Team Mossman
80F / 27C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 28m 49s
Overall Rank = 16/215
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/29
Pre-race routine:

Left the house at 4:30am, arrived at 5:30. Set everything up, hit the portoilet, and just made sure I didn't forget anything.
Event warmup:

Went for a 1 mile warmup run and did a quick spin on the bike in the parking lot to put it in the right gear, check things out, etc...
Swim
  • 29m 59s
  • 2024 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

I got pounded when the swim start. I recall one good kick to my shoulder, and a few hits to the back of the head. I think the current was bunching everyone up. After reaching the first buoy it thinned out a bit, thankfully.

I thought I kept a decent pace going throughout but who knows. Didn't feel fatigued coming out of the water, but definitely had to work in those conditions. As I ran up the beach, I remember saying out loud "now that was interesting!"
What would you do differently?:

Who the heck knows. I just went with the flow and swam. Tried to just stay focused, stay positive and deal with whatever comes at me!
Transition 1
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

Just like the duathlon, I didn't exactly rush the transition. Wetsuit came off no problem, quickly swished the sand off my feet, put socks and cycling shoes on, and off I went.

Nothing really. Definitely could have sped up the transition but I didn't rush anything.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 26s
  • 26.8 miles
  • 20.50 mile/hr
Comments:

Tried to ride a steady pace on each loop. Only came out of the big ring on the longer inclines but then right back, so that was good. On my second loop I spotted Peggy B. on the side of the road, only person I knew down there. So I checked on her and she said she was good. On my third loop I saw her walking her bike back to the transition, felt bad. But I give her lots of credit, I spotted her again during the run leg, so she must have walked back and decided to do the run anyways. Good for her!

With a mile or two to go on the bike, I went thru an area where I could see the leaders already running. They were likely 20 minutes ahead of me. Even though they were WAY out front, I saw their run pace and immediately felt the competitiveness start to bubble, and just wanted to put my running shoes on. I got all fired up and was thinking "I could take those guys!!" Even though I couldn't, it was kind of funny thinking back.

Only thing I can think of is to be able to ride at a faster overall pace on the bike. Training, training, training!!
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Racked the bike ok and laced up the racing flats, no real transition problems. It was so muggy out I decided to take off the shirt as well. As I headed out of transition, I had to stop and adjust the ankle chip. With all the rain during the bike it slid down underneath my sock and was rubbing my ankle as I started to run. So I redid that and took off.

Again, I think I'm definitely holding back on transitions. Just not rushing anything. The shirt and ankle chip thing slowed me down for sure, but all went well.
Run
  • 36m 41s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 05m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I was pretty fired up to run. I'm always hungry to pass those that passed me on the bike, and I was aiming to post one of the top run splits. The duathlon had 5K runs, this was a 10K, so I was a bit unsure as to what pace I could hold consistently. So I just went with what felt like a strong pace but yet comfortable. According to my watch, my splits were as follows:
Mile 1: 5:33
Mile 2: 6:02
Mile 3: 5:52
Mile 4: 5:58
Mile 5: 5:58
Mile 6: 5:56
Mile .2: 1:20

Looks like the third place overall guy clocked a faster time, and someone in the relay division. This is why I'm not a huge fan of wave starts and courses with loops, if I had a sense that I was 16th overall and closing in quickly, I definitely would have pushed the pace harder and closed the gap even more. Oh well!

Quite happy I was able to keep the pace under 6:00's. Felt pretty good from a cardio standpoint when finishing so that's a good thing. With the wave start and all the loops, I had no idea where I finished so I wasn't quite running with that all out mindset, just tried to run strong, feel good, continue to learn and enjoy the race!
Post race
Warm down:

Short jog. Had to rush back for Austin's soccer game. My boy scored his first goal of the season!!!!! I was jumping around like a proud dad, it was awesome. He did one of those "fist-clinch" moves, I could tell he was totally psyched. Love that kid...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing really. Overall, race went well. Felt good throught and felt like I had fuel in the tank when finishing. I think this IM training is really helping. I just hope I'm doing enough training for the big one!!

By comparison to the top 20 finishers, I see I'm really goofing around in the transition area. Think it's time I change gears and start treating these transitions as part of the race itself.

Event comments:

I give credit to the race directors for dealing with that tough swim situation. Their stress levels must have been through the roof having to change it all up on the fly like that. Volunteers were great. Not thrilled with the bike course with all those damn turns, one poor guy crashed.

Last updated: 2007-05-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:59 | 2024 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/29
Overall: 61/215
Performance: Average
Suit: QR Hydrofull
Course: Tough to say. Swim was rerouted due to fog and safety. Swim time includes running the beach between swim legs, and running up the beach and across the parking lot to the transition area. Current seemed pretty strong, and the swells weren't huge but was definitely rockin' up and down.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:03
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:18:26 | 26.8 miles | 20.50 mile/hr
Overall: 43/215
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 3 loops of roughly 8.5 each. No major climbs, but a few longer-type inclines. TONS of "S" turns, and u'turns which really slowed things down. It was drizzling off and on so the roads seemed pretty slippery, especially when by the water with the sand and all.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:36:41 | 06.21 miles | 05m 55s  min/mile
Overall: 3/215
Performance: Good
Course: 2 loop course. No major hills, just one long incline on each loop.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-06-09 2:37 PM

User image

Regular
Bristol, CT
Subject: Health Net Mossman Triathlon

2007-06-09 2:51 PM
in reply to: #837229

User image

Master
CT
Subject: RE: Health Net Mossman Triathlon
Great job Jay! Geez, any time you think you may have lost on the swim or the bike or in your transitions, you def got back on that sick run. You are wicked fast in the sneaks!! I am guessing you didnt hang around long enough to get your finish time, but glad you got to see your son's goal—that's the stuff right there!
2007-06-10 6:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Downers Grove
Great Race! And to think you're in full IM training mode too! Congratulations.
2007-06-11 9:45 AM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Really, Jay - that is an incredible race there!  I can't believe your 10K time!!  I think you missed your calling   Great job and I know you are totally ready to kick some butt at the Ironman race.
2007-06-11 10:58 AM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Awesome job there - This was a tough race. You were 12 minutes ahead of me I noticed you put your self down for 1st place is this because the guys in our age group came 1st and 2nd overall. I came 7th overall but 5th according to the race summary at the bottom. Interested to know.....Btw you had an awesome race. I agree with your summation the swim was a free for all......and the biek was a disaster with how slippery it was...
2007-06-14 9:27 AM

User image

Expert
Welcome to Super Mario World
Awesome job. Look forward to racing you at Lake T #2.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Health Net Mossman Triathlon Rss Feed