HSBC
24C / 75F
Sunny
Total Time = 46m 8s
Overall Rank = 41/96
Age Group = 50-59
Age Group Rank = 1/7
Pre-race routine:

Like to get to race early to enjoy the atmosphere and be able to relax. There is more to the event than showing up, racing, and leaving. Got there about 8:00 and we were some of the 1st to set up in transition. Got registered; set up lawn chairs in a nice shady area and enjoyed the morning. Felt relaxed and not nervous.
Event warmup:

Did core performance Movement Prep around 9:30. Swam for 10 minutes or so around 9:45. Did some easy running for 3-4 minutes around 10:30. Ate quinoa at 9:10. Was going to use a gel pack before race but forgot to.
Swim
  • 07m 46s
  • 300 meters
  • 02m 35s / 100 meters
Comments:

Best swim ever. Felt confident. Started at front and people were passing me right away but after about 75 meters I could see masses of caps around me which gave me confidence knowing for the 1st time ever, I was keeping up. Good sighting. Stayed to the right of group and rounded the buoys good. After the 1st buoy was really passing people and after the 2nd buoy was pushing people out of the way.
What would you do differently?:

Not too much. Stood up a bit too soon when I saw people taking their wetsuits off. Swam some more until when I stood water was at my knees. Walked out of water to catch my breath before getting to transition. Will probably run next time.
Transition 1
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Had my shoes "open" and ready to get a running start; took my time and got my left foot into shoe but the shoe came off the pedal; got my shoe totally on and clipped into pedal, pushed off hard and got my right foot into my shoe right away, fairly easily.

Hope to learn how to use elastics to hold shoes in place.
Bike
  • 20m 46s
  • 10 kms
  • 28.89 km/hr
Comments:

Really happy with bike; best average speed yet.

Be careful changing from small chain ring to large; get better at mounting.
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

Dismount is quite good - smooth, and am comfortable with it. Didn't wear socks - don't need them.

Can't think of anything at this time. I did take an extra 15-25 seconds to drink some water because I wasn't taking my water belt.
Run
  • 14m 3s
  • 2 kms
  • 07m 01s  min/km
Comments:

Felt very good about run. My intent/goal was to try and run the distance without walking and without injury. Wasn't trying to "race" it this time. Tried to pace it nice and slow. Felt stronger on the 2nd kilometer and was able to start putting some lean into it. I ran 1km to water station/turn around and walked a short distance while drinking some water then continued running to the finish.

Nothing really, other than as I progress with my training program, I will begin to put more lean (speed) into it.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around race site alot taking in the whole race atmosphere, awards, etc. and didn't do any stretching until about 2:00 when we were getting ready to leave. When I do a longer race, I would do the stretching immediately. Did leg drains when I got home; foam roller before bed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much other than it was the 1st race after being off exactly one year with an injury. Didn't start running again till April and have been very careful adding that back into routine.

Event comments:

Great race; great start to season. No aches, pains, or muscle tightness after race or the next day either.

Last updated: 2007-06-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:46 | 300 meters | 02m 35s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/7
Overall: 69/96
Performance: Good
Pace was 2.59 based on crossing timing pad but the 300 meter mark was at the last buoy which I clocked about 7.46. When I put in my time of 8.56 here, the autocalc comes out at 2.9?
Suit: No wetsuit
Course: Rectangle swim. Spring fed lake. Some weeds. Quite a few actually. Freaked me out in the warm up; but didn't bother me in the race. Actually found looking at them had a calming influence.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:09
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:20:46 | 10 kms | 28.89 km/hr
Age Group: 1/7
Overall: 25/96
Didn't wear HR monitor, but didn't feel like I was dying on the bike.
Wind: Some
Course: Pushed hard on the bike; fairly flat to start with a gentle incline; course had rolling hills and some wind coming back in on the 2nd half of course causing speed to get down to 21 km/hr for a bit; had a bit of an issue with changing to low gear and the brake coming on; have to be careful with that. Gave it 110% and felt really good; VERY thirsty on bike; drank water and able to keep speed up.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:14:03 | 02 kms | 07m 01s  min/km
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 57/96
After pushing really hard on the bike because I wanted a good average pace, I figured there would be no way I would be able to run. However, chi running off the bike is really easy.
Course: Basically flat. First part paved, then loose gravel - not really nice to run on - then more pavement. Partly tree-lined.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes