Event Power
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 20m 12s
Overall Rank = 150/500
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This is my third triathlon. I ran two sprints last year and decided to try the olympic distance. I had been training out in Montauk and had done my own versions of the bike and run segment. I think being familiar with the nature of the course was helpful. The week of the event I tried to get a good sleep each night and did not drink any alcohol. The day of the event I had 1 1/2 power bars and a couple of cliff's blocks.
Event warmup:

About an hr before event I did about 1 mile hard on the bike, and then 15 mins b4 start swam about 100 yds hard. I got my HR up to 145 or so on both warm-ups. With past events I had difficulty early in teh swim until I got breathing normalized (obviously still learning). I think the warm-up really helped.
Swim
  • 24m 46s
  • 1750 yards
  • 01m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

Was a little strange that you could not see the full distanced due to the fog. The only thing to do was follow the rest and swim as hard as I could. The clarity of the water was good and becuase it was so shallow I could see the bottom and judge my pace (I had swam in the lake before)
What would you do differently?:

I would only try to get in more swimming sessions and focus more on speed - most of my 1/wk swimming was 60 mins - I was mainly concerned about endure. I just didn't have the time to work in a second swim during the week where I could focus more on speed. I hope to add i the second session before I get too close to my next race.
Transition 1
  • 03m 30s
Comments:

long run from lake to bike racks.
Bike
  • 57m 37s
  • 22 miles
  • 22.91 mile/hr
Comments:

I was familar with the hills and was well prepared with my gear changes. Note this was the first time I racesw ith a road bike. My other races last year were with a mountain bike and I had one heck of a time keeping up most of the good bikers. I bought a new road bike over the winter, had them put on the bars and the cadence/speed/od. I tried to keep my cad at 80 switching gears frequently and tried to keep speed at least 20 mph. I noticed on some of the downhill parts my speed (as well that of others in the pack) was bet 35-40 mph!!!

Happy with the bike segment, just need to put in more time to build stamina. Since this was my first olympic tri, I didn't understand how much I could push versus save energy for the run part. One good tip i got about 2 months b4 the event, I was told to focu on cad versus speed. I was having some back pains about 40 mins into a a bike training session, but once I learned to ease up on the gears instead of peddling too hard my back pains went away. That tidbit of adv helped me so much!
Transition 2
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

I don't have bike shoes, just my running shoes. I just hbopped off the bike, racked it and took my helmet off. I actually lost about 10 secs as I didn't know where the gate was for the run at first.

Note the entr and exit for the trans.
Run
  • 53m 42s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile

I just need more time training for the run. I have to put in more intensity/speed sessions and I need to get my legs better used to transitioning into the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not having enough experience in an olympic-length race. Now that I have a better idea of how it is I think I cna develop a better training routine.

Event comments:

Again, this is my first time running this event and this distance. It was fine for me. Hope to have more meaningful comments when I get in some more races

Last updated: 2007-06-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:46 | 1750 yards | 01m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 150/500
Performance: Good
HR in the 140-150 range. I puhsed a little harder the last 100 yds or so and it was 152 when I got out of the water. I still felt good enough to run quickly to the bike racks.
Suit: 3/2 surfing wetsuit
Course: Very foggy, straight up and back.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:30
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: