Set-Up, LLC
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 56m 11s
Overall Rank = 161/163
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Picked up my packet the day before and drove the bike course. It is a good thing because I got lost trying to find the race site. I am usually at the end of the race and feel I can't trust the race directors to make sure us slow people know where we are going. So I am trying to make sure I am really familiar with the courses from now on so I don't get lost while racing. If I had not gone up before the race I would have been late and very stressed so this was a very good thing for me to do.
Event warmup:

This tri was all about me getting my mind right.
Swim
  • 18m 51s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 31s / 100 meters
What would you do differently?:

Not forget my goggles. Swim more. Practice in open salt water more.

Consider a wet suit, although I wonder if any speed I gained in the swim would be lost trying to remove the wet suit.
Transition 1
  • 05m 48s
Comments:

Well I didn't take my suit off because, hey, its a sprint tri. I thought I had dried off pretty well until I tried to put my dri-fit shirt on. I promptly got it rolled up into a ball between my shoulder blades and I couldn't dislodge it. After jumping around for like 2 or 3 minutes I had to ask someone to help me. My shoes went on great. I was ready to go.

Put my shoes on first. Put my shirt on second. Dry off better. I was really doing good until that shirt messed me up.
Bike
  • 49m 39s
  • 13.5 miles
  • 16.31 mile/hr
Comments:

The road was a bit pocked but it was an easy course so I am not complaining. The swim kinda pooped me out a bit and I was slow on the hills. I used my MP3 player even though they were being really strict. I figured that I am not in any kind of group of riders, I have a rear-view mirror and I keep the volume low. I did hide it on the way in though.

Calm down at the beginning. Take the first mile to maybe chill a bit and relax.
Transition 2
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

Well here is where things went a bit awry. I know that you run out the opposite end of where you bike in. I somehow forgot this though and ran out where I biked in. Being close to last no one else was running out so I didn't see other runners to follow. Also, no volunteers were there to point me in the right direction. The transition wasn't entirely clear but I should have known this. In the future I will add checking out the transition area thoroughly to my pre-race overview.

Run out the right rabbit hole. Other than that I did really good on this transition. I hope the results don't show me as having a 50 minute transition but I bet they will.
Run
  • 39m 47s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

One of the nice things about being at the end is that all the people coming back as I am running out say encouraging things. 22 people encouraged me today just on the run. Very nice.

One old bat who was running in and was probably 1.5 miles ahead of me felt the need to inform me that my headset wasn't allowed. I told her everything was going to be okay. I am probably 5th or 6th to last, there is no one around me for MILES either on the bike or the run. I keep the volume low enough that I can hear myself breathing, I can hear someone's normal voice from at least 5 feet away and I can hear traffic. If they penalize me 2 minutes or 5 minutes I really don't care because I AM NOT GOING TO WIN. I just wonder why she felt the need to try and police me in the middle of the race when I am so far behind her that I am irrelevant to her. Maybe she wishes she was wearing her own MP3 player. Wearing mine increases my enjoyment at least 50%.

Bring my running shoes.

Buy that old lady an MP3 player.
Post race
Warm down:

Starbuck's iced venti sugar free vanilla soy latte with a Rice Krispie treat.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, not paying attention in the transition, being too wet to put my shirt on.

Event comments:

Again, I wish the organizers would try to take care of us back of the pack people a bit better. I will say that this race did have all of their volunteers still out on the bike course and the run was very clear and easy. I just had a brain collapse in the transition and wish someone could have pointed it out to me. Oh well, it just makes me look like I ran my race at a minute faster than normal pace.

I am really happy and I will do this race again.

Last updated: 2007-06-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:51 | 750 meters | 02m 31s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 145/163
Performance: Good
This includes the time it took me to get into the transition and stop at my bike. I got out of the water at 19 minutes or so. I think I did pretty good because I haven't swam much lately. Also I had forgotten my goggles in Richmond so I had a new pair I hadn't tried out and luckily, they worked. I finally remembered to spit in my goggles and it was great because there was zero fogging up. YAY.
Suit:
Course: This was my first beach start and my first salt water swim and my first swim with that much chop. It was a lot harder than a lake but my time wasn't off by that much considering. Maybe 3 minutes faster in the lake/pool. But hard to say since I haven't done much swimming lately. Anyway, I always get really amped up before the swim and my adrenaline seems to really go in the swim. I got kicked quite a lot which adds to the rush. Overall, it was slightly harder than I expected but I did well within what I reasonably expected. Once I calmed down I had a really decent rhythm and actually navigated really well. My breathing settled down too.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:48
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:49:39 | 13.5 miles | 16.31 mile/hr
Overall: 157/163
Performance:
Not sure exactly about the time but it is pretty close. I was still really amped up from the swim and it took me about 4 miles to calm down. This seemed like a long time to calm down, probably because it has been a while. I had 2 gels and was glad to have them. I wore my little camel back and was glad to have it too. Very nice ride, not too hard. I think in the last 2 weeks or so I have made a major breakthrough on my biking and so I was eager to see how I would do. I think I was a lot faster with a lot less effort. I learned something on changing my gears that finally clicked into place for me and I think I am going to rock my bike a lot better from now on. Except on hills.
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:09
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:39:47 | 03.11 miles | 12m 47s  min/mile
Overall: 158/163
Performance: Good
Well because I didn't go out the right way I probably only ran about 2.8 miles or so. Along with my goggles, I forgot my running shoes so I had to wear my old running shoes without my orthotics or Polar foot pod. So I have no idea how far I really went or how fast. I would say I usually am closer to a 14 minute mile than 13 minute. My legs were really great after the bike. I felt really good and my heart rate stayed really steady. Overall I feel I rocked the run.
Course: Very nice run. There were 2 big fat hills and I gave myself permission to walk up them. I am glad I did because I didn't really suffer at all the entire race. This is the first time I have had this sort of enlightened attitude about trying hard but not at the expense of having fun. I can say this really really helped me on the run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-11 12:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Yorktown Sprint

2007-06-11 8:10 AM
in reply to: #838292

User image

Extreme Veteran
Latonia, Kentucky (near Cincinnati)
Subject: RE: Yorktown Sprint
YEA SUSAN!!!!!! Good to see you back at it. Nothing like a triathlon to reorganize the brain cells and tune the heart. You did a great job, shoes, mp3 player and wrong rabbit hole combined!!!!! You write wonderfully as well!
2007-06-11 9:03 AM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Great job and congrats!  That was a fun race.    Sorry we missed each other out there.
2007-06-11 9:05 AM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
congratulations! i enjoyed reading your report!
2007-06-11 9:05 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Nice job!!! Congrats on a good race.

Kristen
2007-06-12 6:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Yippee!!!!!!  Back on the tri track, eh?  Sounds like you had a really fun race.  So happy to hear the race got you back into thinking about doing more tri's.     

2007-06-12 7:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Nice report and fun to read.  I'm also a "back of the packer" and was out there with you.  Your right about the encouragment, it was super!
2007-06-12 9:03 AM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Great job and great RR.  You're not the only person who ran out of the wrong rabbit hole!! I had to cut in after the bike dismount in between all the spectators!
2007-06-12 1:09 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Great race! Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet. Next time for sure.
2007-06-14 4:12 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Susan, your a crack up

Sounds like you had a blast out there and Phooey on that lady for giving you grief about running with music.

You did rock the run and it sounds like brick workouts have almost eliminated the dead leg syndrome. It also sounds like you did really well on the swim. (Short period wind swell is really a killer for swim times)

I am so glad that you got out there and made this race happen.

Good On Ya

2007-06-15 6:17 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Awesome job!  Congrats on doing the race your own way!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Yorktown Sprint Rss Feed