Age Group Rank = 3/11
Pre-race routine:

Warmed up in the 16c Ocean
Swim
  • 20m 9s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

First open water, first wet-suit swim. As a swim-clubber I just wasnt really prepared and didnt gain as much time on the field as I would have liked. I managed to come second out of the water, first guy was 2:30 minutes ahead (swum faster than all the Elites...Potts included) and then there was me, followed by the main pack 1minute back. I was panicking a bit in the water because I was all alone and had to do all the sighting myself and I couldnt for the life of me see the next Buoy. I ripped my goggles off and had them around my neck and just swum it bare face. Not such a good idea but I was gaining time on the rest of the people, so I knew I had to just endure the pain. I will be looking to gain experience in open water and hopefully gain even more time on the rest of the field.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 59m 33s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 25.04 mile/hr
Comments:

Got on my bike and hammered away, trying to eat into the advantage of the first place person. I managed to come out with the 3rd fastest bike split of the day and stay right in contention for a second/third place overall, if my run would come together. I managed to break an hour, so I thought I would be breaking 2hrs for sure.

Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 57m 30s
  • 8.7 miles
  • 06m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Slipped my runners on and for some reason the insoles folded under my feet but I didnt want to take the time to fix them. It was supposed to be a 4lap, out and back course...so I figured I would take the discomfort and save the time. Running is my weak spot and I knew I needed every second in order to keep my 2nd overall (which I was in at the moment). I took off and ran and ran and ran. With 1.5 laps to go, I got caught by one guy and with just under a lap to go, 2 others passed me. I kept trying to push myself...to the extent that I started getting tunnel vision but I couldnt lose my placing, I just didnt want to! I managed to hold on to whatever I had and barely made it to the finish line, about to pass out. My feet were so blistered and sore that I could not walk.
Post race
Event comments:

Interesting thing is, the run course was way too long, between 14-15k...as opposed to the standard 10k. I have to blame myself for not dedicating more time to running but if the race-directors had measured the course properly I know I would have been able to hold on to my 3rd place overall. Obviously, my lack of run training cost me a lost of spots and it didnt help that it was closing in on a half-marathon distance run course!

I managed to come is as 6th overall and 3rd in my Age-Category but first Canadian in my age-category. Over the next year, I will be training very specifically to improve my run and with hopes that they fix the long course, I really hope to earn my home-country, in my home-city the gold for my age-category.

Last updated: 2007-06-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:09 | 1640 yards | 01m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 2/155
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 16C / 61F Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:59:33 | 24.85 miles | 25.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 3/155
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:57:30 | 08.7 miles | 06m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 0/155
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-06-10 9:00 PM

User image

Vancouver, BC
Subject: Vancouver BG World Cup
Fix the run course!

Edited by ancientdude 2007-06-10 9:01 PM

2007-06-10 11:26 PM
in reply to: #838091

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Subject: RE: Vancouver BG World Cup
Nice job dude! Very strong swim despite the few mishaps, and a great bike too. Just work a bit on the run and you'll definitely be at least fighting for that top spot!! Way to make us BC BT'ers proud!!
2007-06-11 11:09 AM
in reply to: #838091

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-06-11 11:23 AM
in reply to: #838944

Vancouver, BC
Subject: RE: Vancouver BG World Cup
No, the elites and the age-groupers ran a different course.

Age-groupers ran 4 laps, out and back along the sea wall (from second beach), while the elites ran along the sea-wall by beach Ave, west side of stanley park.

By the way, for those interested:

Age-group results - http://sportstats.ca/display-results.php?lang=eng&racecode=42014

Edited by ancientdude 2007-06-11 11:24 AM
2007-06-11 11:29 AM
in reply to: #838986

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vancouver BG World Cup Rss Feed