General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Concerned about first triathlon on Sunday Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-06-08 1:53 PM

User image

Subject: Concerned about first triathlon on Sunday
Hi everyone,

I am new to this site and at the moments I have butterflies in my stomach. I signed up several months ago to do the Danskin Tri in Austin which is tomorrow and as life happened I had to stop training for a long time due to being away from home. I realy want to do this tri...so badly. Perhaps because this will be my first. I can do the biking easily, the running is not a problem. But I truly fear that open water swim of 1/2 mile. I am not a strong swimmer and can do about 20 laps in a pool. I understand that open water swimming is a whole lot different and the distance will be about 35 laps. Most people tell me it is all mental from here. I know this sounds silly, but I am scared of failing and what do I do in the water when I get tired. At the same time I realy don't want to miss out on such a great event.

Can anyone please give me some advice and any thoughts will be wonderfull.

2007-06-08 1:58 PM
in reply to: #836335

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Subject: RE: Concerned about first triathlon on Sunday

Welcome to BT!!! 

So as to not reiterate what has been said in countless threads, I would search the forums for OWS and read through them.  You'll find lots of tips and suggestions, stories of people who conquered their first OWS after having concerns just like yours, and lots of other good stuff.

I should know... I have my first OWS race coming up in about a week and you and I are in the same boat.

So I can't really give you any other advice other than what I am telling myself, which is to relax and stop thinking about it so much.  Easier said than done!!! 

2007-06-08 2:00 PM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Hi Judith, you will do fine. For the swim, try to get some swim time in the lake before the race. Will the RD let you get "warmed up" in the water? Also, it's ok to go into a safety stroke if you get tired. Many times, I'll flip onto my back, do breast stroke, doggie paddle, or side stroke just to rest a little. Also, since it's your first race, don't start out in the front. It's too crazy and it might make you more nervous if you get hit here and there. Just start out in the back and take your time. Don't forget also, that most races allow you to hold onto a bouy, kayak, or boat, as long as there's no forward motion. I'd ask to make sure though.

Another thing that might help you is, if you have a friend doing it with you, to have them swim with you. I know there must be some BT'ers going there so do a search on Danskin and see who else is going to be there. Then maybe meet them before the race and that should relax you a bit.

Again, good luck and just relax. You will do fine. Just if you get tired, try not to panic, go into a safety stroke, and when you get your energy back, start up the front crawl.

Dave
2007-06-08 2:03 PM
in reply to: #836348

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Another comfort for you is knowing that at the Danskin tris they are expecting new people and will have a lot of help in the water.  You will have the option to rest in the water by holding onto a water noodle and then continue on.  As long as you don't try to swim with the help you will be okay.  You will NOT be alone in this. 

Other than that, browse through the forum and learn as much as you can.  I think that knowledge of what I should and what might happen makes me feel a lot better.

Good luck on Sunday!

2007-06-08 2:04 PM

User image

Mid Michigan
One key I try to remember at every swim is to start swimming at a pace that feals painfully slow! It gives you chance to settle in some. So at the start of the race just keep telling yourself...painfully slow. You will do fine!

Edited by BrianSusan 2007-06-08 2:05 PM
2007-06-08 2:04 PM

User image

Broomfield, CO
Judith, sounds like you have the ability to talk yourself through it. I haven't done an OWS yet, and am pretty nervous about it but we just gotta get out there and do it! I don't have any words of advice other than use other strokes if you get tired. I have also heard that there are noodles in the water where you can stop and hold on to should you need to rest. Good luck!

2007-06-08 2:06 PM
in reply to: #836376

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
One more thing.  A half mile is 880 yards.  A standard pool is 25 yards in length, or 50 yards in a lap.  That is only 17.6 laps to cover the distance.   So before you freak out, determine the distance of the pool you can swim 20 laps in.   You may find you are in good shape.
2007-06-08 2:11 PM

Veteran
Chicago, IL
my first tri last summer i was so nervous i almost threw up right before the race but it was because i really never got the swimming down at all. I was in a fire and could not go into the water for months to train. once i got in the water i just relaxed and mostly did side stroke or floated on my back when i got tired. you sound like you are in good shape if you can do 20 laps in a pool. also my tri was a 1 mile swim which is a lot of side stroking.
2007-06-08 2:15 PM

User image

Elite
New City, New York

sorry, I'm not gonna coddle you.  20  laps was your long swim and you haven't trained in how long? Postpone this and do one that that you can more properly train for.

You can read all you want today. it's not gonna help for being unprepared in the swim. The water is not the place to go that unprepared. You got more than nerves, you are simply unprepared.

sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear, but you asked. 

2007-06-08 2:23 PM

User image

Champion
Butler

If you goal is to finish.  If you your goal is to compete drop out, unless you are a super athlete you will not do well.

If you want to finish here are some ideas.  My first OWS tri is Sunday and I am too a little nervous but feeling more confident since I have had a chance to swim in OW a few times.  Alot of OWS is mental.  My first attempt was horrible, even in a wetsuit and I could swim 2+miles in a pool and barely finished 1/2 mile with a crowd.  Have since gone out with a small group of people and had no problems even with chop.  I just make my self keep going.  At the start, just hang back.  Noone said you must start swimming when the gun goes off.  What a minute let the crowd swim and start.  Breaststroke, side stroke, dog paddle, float, grab a kayak and rest,  just do what you have to.  The average person will be down in probably 15min if it takes you 30 you are only 15 minutes behind.  You can then try and make it up on the bike and run.

2007-06-08 2:24 PM
in reply to: #836410

User image

Elite
New City, New York

chi-fire - 2007-06-08 3:11 you sound like you are in good shape if you can do 20 laps in a pool.

This is the kind of advice on this site that drives some of us me nuts. OP states that she's aware her pool would require 35 laps to equal 1/2 mile (25 yd pool). What on earth would make you believe that she is "in good shape" if she can do only 20 laps? AND hasn't trained in a long time.

BTW that's in a pool not OW. They are a bit different.

Edited by rollinbones 2007-06-08 2:26 PM

2007-06-08 2:27 PM

Veteran
Chicago, IL
as long as the OP starts at the back experts like you will not even notice them
2007-06-08 2:32 PM
in reply to: #836475

User image

Elite
New City, New York

chi-fire - 2007-06-08 3:27 PM as long as the OP starts at the back experts like you will not even notice them

This post makes less sense than your first. It has nothing to do w/ the OP nor my response.  

2007-06-08 2:33 PM
in reply to: #836475

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

And let's not forget, this is Danskin.  This tri is made for people who want to try it out for the first time, women only, etc.  It's a whole different thing.

I volunteered at a tri last weekend and saw ALL abilities.  There were people who had finished, packed up and left while bikers will still coming in.   

Assuming the OP can manage to float when she's tired and finish the swim safely, has an idea of how to do a triathlon with transitions and all that, she'll be fine.  Then she will be so wiped at the end she will vow to herself to never let life get in the way of training again. 

2007-06-08 2:34 PM
in reply to: #836469

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
I have to concur with Rollin above. I am normally a free spirited, just do it, kinda person, but ain't no way I'm endorsing this. No OWS swim and you've got 1/2 mile OWS next week ???

I wish you all the luck and success either way, but water is nothing to play with, especially OWS.

You know if you can make it or not. Listen to yourself. Let us know what you do.
2007-06-08 2:39 PM

Veteran
Chicago, IL
you are saying that you hate it when beginners get into the water unprepared. if the OP can do 20 laps in a pool, that is a lot more than i could when i jumped in the water for my first olympic tri. i could not train in the pool for a long time due to burns but i wasnt going to quit. i got in the water and did whatever i could to finish. i started in the very back so I would not get in the way of the people that were actually trying to compete. If the OP can swim 20 laps in a pool they can complete the swim portion with a strong positive attitude. Swimming can be a lot in the head, just like running.

2007-06-08 2:43 PM
in reply to: #836494

User image

Elite
New City, New York
BikerGrrrl - 2007-06-08 3:33 PM

And let's not forget, this is Danskin. This tri is made for people who want to try it out for the first time, women only, etc. It's a whole different thing.

I volunteered at a tri last weekend and saw ALL abilities. There were people who had finished, packed up and left while bikers will still coming in.

Assuming the OP can manage to float when she's tired and finish the swim safely, has an idea of how to do a triathlon with transitions and all that, she'll be fine. Then she will be so wiped at the end she will vow to herself to never let life get in the way of training again.

BUT, this seems to have a lot more to do w/ preparedness than ability. I'm all for varied abilities I just think EVERYONE should be prepared.   I also know we aren't always as perpared as posssible but I based my original response on the facts provided. And I stand by it.  Unperpared for the bike and run fine, pull over and your done. Not so easy on the swim.

2007-06-08 2:51 PM
in reply to: #836507

User image

Elite
New City, New York

chi-fire - 2007-06-08 3:39 PM you are saying that you hate it when beginners get into the water unprepared.

Did I? huh,  cuda sworn I opined on one person's particular circumstances

2007-06-08 2:59 PM
in reply to: #836395

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,

BikerGrrrl - 2007-06-08 3:06 PM One more thing. A half mile is 880 yards. A standard pool is 25 yards in length, or 50 yards in a lap. That is only 17.6 laps to cover the distance. So before you freak out, determine the distance of the pool you can swim 20 laps in. You may find you are in good shape.

I am pretty certain that when the OP used the word "lap" she meant "length," since she referred to the distance as being about 35 laps...  35 x 25 = 875.

So her long swim has been about 500 yards, or just a little bit over half the race.

Is she prepared... probably not... does that mean she should not do the race?  I say no, she ought to give it a go.

2007-06-08 3:01 PM

User image

New user

I might have to agree with Rollinbones here. Doing the OWS when you can swim the same distance in the pool is already tough enough. If you've only done half the swim and it was some time ago, I'm a bit concerned for you out in the OW. As said above, if you decide to do it, wait until everyone is off, start off extremely slow and find your pace. Nerves, adrenaline and cold and choppy water are gonna be trying to knock the breath out of you (that's the difference from the pool). Don't worry about staying in freestyle the whole way. You'll see all kinds of strokes out there. Good luck with your decision and good luck in the race if you decide to go for it.
2007-06-08 3:06 PM
in reply to: #836567

User image

Thanks for everyones input so far. I appreciatte your support and advice. Still not sure though. Perhaps I am looking past the reality due to the fact that I am so excited to take part in my first tri. New Leaf is right about me swimming lengths and not laps. I can probably push myself to do more if I have to. I have also heard that there are a lot of support at the Danskin triathlons and that is why I thought that just mabey I should give it a try. There are also a couple of triathlons coming up in about a month but nothing that sounds as nice as the Danskin.

Ouch, Rollerboy...that is some hard words, but I appreciate your honesty. Sometimes one has to hear that.

You are all amazing people. I am so glad I found this site.

I am still open to any thoughts any of you might have.

Thanks again!!!

2007-06-08 3:14 PM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.

So, you've already signed up? And paid money, right? The water is definitely something you don't want to mess around with, but I'm thinking, if you decide to do this, you probably won't be the only one out there who hasn't put in the time on the swim.

But, maybe more importantly, what's your background? Can you sidestroke/breast stroke/backstroke if you need to? Are you competitive? Can you handle being slow, etc. on the swim?

2007-06-08 3:17 PM
in reply to: #836581

User image

Elite
New City, New York

Gogga - 2007-06-08 4:06 PM  Ouch, Rollerboy...that is some hard words, but I appreciate your honesty. Sometimes one has to hear that.

Rollerboy, that's funny!  didn't mean to be harsh, just a realist. despite chi's claim I do not profess to be an expert in any anything. I do speak from experience and having a panic attack in the water is a very scary thing. I would think being unprepared may lead to just that. If that were the case and was combined with your lack of overall training the  ramifications could be serious.

I wish you all the best, whichever you decide. 

2007-06-08 3:19 PM
in reply to: #836605

User image

I am an average swimmer. I just want to finish the race thats all. Most comfortable style is front crawl, backstroke, breast stroke.

Yep, everything is paid. I am just trying to decide if I should go to be a spectator or if I will be OK by attempting to compete
2007-06-08 3:24 PM
in reply to: #836613

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
rollinbones - 2007-06-08 4:17 PM

I do speak from experience and having a panic attack in the water is a very scary thing. I would think being unprepared may lead to just that. If that were the case and was combined with your lack of overall training the ramifications could be serious.  the worst that will happen is that you will DNF.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Concerned about first triathlon on Sunday Rss Feed  

of 3