Palmetto State Triathlon Series
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 29m 13s
Overall Rank = 185/192
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Camped out at Lake Greenwood. It was hot all night so trying to sleep was tough since my fan crapped out at about 1am. Got out of the tent at 5am, about an hour after it cooled enough to sleep, made some coffee, had a bagel, and prepped for the walk over to transition.
Event warmup:

Set up my stuff. Hung out with Mindy C. and visitied with a couple of croonies. Met SuzanneS and her husband and wished I had about a month to talk fishing with him. Went for about a 10 minute jog and headed over to the swim start.
Swim
  • 54m 51s
  • 1640 yards
  • 03m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

This is where my race began and ended. I had a good start and felt comfortable. I was at the bop and was waiting for the females to overtake my slow butt when I hear all this commotion and screaming. I stopped to see what it was and it must have been someone in trouble. Heard later they were pulled out OK. So anyway I resume my swim, only severely off course. I swam darn near to the center of the second leg before I realized that the yellow buoy was a long way off to my RIGHT. I was following some others when I should have been looking into the sun myself. Anyway I swam back to and around the buoy. To their credit all the ladies who had made the same error appeared to swim back but it seemed that quite a few guys kept right on going. Now that would have really helped my swim time but you got to do it right.
What would you do differently?:

Not being able to see into the sun and following others who were equally as lost easily cost me about 15 minutes.
Transition 1
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

Spent a litlle time here just shaking off the bad juju from the swim. Reminded myself of goals, smiled, and hopped on my bike.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 11s
  • 24 miles
  • 18.42 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt I had a fairly good ride considering the swim effort. It was a little windy but I found the things that hampered my speed were: gear selection going into the hills and the rough road surface. During this ride I decided that I would not camp for the SC HIM. I just felt tired and the thought of a good nights sleep in an air conditioned hotel room in a nice bed really sounded good.
One highpoint of my ride was the water bottle handoff. I took it at about 20 mph. I purposely snatched the bottle from the guys hand pretty hard so as not to loose balance but I did it smoothly. As I grabbed it I thanked him. He rewarded me with a "that was awesome". Now that gave me something to smile about.

Hotel reservations.
Transition 2
  • 03m 40s
Comments:

No I didn't take a nap. Mindy C was in T-2 when I got there. She was having a tough day also. So we just sort of kicked back, took our time, got ready and jogged out together.
Run
  • 1h 10m 7s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Started the run with MC and we just sort of took it easy. I think both of us were feeling the effects of camping in the heat. I was beginning to wonder if we didn't start this thing dehydrated from sleeping in the heat. Anyway we jogged along, talked, tried to make jokes, just to make the miles pass. FofF had water and Cytomax at every mile. I always drink one and pour one down my back. After about 2 miles MC got to feeling really bad so I eased on alone. I was doing OK but the middle of the course is unshaded and it was getting a little warm. At mile 4 I was joined by KM who is a regular on the SCTS tour and a winner. She ran with me and it really helped those last two hot miles go by easily. WE talked the entire way. I mentioned to her the success of BT's very own barqhead and she had nothing but great things to say about Pam. She might as well since Pam will soon own this series. She ran with to the bottom of the hill at the Drummond center and I struggled up that little jewel to the finish. I immediately hit the cooldown shower, grabbed a cold drink and headed for transition for my stuff.

Hampton Inn
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fatigue. Dehydration.

Event comments:

Thanks for Dan and Mindy for supper Sat night. Dan is the champion chef de la Coleman camp stove. It was so nice to meet SuzanneS and DH and to run with Katie Malone.

Last updated: 2007-05-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:54:51 | 1640 yards | 03m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/192
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: Triangular
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:26
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:18:11 | 24 miles | 18.42 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Circuit
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:40
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:10:07 | 06.21 miles | 11m 17s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Single out and back.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-11 7:40 AM

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
Subject: Festival of Flowers Triathlon

2007-06-11 8:15 AM
in reply to: #838434

Regular
SC
Subject: RE: Festival of Flowers Triathlon
Way to shake off the rough swim. A few more (correctly placed) orange sight buoys sure would have been helpful. Jeremy has a sick sense of humor, I think.
2007-06-11 8:24 AM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
We can call you De Survivor Crackerman! Don't know if you've ever seen that "Survivorman" discovery channel show, but this guy makes due with like a pocketknife and a roll of toilet paper in the middle of nowhere for four days. You survived the rough night of camping, the choppy, poor visibility swim, a windy bike course and that god-awful hot, sunny run! Sorry we missed you this time. BTW, the only way I will own this series is if I pay someone to run for me

2007-06-11 9:21 AM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

Hey Cracker, Katie is my coach! Small world. I was so impressed when she came back out on the course and was encouraging others, she really is awesome and truly wins the sportsmanship award, if they had one.

Derek's brining the boat and is gonna fish while I do the half in Sept. A guy's got to have priorities, right?

2007-06-11 11:03 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

Are you sure you didn't take a nap in transition, Cracker? 

Great race.  Unbelievable fortitude to overcome the swim problems and finish the race strong!!!

2007-06-11 11:13 AM

User image

Master
Savannah,

Don't say I haven't been preachin against camping for a VERY long time.  And GREAT job sticking it out, Russ.  You are one tough cracker (see, like tough cookie, only I said cracker so it'd be funny).

2007-06-11 11:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Upstate South Carolina
I was right there with you and many other people heading off course on the swim. I figure I added between 2-4 minutes since I can average 2min/100m easy and I was at least 100m from the bouy when I finally saw people in front of me swimming perpendicular to me. I figure it effected me less then others since I wasn't going to be high in the standings anyway.
2007-06-11 12:14 PM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Great work, Russell! It was great to spend time with you on Saturday night and throughout the race. You did what I could not and finish after a miserable night camping and a run in the very hot sun. I hope we can race together again soon.
2007-06-11 8:21 PM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC

Excellent work shaking off the swim - lots of folks would have let that mess up their head really badly.

Good job, kiddo. 

2007-06-12 7:25 AM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Good for you for finishing strong despite a rough start and a lousy night's sleep.

2007-06-12 8:00 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Its got be be hard camping out and then trying to do a race.  I know how I feel when I have to get up early and drive a ways for a race.  At least you can be proud of yourself for not cheating the swim course.  Nice job.

2007-06-13 6:35 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Festival of Flowers Triathlon Rss Feed