United States
Out Loud Productions
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 03m 50s
Overall Rank = 58/629
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/56
Pre-race routine:

Drank a maltodextrin/protein shake @ 4:15 am. Headed out around 5:10 and arrived around 6:00.
Event warmup:

Hung out with my co-workers who were also doing the race
Swim
  • 12m 13s
  • 600 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

At Lonestar (1st triathlon) I started pretty far on the outside because I didn't know what to expect for the swim and it turned out that I finished towards the front of my wave. Because of this, I decided to start at the front of the wave for the swim. The first 100 yards went pretty well and I was able to stay in front and kept the conact to a minimum. Around 200 yards, I started to feel REALLY overexerted. I guess I went out a little too fast in order to stay at the front. At about the same time, I choked on some water during a couple of breaths and started to panick slightly. This swim was DEFINATLEY not going as well as the swim at Lonestar. I'm not sure if it was the lack of a wetsuit, the less bouyant freshwater or me going out too fast (probably all three) but I was definatley not comfortable. I ended up finally calming down and getting into a little bit of a rythm with about 200 yards left. Finished 7th in my AG so all in all it wasn't too bad but I certainly didn't enjoy it.
What would you do differently?:

More OWS would be nice. This was my second one with the first being at Lonestar. I also think I slacked off a bit on my swim training over the last couple of months
Transition 1
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

I was pretty exhausted after the swim and my T1 time definatley reflects that! I wasn't concentrating very well and took waaaay too long to put on my socks. I still don't have biking shoes and clip in pedals so I put on my running shoes in T1

Push a little harder and work on the swim...it seem to set the pace for my T1
Bike
  • 29m 33s
  • 11 miles
  • 22.34 mile/hr
Comments:

In my last race, the bike was by far my weakest leg. Not sure what happened this time but I averaged 22.3 mph! That's way fatser than I had planned. My Lonestar average was only 18.7 mph. I never felt really winded and I was able to keep a good cadence and worked the gears really well. I think I might be getting the hang of this.

Nothing - did much better than I expected
Transition 2
  • 00m 35s
Comments:

Already had my running shoes on (see T1) so this was a fast transition. #1 in my AG and 15th fastest overall

Nothing. Once I get cycling shoes and clip-in pedals, this will be something that needs practicing
Run
  • 19m 7s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Definately my strong point. I was figuring I would go about 6:40-6:50 a mile and blew that away! First mile was 6:08 and I forgot to check on mile 2. I had a guy running with me from the very start until mile 1.5 so that was pretty nice.

Not much. Went better than expected. I tried to drink some water at mile 2 but I ended up choking on it like I did coming out of T2 at Lonestar...gotta stop doing that. Poured water over my head at mile 1 and 2 and it felt pretty darn nice.
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with my finacee at the finish and we cheered on the other guys from work. got some Accelorade, water and a banana

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sub par swimming. Also need to get some cycling shoes and clip-in pedals

Event comments:

Race was very well run with plenty of support and traffic control on the course. Had a really good time.

Last updated: 2007-06-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:13 | 600 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/56
Overall: 100/629
Performance: Below average
Suit: None
Course: Out and back with the start and finish being about 25 yds apart. Course had two turns, one at the turnaround and another about 100 yds from the finish
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:23
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:29:33 | 11 miles | 22.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/56
Overall: 181/629
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Due to a lsat minute change, the course was a double loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:35
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:19:07 | 03 miles | 06m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/56
Overall: 18/629
Performance: Good
Course: Very nice shaded one-loop course
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-11 10:54 AM

User image

Houston, TX
Subject: Tejas Triathlon

2007-06-11 12:31 PM
in reply to: #838901

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Subject: RE: Tejas Triathlon
Smokin fast run there.

Once you nail down the swimming and get the biking details squared away, you're going to be knocking down some seriously fast races.

Great job.

See you at a race in the future.
2007-06-11 1:27 PM
in reply to: #838901

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Tejas Triathlon
Great job on the race! The warm water also had something to do with feeling overexherted I'm sure. You have a great base to build on and really be fast in the future!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tejas Triathlon Rss Feed