Team Magic
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 52s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 10/20
Pre-race routine:

I've been sick and still am so my pre-race routine was a little different this time. I ate half a powerbar and drank Gatorade.
Event warmup:

I stretched and then got in the water to get the feel back. I swam about 50 meters.
Swim
  • 08m 13s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim was enjoyable. I'm not a strong swimmer and I've been very sick. Before that swim I'd not swam in about 13 days. The water was the clearest and cleanest I'd ever seen in a lake. The time trial start was awesome. There was little if any crowding and the conditions could not have been more perfect.
What would you do differently?:

The only thing I would change is more OWS prep before this race. I feel that if I wouldn't have been sick I could have cut my time down even more.
Transition 1
  • 03m 11s
Comments:

Coming into T1 I used swimmers ear because i'd had so many ear issues. I really didn't rush T1 because I was doing this race to finish. Also, on leaving T1 I had issues getting my clips in my shoes and I really was not rushing to get them in.

I would have ran in from the swim sliped on my bike shoes without socks. I wouldn't have used swimmer ear and I would have jumped on my bike once I was out.
Bike
  • 48m 24s
  • 13 miles
  • 16.11 mile/hr
Comments:

There were two turn around points one going down hill which made for the climb back up very difficult because all momentum was lost. The turn around bottle necked a bit because they we're quite sharp but it was nothing too bad. Even though this bike course was challenging it was still doable.

I don't know if there is anything I'd do differently except compete healthy. My coughing during the bike was annoying and effected my breathing. I kept my heart rate as low as I could and just did a nice casual bike ride. I stood up on many up hills to give me a little push. Next time hoping that I'm healthly I'll be able to really push it on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

I didn't take my bike shoes off I just unclipped and climbed off the bike. I sat down to change into my shoes and took a GU because I felt I need a little sugar.

Have my feet on top my shoes, jump off my bike, slip on my running shoes grab cap and go!
Run
  • 26m 35s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I was not expecting the run to be hilly due to the pre-race meeting. I was happy most of it was shady but it was getting super hot outside. When I got out of T2 my legs felt like jello most likely due to the fact that i'd not done any training of any kind for 10 days. My muscles felt weak. I was surprised by my first mile and decided to slow it down a bit because I was getting light headed. When I finished I wasn't out of breath but my lungs and ears we're killing me. I feel like I should have pushed a little harder toward the end but I don't think I had it in me.

Be more prepared. Push harder toward the end don't leave any in the tank.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a little, grabbed a banana, a poweraid and a PB&J. Stretched a little but should have stretched more.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My body. I was still sick and had not recovered and I think that effected me more then anything.

Event comments:

This is a great race for beginners or those who are looking for some competition. I will totally do this race again and recommend it to anyone looking for a great, competitive, well put together tri!

Last updated: 2007-03-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:13 | 400 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/20
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Two piece tri Zoot Suit with Goody Sponsered Top
Course: Time Trial start. I was number 331. Rectangular course.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:11
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:48:24 | 13 miles | 16.11 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/20
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: The bike course is on nicely paved roads with a bike lane in Oak Mountain State Park. The course a one loop / out-and-back course on the main park drive (Findlay Drive) and Terrace Drive. This beautiful course is very hilly with some nice fast sections as well.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:26:35 | 03 miles | 08m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/20
Performance: Below average
Mile 1- 8:20 Mile 2- 9:20 Mile 3- 9:00
Course: The run course is out-and-back on state park quiet roads. The area through the woods is a paved, but an unimproved road, so watch your footing. The run is a mix of flat and slightly rolling sections through the woods. If anyone tells you the run is flat they are lying!
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-06-11 9:49 AM

User image

Subject: Buster Britton Memorial Triathlon

2007-06-11 3:36 PM
in reply to: #838738

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Buster Britton Memorial Triathlon
You did so good on your swim. Maybe next time you can beat me!! Love you babe!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buster Britton Memorial Triathlon Rss Feed