Mystic, Connecticut
United States
Mystic YMCA
Total Time = 1h 25m 11s
Overall Rank = 8/51
Age Group = 35-39F
Age Group Rank = 2/14
Pre-race routine:

Went in a little tired. I had a criterium last night and didn't get home until about 9pm. Didn't get enough sleep either.

Got up at 5am, loaded the car, had some cereal, and headed out.
Event warmup:

Two hits on the albuterol inhaler, then into the water to Swim a little before the start. Just enough to not be shocked when I jumped in for the event start.
Swim
  • 19m 43s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt good. I wasn't working as hard as I could, but I was relaxed and consistent. The pace is probably an underestimate as the course was long.
What would you do differently?:

Sight better. Work a little harder.
Transition 1
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

I was a little lackadaisical in the transition, but it was pretty smooth.
Bike
  • 42m 8s
  • 14.4 miles
  • 20.51 mile/hr
Comments:

I kept a moderate but steady pace with easy breathing and just slowly picked people off. I didn't work at "time trial" effort, it was more like a steady training ride pace. I was very cognizant of wanting to reserve something for the run given my state of fitness (inadequate rest and a chest cold). I think it was a good choice. I moved up a lot of places anyway, but didn't waste too much energy. Typically, I get passed on the run by some of the women I previous passed on the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Hard call. I took a conservative approach, but I have no regrets about it.
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

I wasn't rushing but it was pretty smooth.
Run
  • 21m 23s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt fine. I felt a little sluggish at first, but settled in about halfway there. Coming back, my lungs were burning, but my legs felt good.

For once, I wasn't passed on the run!
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I approached it as a training/fun race so I didn't prepare myself to be peak. More rest and a more aggressive approach would have resulted in a faster time. I don't know if it would have made a huge difference in my standings though.

Swimming is definitely a weakness. I think I was twenty-something back out of the water and probably close to 10 minutes behind the leader.

Event comments:

I love this race. It's well-run, well-organized, the volunteers are fantastic, the food is great, and they even had a band.

As I recall from last year, the swim is a little longer than they say and the run is a little shorter (and dead flat).

Last updated: 2007-06-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:43 | 880 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 117/51
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Triangular course, the water was nice and flat, but very murky. They underestimated the distance of the swim course. Someone told me that it was measured at 950meters, which sounds closer.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:13
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:08 | 14.4 miles | 20.51 mile/hr
Overall: 48/51
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Nice rolling course, decent, but not great road condition. The first half has some gradual ascending, the second half rides fast.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:21:23 | 03 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Overall: 83/51
Performance:
Course: Very flat out and back. Also, shorter than it's measured at.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-06-10 1:37 PM

User image

Master
Connecticut
Subject: Mystic River Valley Triathlon

2007-06-10 7:49 PM
in reply to: #837670

User image

Master
CT
Subject: RE: Mystic River Valley Triathlon
nice race! you are smokin' fast on the bike AND the run! congrats on the 2nd place AG award!
2007-06-10 7:53 PM

User image

Expert
Oak Ridge,
Great race especially considering what you did the previous night and your approch to this as a fun/training race.  Congrats on bringing home some hardware.   I think you're right about the run being short.  My turnaround for some of my long slow runs is at the Marina.  Not sure how far in they take your before turning around but when I've had my Garmin on I clock ~ 2 1/2 miles or so RT from the Y. 
2007-06-11 9:47 AM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Kim:

Missed getting the chance to say Hi yesterday. Every time I noticed you (the "Barbie girl" descriptor works!), you were socializing with someone and I didn't want to interrupt.

I experienced the age-old lesson first hand: No changes on race day!

I bought a wetsuit from Job Lot for $35. Took it home and tried it on. I wore it Sunday without ever having swum in a wetsuit. I simply couldn't catch my breath. All winter, I trained in a way too warm pool and couldn't swim in the river. After some panic subsided (thanks to reading this board I knew you could get through it), I managed to get finished. I might have been better off toughing it out in my Speedo.

I too picked off places on the bike; never has "on your left" been that much fun!

Look at my times (finished 101, bib #960) versus yours. Shows you how critical T1 and T2 can be to your placing.

Nice to virtually meet you and thanks for the advice and support!

Dave

Edited by pitt83 2007-06-11 9:56 AM
2007-06-11 6:10 PM

User image

Master
Connecticut

Thanks guys!

Aaron, they had us run up the dead end street to the left of the marina. The start and finish was at the very back of the driveway nearest the water.

Bummer about the suit Dave!  I'm sorry I missed you.  You definitely should have interrupted me to say hello.  Based on the above, I found you in the standings and you are right about the huge time difference in transitions. There is only 5 minutes difference in our finish time, and two whole minutes of that came from the transitions.  Tightening up the T times will bring you big gains in the upcoming tris, I'm guessing.

2007-06-11 6:33 PM
in reply to: #839834

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Glad to see your a roadie as well. That's my strong sport for tri. I ususlly prefer road races and hate crits. Too sketchy; too fast and I kill myself chasing onn and getting shelled. Actually, cyclocross is my passion. If you haven't, you should. It's what I call "cyclists crack"; one hit and you're hooked.

You can se my run isn't supremly quick! But, breaking 8:00 yesterday is a PR if indeed the course is 3.0 miles.

I had a bit of a head-rush in T1. I needed to get my together before heading out on the bike. A Clif shot, some Albuterol and a change of clothes put me right. I was happy that ~1/2 the bikes were still racked when I got there. If I tried to shave a minute yesterday, I doubt I could have then. Another day definately.

I'll find you next time; either Niantic or Zanes (other ideas?). Considering the Madison Extrememan in September, but am really unsure if I can ditch a prior engagement that weekend.

2007-06-11 8:56 PM

User image

Master
Connecticut

I'm the opposite of you on the bike Dave: I'm a much better crit rider than I am a road racer or a time trialist.  Plus, I just think criteriums are fun. I probably would love cyclocross too. It's all good, as far as I'm concerned.

Niantic is nice. I'll probably register for that and maybe one of the local one's near me like Zanes or Hammerfest. I did a couple of the Lake T tris last year too and plan to at least get out to a couple of them again this year. Depending on how my cycling season goes, I may do the Bridgeport Oly. No Extrememan for me, but it does sound like a cool race and it's right in my neighborhood.

Edited by dredwards 2007-06-11 9:08 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mystic River Valley Triathlon Rss Feed