General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Women's Triathlon Series - Austin Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Danskin Women's Triathlon Series - Austin - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
Danskin
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 51m 51s
Overall Rank = 1027/2601
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 211/477
Pre-race routine:

Well, since the race was out of town. I stayed in a hotel with 5 other women. We HAD to go shopping at the outlet malls for our prerace relaxation the day before. Sunday morning, the wakeup call came at 4:35 AM. I ate a banana, luna bar and had a few sips of coffee. I drank some water on the way to the race. I said a few prayers and hoped my mom was thinking of me...she's good at praying! I needed it for the OWS!
Event warmup:

We had to park and ride a school bus to the event. So I didn't have time to warm-up. I got my stuff laid out for transition and then walked around. I was a little nervous considering this was my first OWS. I chatted with the other ladies in our group. Then we seperated into our waves.
Swim
  • 25m 32s
  • 820 yards
  • 03m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

I didn't drown!!! I was nervous about this event. This was my first OWS EVER! I stayed to the back of my wave to enter the water. It took me a few minutes to adjust to the water. The lake was very calm. I tried different strokes...freestyle, side stroke and even flipped to my back. I just wanted to stay calm. I found that doing the freestyle was the easiest for me to get through the water. I actually enjoyed my swim. I stayed on course. I didn't feel tired or nervous. I was really proud of myself for staying calm and just doing it! It was also comforting to know I had support if I needed it from the swim angels and kayaks.
What would you do differently?:

I need to be more efficient in the water. I breathe too often. I also need to trust myself more and not start at the back of the pack. I found myself thinking about food halfway through the water! I think I should eat more before the race.
Transition 1
  • 05m 51s
Comments:

Okay, so I'm slow at this transition. I was just so excited about making it out of the water. I found my bike easily and I had all my stuff laid out. I dried my feet well because of all the dirt, pebbles, etc. that I had to cross to get to my bike. I chatted with the ladies next to me. Ate a cliff bar and drank some water...I was soooo hungry after the swim.

STOP CHATTING!!!
Bike
  • 44m 37s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 16.72 mile/hr
Comments:

I really liked this course. Some of the hills were killers, but I pushed hard and made it up. I loved some of the downhills. I've only ridden my bike a few times and never on hills like this course. It was fantastic.

Pedal faster and harder on the straight ways. Not slow down so much on the corners.
Transition 2
  • 02m 14s
Comments:

Another slow transition...
Run
  • 33m 36s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I did not like this run at all! I couldn't find my groove. I ate a few jelly beans and drank some gatorade before starting the run. I got a side cramp really early on. I ended up walking at the water stations and then again up 2 hills. This was not my best effort!

I need to figure out what to eat that won't give me a cramp. I also need to practice transitioning from bike to run with hills!
Post race
Warm down:

Found my friends. Ate some crackers and a banana.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was overall pleased with my performance. I was disappointed in my run, but I allowed myself to take in easy because I felt like I did the best I could on the swim and bike.

Event comments:

I enjoyed this race! I was with a great group of ladies that made it even better than I had anticipated. I'll be back next year!

Last updated: 2007-04-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:32 | 820 yards | 03m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/477
Overall: 1604/2601
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: A horseshoe course around 3 buoys.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:51
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:37 | 12.43 miles | 16.72 mile/hr
Overall: 726/2601
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: quite hilly, but with some awesome downhills!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:14
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:36 | 03.1 miles | 10m 50s  min/mile
Overall: 1010/2601
Performance: Below average
Course: grassy trail run on a hilly terrain.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-11 10:31 AM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: Danskin Women's Triathlon Series - Austin

2007-06-11 11:29 AM
in reply to: #838834

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: RE: Danskin Women's Triathlon Series - Austin
AWESOME RACE! I must say that one thing I was thinking about on the bike was, "I wonder how Angela is doing? Is she going to kill me for talking her into doing this race?" There were LOTS of hills and I was thinking that if you were totally exhausted after the swim, it would be  not fun at all to be on that course. I was so surprised to see you running across the finish line with a big smile on your face. You really did awesome and should be very proud of yourself. You did great on the bike, I guess body pump is paying off as you haven't gotten too many rides in yet. We'll put some miles on this summer!
2007-06-11 1:49 PM
in reply to: #838834

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Subject: RE: Danskin Women's Triathlon Series - Austin
Great job! You did fantastic, and congrats on staying relaxed on the swim.  That is a really tough course over all, and you totally conquered it. Very nicely done, and I'll look forward to seeing you in more Austin-area races!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Women's Triathlon Series - Austin Rss Feed