General Discussion Race Reports! » Las Palomas Triathlon at Rocky Point - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Las Palomas Triathlon at Rocky Point - Olympic Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Rocky Point ,
Mexico
Red Rock Company
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 153/190
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 43/49
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early for breakfast and stage. Ate a bagel w/ peanut butter and honey, bannana and gatorade.
Event warmup:

Streached.
Swim
  • 13m 51s
  • 400 meters
  • 03m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

Still a batteling a stomach bug from the week before I wanted to take it easy on the swim. The waves knocked some people off the reef and the stingrays had their way with some others. I've been to Rocky Point enough times to know how to walk the beach, but still ended up messing up my toe on the reef. The first part of the swim went well until I got off course. When I looked up to see where I was going I was almost to the Olympic swimers. I had to get back on course and paddle back in.
What would you do differently?:

Push my self harder on the swim. The week before was disaterous at the spash and dash and I had lost confidence in myself. I couuld have shaved off a decent amount of time if I would have stayed on course and pushed myself harder
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

The 200yd run up the beach over the reef was tuff on the feet. The play pools to rinse your feet were really low by the time i got there. My transition was at the verry back so I had to backtrack a good amount. When I got to my bike, I rinsed off, got my shoes, shorts, shirt and helmet on and was off. Ate a bite of a bannan and had a gu packet and filled my water bottle up on the way out.

Go faster
Bike
  • 49m 1s
  • 10 miles
  • 12.24 mile/hr
Comments:

I didn't have enough time on my bike to get comfortable with the gears. I would shift wrong and loose a lot of momentum. I got passed by more people than I could count! At least I had driven the course the night before to see where the big hills would be and try to find the right gear. I saw a few people wipe out on the big hill. One guy couldnt clip out and fell over, which made anouther guy loose it. I was in the lowest gear and out of the saddle to make it up.

TRAIN ON MY BIKE!!! The hundreds of stationary miles I put on at the gym was good for the conditioning, but in no way got me ready for the ride. I need to get comfortable with my bike. I thought that the bike would be my best part of the race and it ended up being my worst.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Fast transition. Changed shoes, ate a bite of a banana grabed a quick drink threw on the visor and tunes and was off. I knew my performance was bad on the bike so I wanted to make up time.

Would have had another GU packet and would have run with the bike.
Run
  • 28m 59s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

I made up for the bike on the run. I passed a lot of the people that had passed me on the bike section. By no meens was it a great run, but I was still proud of myself to bounce back from the bike. Lots of sand on the road along with stopped cars. The last portion of the run was a beast in the sand. I sprinted the last portion and ran like a goof ball to keep my feet from sinking, but it worked.

Drink more watter! I could have opened up my stride a little more and pushed myself a little harder. By this time I wasnt concerned about time, I was just having fun!
Post race
Warm down:

Corona! Free Corona for the Athleets! I had water also, but after the 3rd corona it was time for a nap.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was at 85% physicaly and mentaly. I battled a stomach bug and I barely trained the prior 2 weeks to the race. Not being comfortable on my bike killed my time.

Event comments:

This was my first TRI and I loved it! Now I have a time to improve on. I'll be back next year to do it again!

Last updated: 2007-06-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:51 | 400 meters | 03m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/49
Overall: 0/190
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Wade start. Out to the first bouy, paralleled the beach cross the second bouy then back in.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:01 | 10 miles | 12.24 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 1 loop around and in. Sand on the course along with a decent amout of stopped traffic (people were stuck in their cars for hours). There was one big hill after a sharp turn that seemed to be a problem. Saw one wreck in and one wreck out. The locals that were working on the buildings stopped to cheer on the racers (mostly the ladies with hoots, whistles and cat calls).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:59 | 03.1 miles | 09m 21s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: 1 loop and back with the run finishing off on the sandy beach in front of the pool. The ground was getting hot by this time and the fumes from the people stuck in their cars was filling the air by the way back. There were some sandy spots and one aid station
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-06-08 10:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Las Palomas Triathlon at Rocky Point - Olympic Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Las Palomas Triathlon at Rocky Point - Olympic Distance Rss Feed