General Discussion Race Reports! » Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin
United States
Elkhart Lake Multisports
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 137/296
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 17/26
Pre-race routine:

Didn't get too much sleep. Was too excited to relly relax. Woke up before the alarm went off and headed to the race. Ate a Cliff Bar and drank 32 oz. Powerade to hydrate.
Event warmup:

Probablay my biggest mistake. idn't reallt do anything except for a little stretching. To be honest it didn't even enter my mind to do anything, until I was waiting to start and then realized, "Hey i didn't warm up!"
Swim
  • 04m 42s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went well. About what i expected. The only problem that I had were my goggles fogged up and cause for some "comfort" issues. I swam the same and passed a lot of people on the far outside. I thought I navigated through the crowd quite easily. I was proud of myself for that, never really had to do that. The time trial start was a little different, and probably not my preference.
What would you do differently?:

The way that the event was organized, it was difficult to get wet before the start of the race. Could defog the goggles.
Transition 1
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

My first shot at starting on the bike with the shoes clipped in. I struggled a bit. i was out quickly from the T1 area, got a good head of steam before jumping on the bike, but there was a slight grade uphill and my speed quickly disapated. Struggled getting my feet in, so overall it was probably a wash.

The time is only an estimate, since i lost my timing chip in the T1 area. I have to either practice getting into my shoes, or scrap the idea all together.
Bike
  • 45m 43s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 16.31 mile/hr
Comments:

Since i lost my chip, this is an estimate based on my computer on my bike. I felt pretty strong on the flats and passed a few people so i gauged myself as doing pretty well. The hills really hurt me, I had no juice left to get up them efficiently. I felt I was in the aero position more often and that helped.

I need to increase my cadence on lower gears and start pushing a little more into the 23-23 mph on the flats. My goal is to get into the 18's for average.
Transition 2
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

I felt this was a good transition for me. Again an estimate, but I took a mid pack time guestimate. I was able to take the shoes off, while still pedaling and my dismount went wll. Had strength i my legs and didn't hobble as much as i thought I would.

Can't really say too much, i was pretty satisfied with how i did.
Run
  • 28m 5s
  • 2.49 miles
  • 11m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Absolutely the weakest part of my event. I struggled with just about every stride. Couldn't find my comfort pace and had to stop a number of times to catch my breath. I worked hard at doing more run training and i was really disappointed that i wasn't able to reap the benefits. Very disappointed with myself on this race. I either need to run more or get mentally tough to run through the pain and get my Azz moving.

Find my pace sooner and try to get into a pace that I am comfortable with.
Post race
Warm down:

Tried walking a bit, but saw my girls, hugged and kissed them and talked to friend and family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My fat azz.

Event comments:

Great first race of the season. Great to see other Donkeys and a beautiful setting.

Last updated: 2007-02-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:42 | 437 yards | 01m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/26
Overall: 13/296
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vengence
Course: Triangular
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:40
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:45:43 | 12.43 miles | 16.31 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/26
Overall: 0/296
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:05 | 02.49 miles | 11m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/26
Overall: 0/296
Performance: Bad
Course: Hilly
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-06-11 10:25 AM

User image

Subject: Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2007-06-11 11:00 AM
in reply to: #838819

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: RE: Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Glad to hear your race went well.

Like you, i suffered a bit on the run of my first race this season mainly because of heat and the fact that I did not do enough brick workouts beforehand. Consider adding some short runs after every bike ride and watch your transition to the run improve quickly.

Good job!
2007-06-11 11:53 AM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Good to meet you AJ!  Nice job!
2007-06-11 12:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI
Good race, AJ!! Sorry you weren't able to stay around and hang out for the afternoon. I'm sure we'll train more as the summer goes on for some more hills.
2007-06-12 9:09 PM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Good Race! As always a great swim! Looking forward to more training this summer!

eawwwwwww
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed