Rochester Orienteering Club
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 11s
Overall Rank = 1/11
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Rob and I ran as a team in the Rochester Orienteering Club's first, but hopefully not last, "Adventure Run" at Mendon Ponds Park. There were 11 teams, 20+ people. Some people ran it alone. I drank a good amount of an energy drink and water before the race. My biggest decision was whether or not to wear the legs on my zip-off pants. I decided to wear the camelback since Rob was going to be navigating most of it. I thought it was the least I could do!
Event warmup:

We got to the race about an hour before start time (race began at 1). We hung out and talked to some people we knew. Ed Schultz from Naz Master's swimming was there with his niece and her boyfriend. It was their first ever orienteering event!

With about 1/2 hour to start we did a warm-up run and stretched. I was very hot after that so decided to bag the legs on my pants. At 15 min to start there was a mandatory race meeting to explain some of the rules and the format of the race. With a couple of minutes left to start, the maps were handed out, but we were not allowed to look at them. Once everyone had a map we could look. We only had a minute or two to plan before it started.
Swim
  • 06m 30s
  • 1 meters
  • 13h 53m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

We purposely ran the Stage 1 trail run at as fast of a pace as we could. We knew that we had an advantage over a lot of the orienteers if we got out in front of them on the run segment. It was a very tough trail run, but it was luckily a short one. I don't think there is a trail in the entire park that isn't difficult. The only "rule" for this part of the race was that teams must stay together.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Trail run went right into Stage 2.
Bike
  • 53m 33s
  • 4.62 miles
  • 5.18 mile/hr
Comments:

The only control we (Rob) had difficulty finding was the very first one. We just overshot the area we had to be in. I think Rob was trying to NOT follow one of the competitors, so much so that we got thrown off. Once we found the first one we got into more of a groove. #2 was pretty close afterwards. I remember wondering how 2-3 other teams got to #2 BEFORE us, but we spent way too much time at #1.

To get to #3, it was our first real route choice. (This is where we could have swam across 100 Acre Pond). The 2 actual route choices were to either go west or east around the pond. We chose west, and it turned out that about 1/2 of the teams chose that direction. It was up for some "lively" debate afterwards on which was the better choice. Ours was, of course! This direction led us into quite a swampy area, though. I said goodbye to my nice white Brooks running shoes. We had to run through ankle deep muddy water. I was pretty muddy and pretty pissed that I had to run the rest of the race with wet feet. It was soon after we found #3 and were headed off to #4 that I had to vent a little and let fly some nice language... (i.e. I can't believe the "*#$%" pace we're keeping - so freaking fast - my "@*$%" feet are wet, we are running through woods and "@#%&" thorns, so now my legs are cut and "*&#@" bleeding, and I should have kept my "*&#%@" pant legs on, so on and so forth... :) After this short episode, I was able to relax some and finally seemed to find a pace that was good for both of us.

I don't remember all of the details of each control point. I do know that after #4, we never saw another competitor again. I wasn't sure if that was good or bad. At #6 I actually decided to eat a gel. YUCK! I really thought I could use it, though. I took rstocks3 advice to jackjack that Powerbar vanilla was a good flavor. As I was eating it I reminded myself of those people you see on Survivor or Fear Factor - I closed my eyes, and took my first big gulp and started breathing deeply and groaning in a dull deep voice to keep from barfing. I couldn't look at the stuff at all. I had to take 3 gulps to get it all down. It did in a way remind me of cake frosting - really, really warm slimy cake frosting. But it was better than any other I've had in recent memory. Drank a lot of water afterwards to wash it down.

We did mostly off trail running. Which meant a lot of jumping over logs and branches, dodging eye gouging branches, running through tall, scratchy grasses, etc, etc... I was really in awe of Rob the entire time at how well he can navigate and make route decisions and still be running at a good clip. He really is good at this sport!

Once we found #9, it was a long stretch to #10. We walked for a minute or so at this point to talk about how we would divide up the Stage 3 labyrinth course that came after we finished Stage 2. This long run to the final control in Stage 2 was very tough. My legs were toast. I also had to stop at a porta-potty on the way. I tried to drink as much as possible during this segment of the race.

What would you do differently?:

Not much other than get more comfortable with reading maps. Reading maps while running and while you are oxygen deprived is very tough. I was physically prepared for this race, but if I want to not just be a "running partner" I need to do more orienteering.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Stage 2 goes right into Stage 3.
Run
  • 20m 3s
  • 1.41 miles
  • 14m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Rob and I had made the decision to split up. I would get controls #20, 21, 16, and 23, in that order and then meet at a point near #24, the final point. Rob would get #'s 18, 17, 14, 19 and 15, in that order. Rob knew exactly which controls and what order I should do them in, and he was right on! They were easy enough and close enough together for my experience level, and his were more difficult, thus better for him. I was worried about going off on my own. The map was pretty detailed, though. I had to follow an old rock fence and then veer off to the left, and, lo and behold, there it was! I found the first one fairly easily, and then became more confident with each one. But, I knew better than to run any of this too fast. I took it nice and easy and only ran when I was sure of where I was going. The second one was at the top of a knoll, the 3rd was at the edge of a small pond, and the last one was a little trickier, but I found it in the middle of a spur. I found the 4 points quickly and Rob and I met up with perfect timing. It couldn't have gone any better! We both punched #24 then set off on the trail to the finish line. We ran as hard as we could the entire way to the finish!
What would you do differently?:

I am pretty proud of how well I executed the 4 controls on my own! If I did more orienteering I'd be much more confident at it.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat down and caught my breath for a minute, then walked around and got some water. We were the absolute FIRST team to show up!!! It was 16 minutes before the next person showed up! We joked about how glad we were that we pushed it sooooo hard at the end... ;)

Event comments:

It's the very first time ROC has put on an event like this. It was good it was small this time around. Mostly ROC members showed up, or members from nearby clubs. I think the only group running without any orienteering experience was Ed's team! We finished in 1 hour 20 minutes. At 2 hours 45 minutes, Ed's group showed up!! I was starting to get worried. I kept looking with anticipation at the corner they were supposed to be rounding. The meet director finally decided to hand out the awards. About 1/2 way through that, Ed and his team finally showed up - and with SMILES on their faces!! They said they had a great time! And I believed them! They really thought it was fun. I guess they had some trouble in the labyrinth when they split up (about a 1/2 hour set-back), but otherwise they did well. I was so so glad that they had a positive experience. I think everyone there was waiting on pins and needles for them to come back to see what they thought. I think this could be a really popular race with some time and more experience on ROC's part in putting on something like this.

Last updated: 2007-06-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:30 | 01 meters | 13h 53m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/11
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Start was at Hopkins Point Lodge. We ran from the lodge, across the field to a trail that wound through the woods. It was uphill the first half, and down hill the last half to a road. From the road, Stage 1 ended and Stage 2 - the o-course - began.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:53:33 | 04.62 miles | 5.18 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Stage 2 was a typical orienteering course. There were 10 controls and you had to go from 1 to 2 to 3... Each team member was required to punch their own punch card. We had to run together. The route to get to each control point was up to the team members, though.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:03 | 01.41 miles | 14m 13s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Stage 3 was called the Labyrinth. The rules were that teams must enter at control point #10 and exit at control #24 together, where both members must punch their cards. Teams could split up to get 9 out of the 11 controls in the labyrinth. From here, proceed to finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-10 8:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Subject: ROC Adventure Run

2007-06-11 10:36 AM
in reply to: #838027

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: ROC Adventure Run
I cannot imagine you cussing standing in the middle of the woods.  Rob should have provided videotape evidence!  Sounds like you had fun and that is what matters. Congratulations on the victory!
2007-06-11 10:49 AM
in reply to: #838027

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: ROC Adventure Run
Congrats on a great race! And yes, I agree with Ken! The tirade would have been MUCH fun to witness!!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ROC Adventure Run Rss Feed