) and that was necessity rather than being told to. So, I say, walk if you need it and it will not only build your endurance but build your confidence that you can go for longer
2007-06-08 9:14 PM

Regular
Austin, Texas
I started training for Sprint distance Tris this year. I began with the run (jog )/walk and that gradually increased over the week.s I hit a "wall" at about the 5/1 mark and was stuck there for, what I thought, was too long. I could go the 5 min, and of course I could walk the 1 min, but it seemed like I absolutely could NOT pick it back up again for any longer than a few minutes at a time. I got frustrated and said scr$w it, I am going to ignore the training and the HR monitor and just try and jog a mile. And I did it.

Once I stop to walk I still can't seem to pick the running back up. So I've been gradually increasing my distance over the past month or so. Tomorrow morning I am going to try and run 2 miles non stop. It's becoming more difficult as the humidity and heat rises (it was 100 today 0, so we're going ealry in the morning. My legs feel good, but it feels like I can't breath, but I CAN breath and am able to talk (without totally gasping for air), so I think I just need more confidence.

I am one of those that has the Mental Monstor on my back for running. Swimming - no sweat, I know I can swim and float and make forward progress. Cycle - no problem, I may be slower than some, but I'm confident that I can get my bike to do what I want it to do. So I can invision myself as a "Swimmer" and a "Cyclist", but not yet as a "Runner". I am going to try some tips I read hear about self-talk tomorrow and see how that goes. When I swim I think "slow and steady, long and lean". When I cycle I think "committ and GO", when I run I think............I think I need to NOT think!!

2007-06-08 9:29 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I started running in '04 for my first tri and never heard of run/walk. I really sucked and would only run in the dark as I didn't want my neighbors to see me.

One of my goals in my first tri was not to walk at all as I saw that as a failure...I did a very slow 42 minutes or 13:08 m/m for 3.2 miles.

I really was slow and improved slowly at running...last year was really a break through year for me. I did a 1/2 Mary & felt great doing it and actually ran last 5K faster than I did in any sprint; relearned how to run with good form and stop heal striking even though I didn't know I did it at the time; and really learned to love running; and made some good gains in pace

This year while training with a friend here on BT I tried the run/walk thing that she did. When I first started doing it my hamstrings hated starting running again. Now that I'm training for a HIM this Fall, I have been playing around with the run/walk thinking it will help me recover and keep going when running long after that s/b. I tried doing it 4/1, my HR never would settle down and I never felt good. I tried 5/1 and it worked much better, my HR settled down, my running form felt good the whole run, my pace was the same as straight running 8 miles, and I recovered much better.

What my coach told me is when doing the run on a sprint is is similar to running miles 6-10 since you are running after s/b. In a Int'l distance it is similar feeling to your body of running miles 14-20.

I did some walking in both my Int'l distance races this year and set PB and negative split the run and finished feeling good. Key for me is to trust my intuition when racing to know if I need the walk break or not. I set my HRM for intervals and have it beep at 5 minutes and then again 1 minute later. I found if I have to keep checking my watch it just distracts me and makes me dread the restart of running...easier just to go or stop on the beep.

I was really against it but have come to see how it can be really beneficial for many folks including me. Read the Gallway website and the book is even better.

Edited by KathyG 2007-06-08 9:29 PM
2007-06-08 9:47 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
JLarge - 2007-06-08 10:45 AM Can anyone enlighten me on this method of running longer distances.  I am really struggling with my run and it seems that if I get out much past 30 minutes or so non-stop, I just can't go anymore.  Today, I ran for 20 minutes, then I began the 1 walk, 6 run method for the rest of my run (39 minutes total).  It seems like I have heard of people doing this even in marathons.  Anyone do this, and is this a way for me to increase my time and mileage and work my way to some longer runs, or do I just need to keep pushing and try to go farther non-stop?   BTW, I am 42 y/o, new to tris (1 under my belt) and am really trying to increase my time and distance in the run as this is the hardest element (by far) for me. 

You already can run for 30 min straight but thereafter you become fatigued? Why no just slow down a notch (30+ sec per mile) so you can run the 30 min without feeling wiped and add 1 more run to your week. Start with a short one (10-15 min) and build up to another 30 min over time. If you can get to run 4-5x a week @ 30 min each and you feel you can do more then it will be time to increase the duration of one of the runs to make it a long run.

2007-06-09 10:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lethbridge, AB
I also do the run/walk thing. Our local marathon club recommends 10/1 which I do on my longer runs. I debated with doing away with it, but have found that my longer runs haven't been as successful. So now, I think I take about 30 s every 10 min. Enough to take a drink and readjust anything that needs to be adjusted. Still undecided on the length of the walk, but find I stay stronger if I include the walk break. I usually don't include them on runs of less than 6 miles.

Good luck! I hope you learn to love running. It can be a really great experience.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 6 min run/1 min walk theory Rss Feed